Super V ground up build - sharing the experience

MichaelHiFi

Re: Super V ground up build - sharing the experience
« Reply #200 on: 13 Mar 2012, 10:31 pm »
Can you borrow a skill saw?  I used a cheap cordless skill saw on my No Rez, and it worked perfectly (Sears brand).

I would discourage using a knife.  When I tried brand new razors with my No Rez, it dulled them in one or two passes, which just leads to tearing and sloppy looks.  Since your No Rez is visible (unlike mine) you want nice straight cuts.  I would try to find a miter saw, table saw, skil saw or anything else that is sharp and spins really fast.

No Rez is tough as heck.  I didn't believe until I tried cutting it myself.

Oops, right, I have a battery powered saw.  :oops:  That'll probably do the trick. Thanks

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #201 on: 13 Mar 2012, 10:37 pm »
I really like the copper look and agree that black grill fabric would look best.

I am going to try cutting my No Rez with an electric carving knife. I've used one on OC703 but not No Rez. I think I read somewhere that someone else had tried it on No Rez.

I ordered the black grill cloth from PartExpress, the double thick type really black version  :)

Along with that I ordered from Morrow Cables a 3 meter pair of their reference sub cables.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #202 on: 13 Mar 2012, 10:39 pm »
.......... maybe attendees can bring some amps for comparisons  :scratch: :green:

and of course, some wine  :wine:

By all means, wine and amps are a friendly welcome at the De Salvo home.   :wine:

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #203 on: 13 Mar 2012, 10:42 pm »
I'd love to hear my Cherry amp with those bad mammer jammers. 

It might be too much power but they do say that "power is your friend"

That is a great color combo.  Curtains and Super Vs.

Don't know what power the Cherry can do but the Onix is working 46 watts and will take these suckers to concert level. Played Eminence Front by The Who last night. We were  :banana piano:

It was spooky good.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #204 on: 14 Mar 2012, 03:31 pm »
I'm so glad you like the super V.  The dancing on top the piano emoticon says the same thing as goosebumps. 

The Cherry is a 380 Watts/Channel digital amp.  I just want to hear it on the Super V's.  They say it is SET like.  It would be a good reference. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #205 on: 14 Mar 2012, 10:46 pm »
Don't know what power the Cherry can do but the Onix is working 46 watts and will take these suckers to concert level. Played Eminence Front by The Who last night. We were  :banana piano:

It was spooky good.
............... I suppose 500 w/channel 8 ohms/1,000 w/channel 4 ohms is total overkill then...........

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #206 on: 15 Mar 2012, 04:16 am »
Dad and I just got through listening to Radiohead - In Rainbows.

I'm at a loss for description. This after listening to Genesis - Trick Of The Tail. I thought that CD was limited in dynamic range. Boy was I wrong. Holly crap. Dad can't believe it, I can't believe it.  :shake:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #207 on: 15 Mar 2012, 04:20 am »
High sensitivity, open baffle, concentric drivers, waveguided tweeters, servo bass.... Danny does a LOT right with this design :)

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #208 on: 15 Mar 2012, 02:03 pm »
*mutters to self* I'm happy with my X-Statiks. I'm happy with my X-Statiks.  I'm happy with my X-Statiks.... (sigh)

Tyson

« Reply #209 on: 15 Mar 2012, 04:48 pm »
At RMAF, every year that he's brought the Super V's, they have had the best bass of any room in the show.  We are talking about $75k speakers it's going against.  Mids/highs were always good, but not among the very best at show.  With the latest cap upgrade, that changed.  IMO, the Super V's were right up there with the very best speakers in the world and in most cases, better.  I can't believe how cheap they are, Danny should charge a LOT more for these (but don't tell him that!).

LarryB

« Reply #210 on: 15 Mar 2012, 05:11 pm »
The Super V's greatest strength is (to my ears) its bass.  I am curious as to how long it will take other manufacturers and designers to recognize the benefits of servo-controlled subs.

I eagerly await the new BG driver-based line of speakers Danny is working on.

Larry

Andre2

« Reply #211 on: 15 Mar 2012, 05:41 pm »
ya'll are almost convincing me to take the 7 hr drive from Houston, drive there, spend 5k or so, and get that ugly yellow (sorry, but i think it is ugly) he has for sale...

Danny Richie

« Reply #212 on: 15 Mar 2012, 05:43 pm »
ya'll are almost convincing me to take the 7 hr drive from Houston, drive there, spend 5k or so, and get that ugly yellow (sorry, but i think it is ugly) he has for sale...

The Yellow pair is still available and currently being demo'ed at Gary Dodd's house in Dallas.

And by the way, the side panels can be unscrewed and removed. Then they can be painted any color that you want.

Andre2

« Reply #213 on: 15 Mar 2012, 05:49 pm »
i was gonna ask that...

I got a pair of xtra tall N3s last year and I am happy with them for my home office.  these would be for a system in a larger living room...

hummmm, i wanted to get a new rolex this year.  now... rolex or superv... superv vs rolex... decisions, decisions, decisions.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #214 on: 15 Mar 2012, 06:08 pm »
i was gonna ask that...

I got a pair of xtra tall N3s last year and I am happy with them for my home office.  these would be for a system in a larger living room...

hummmm, i wanted to get a new rolex this year.  now... rolex or superv... superv vs rolex... decisions, decisions, decisions.

Oh, let me help with that decision. :icon_twisted: Cheap out on the watch and go with the V. Rolex only tells time anyway, and your phone does that already But one NEEDS speakers, right? 

See,  so easy for me to spend your money, its a no-brainer....

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #215 on: 15 Mar 2012, 06:16 pm »
i was gonna ask that...

Submariner!   :wink:

Tyson

« Reply #216 on: 15 Mar 2012, 06:38 pm »
Sea Dweller would be my choice for a nice Rolex, but I think the Super V's are a better deal, particularly already built.

BobRex

« Reply #217 on: 15 Mar 2012, 06:44 pm »
The Super V's greatest strength is (to my ears) its bass.  I am curious as to how long it will take other manufacturers and designers to recognize the benefits of servo-controlled subs.
Larry

Ummm, other manufacturers have been using servo controlled subs for decades.  You can go as far back as the early 80's to Infinity and the IRS.  (edit - actually probably back to the 70's, I believe the Servostatics used a servo controlled woofer - hence the name.)

Maybe the trick is to use servos with open baffles?  No, wait, didn't Gradient do that in the late 80's / early 90's?

So you see, the trick isn't in the technology, just the application of it.

Andre2

« Reply #218 on: 15 Mar 2012, 06:49 pm »
we digress way off topic here... but, yeah submariner, black and gold, with diamonds :D   miser $14k change.

I got my relative good hi-fi system last year (existing cdp, new: EEminimax dac, EE M88, and N3s), i think this year I will go for the rolex.  maybe 2013 I will get a new system with the super Vs for the living room, God willing.

Danny, if Gary Dodd ever has a, lets say, listening night with friends, please let me know.  I could drive there for a listen.   :D

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #219 on: 15 Mar 2012, 07:37 pm »
we digress way off topic here... but, yeah submariner, black and gold, with diamonds :D   miser $14k change.
I've got a GREAT contact if you need one....PM if you need it. 

Back to Super V's.......