Super V ground up build - sharing the experience

MichaelHiFi

Re: Super V ground up build - sharing the experience
« Reply #240 on: 16 Mar 2012, 08:09 pm »
When I built my V-1s I thought about that as well. I put 9' long cables from the amps to the speaker, lets me adjust while in my seat,although I have to bend down to the floor. Was afraid this might be a problem, but turns out not.
I have been playing around with REW.....its amazing how such a small adjustment or two on the sub amps can change the graph so dramatically.
Room treatments for me brought out the best in my V-1s...Glad I took the plunge
Your supers look beautiful Micheal, congrats!!

Perry

Thanks Perry,

I'm trying to come up with what REW stands for   :scratch:

DeeJayBump

« Reply #241 on: 16 Mar 2012, 08:19 pm »
Thanks Perry,

I'm trying to come up with what REW stands for   :scratch:

REW = Room EQ Wizard:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

Danny Richie

« Reply #242 on: 16 Mar 2012, 08:30 pm »
When I built my V-1s I thought about that as well. I put 9' long cables from the amps to the speaker, lets me adjust while in my seat,although I have to bend down to the floor. Was afraid this might be a problem, but turns out not.

Actually that will cause some delay in the woofer correction and control.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #243 on: 16 Mar 2012, 08:52 pm »
Thanks Danny......so what does that mean exactly.....the servos are running behind a bit? What effect should I be trying to identify? and how long should the max length be?
I haven't heard a problem so far.....

mojave

« Reply #244 on: 16 Mar 2012, 09:03 pm »
Actually that will cause some delay in the woofer correction and control.
The delay with one ft of cable is .93 nanosecond (a nanosecond is 1 billionth of a second). It will take 8.37 nanoseconds if you increase the length to 9 ft. How can 7.44 billionths of a second even be relevant?

Danny Richie

« Reply #245 on: 16 Mar 2012, 11:49 pm »
Brian recommends that the amps stay close to the woofers. The longer the lengths the more it effects the control.

Personally I add no wire length to the path and just use the wiring from the amp straight to the SpeakOn connector that plugs into the speaker.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #246 on: 17 Mar 2012, 01:17 am »
I have one sub with 15' of cable.... :dunno:  I wonder what is affected. 

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #247 on: 17 Mar 2012, 03:13 am »
I'm going to build 2 extension cables for setup.  :thumb:

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #248 on: 17 Mar 2012, 02:52 pm »
. . . I just ordered the rest of the super-v parts from Danny. . .

I blame Michael.  :green:

. . . Now I need to figure out where to go to get cabinets done. . .

:beer:

tasar

« Reply #249 on: 17 Mar 2012, 04:34 pm »
Johnathon......I've got the complete Super V thing going here in Traverse City, MI.......you can sail on over. PDR is correct, the affects from room treatments and a cryo wired power supply, done well, trump anything in the PC, IC, and amplification dept.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #250 on: 18 Mar 2012, 01:10 am »
All dressed up and no one to share.

Soundstage I noted was skewed so I took a bias measurement and discovered that the settings were all over the place. I think I have 1 bad tube as I couldn't set the bias low enough. IO replaced the 6922 but didn't have a spare set of 12AX7's which I think is one of the culprits.

I'm really getting anxious to get my amp back. I'm also in a strange place with that amp. The owner's Dad passed so I've been patient regarding at least a phone call that never happened. It's been almost a month. Now I'm sitting here with an amp on order and a the same used burned up amp in limbo.  :?

morganc

« Reply #251 on: 18 Mar 2012, 01:39 am »
Hi Michael,
    I will trade you an amp for some measurements :).  I've got a 300b or the decware.......

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #252 on: 18 Mar 2012, 03:24 am »
Hi Michael,
    I will trade you an amp for some measurements :).  I've got a 300b or the decware.......

I'm waiting for you. My door is open  :green:

Cheeseboy

« Reply #253 on: 18 Mar 2012, 05:39 am »
Morgan you are one stand up guy!

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #254 on: 18 Mar 2012, 03:24 pm »
Morgan you are one stand up guy!

Now stand over here!  :lol:

I wish I would have known about the top driver gasket install and NOT have installed them.  :evil:

To pull them gaskets off will leave a mess and a very ugly looking driver. To leave them on pushes the grill away from the cabinet. Sucks. This will be on my lessons learned list.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #255 on: 18 Mar 2012, 04:52 pm »
And not in the sweet spot
Hope it all works out

rythmik

• Industry Participant
    • Rythmik Audio
« Reply #256 on: 21 Mar 2012, 05:32 pm »
15 ft of cable length is ok.  I tried 25' before. The servo feedback cable should be properly shielded for long run.  The feedback signal is pretty high level signal strength (2V all the way to 40V or higher depending on frequency). So it is already relatively immune to noise. Adding shielding will make it more robust. If one uses regular line level cable, use one that has high dieletric voltage  strength.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #257 on: 21 Mar 2012, 05:41 pm »
15 ft of cable length is ok.  I tried 25' before. The servo feedback cable should be properly shielded for long run.  The feedback signal is pretty high level signal strength (2V all the way to 40V or higher depending on frequency). So it is already relatively immune to noise. Adding shielding will make it more robust. If one uses regular line level cable, use one that has high dieletric voltage  strength.
Great to see you here Brian!   :thumb:

Stop by more.   :D

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #258 on: 21 Mar 2012, 10:31 pm »

I was going to use a 2 pair individually shielded 18awg 300 volt cable with an overall shield. Just need to locate the appropriate connectors.

The sub cables just shipped.  :thumb:
Steve at Decware is working on my burned amp. Not sure how this will be handled but I'm sure missing that amp :?
Interesting to note that in listening to the Super V's last night, detail retrieval in female vocals was amazing. It was a fun listening session  8)
I flipped on the PEQ and dialed up a bit of mid-bass. Still have some learning curve with the rythmic as I lost the instructions  :duh:  Better look for a download.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #259 on: 22 Mar 2012, 02:35 am »
Still have some learning curve with the rythmic as I lost the instructions  :duh:  Better look for a download.

I knew I saved this for just such emergencies. . . :D  Michael, if you can't find it otherwise, PM me your email address (or send me an email) and I'll send you a .pdf of it.

:beer: