Super V ground up build - sharing the experience

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Super V ground up build - sharing the experience
« Reply #180 on: 12 Mar 2012, 12:27 am »
Once you hear a really good OB speaker, it's hard to go back to box speakers :)

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #181 on: 12 Mar 2012, 02:33 am »
Welcome to the Super-V family!   :thumb:

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #182 on: 12 Mar 2012, 03:23 am »
Thanks guys  :D

Hear that? OMFG.  :thumb:

Just listened to David Gilmour and B-Tribe. Wife queued up Spheers something guitar works. Sounds awesome even from the office!

I'm getting why speakers in cabinets is a compromised design. Maybe that's why I loved Vandersteens?

Did I mention the bass?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #183 on: 12 Mar 2012, 03:44 am »
Dang, I've got to get a listen to these things. It just seems that everyone who spends any time with them comes away impressed.

And by the way, nice work on the build MichaelHiFi, they look sharp.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #184 on: 12 Mar 2012, 04:42 am »
I'm really wanting to hear the Super V's with my Decware amp. As good as its sounding with the Onix  :duh:

Need to ditch the Monster cables and find some 3 meter interconnects. A few kind souls mentioned some cables in this thread and Danny lent me some Electra's he probably won't get back.

But honestly there's not much to complain about at this early stage other than the sound of fresh electronic haze. Not to be confused with clarity as these things are revealing but not in an unnatural sense. More on this later.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #185 on: 12 Mar 2012, 04:45 am »
Bolder Cables mate exceptionally well with the V series speakers, IMO.  And they are a forum sponsor :)  Bolder Nitro speaker cables and interconnects all the way!

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #186 on: 12 Mar 2012, 08:12 pm »
Bolder Cables mate exceptionally well with the V series speakers, IMO.  And they are a forum sponsor :)  Bolder Nitro speaker cables and interconnects all the way!

Those are pretty expensive interconnects (they don't show pricing for 3 meter) for performing duties from 200Hz on down.

Not saying they aren't worth it, but I'd rather spend money on cables that perform the harder to perform duty of 200Hz on up.

I would love to hear the differences in interconnects that run to those plate amps. Anyone here with experience?

nickd

« Reply #187 on: 12 Mar 2012, 09:23 pm »
Welcome to the Super V club Michael! :thumb:

Don't delay on the No Rez. It makes quite a difference in the bass, maybe even more than high dollar cables on the sub amps? It really made a difference on mine (note: my cabinets are baltic birch plywood). Everything just had better focus and the bass really tightened up.

Enjoy, more fun coming as they settle in and smooth out :D

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #188 on: 13 Mar 2012, 04:06 am »
Welcome to the Super V club Michael! :thumb:

Don't delay on the No Rez. It makes quite a difference in the bass, maybe even more than high dollar cables on the sub amps? It really made a difference on mine (note: my cabinets are baltic birch plywood). Everything just had better focus and the bass really tightened up.

Enjoy, more fun coming as they settle in and smooth out :D

I was thinking about that but enjoyed the speakers too much to bother this evening.

The thought also came to me that I need to twist the wires together where 2 conductors are terminated at 1 post. One also seems to lose the secure game. Thought about silver soldering those suckers too. I need to finish the tie wrap clamping program with all the wires as well. And I haven't secured the x-over boxes yet.

I bought some samples online of some grill cloth. During our listening tonight, we are now leaning towards black because the copper simply looks amazing in our room. Black grill cloth might just highlight this point the best.

How do you cut the no-rez?

and thanks for the welcome!   :wave:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #189 on: 13 Mar 2012, 04:33 am »
Looking good.....congrats...their very good speakers..enjoy!!!  :beer:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #190 on: 13 Mar 2012, 04:56 am »
Need to ditch the Monster cables and find some 3 meter interconnects. A few kind souls mentioned some cables in this thread and Danny lent me some Electra's he probably won't get back.

If you like the Electra's, it probably makes sense to stick with them.  I know that they are what Danny uses in his system, so his speakers are voiced with them.... and they are about 1/2 the price of the Bolder cables that Tyson mentioned. 

Nick77

« Reply #191 on: 13 Mar 2012, 10:53 am »
   How do you cut the no-rez?

You can use either sisors or razor knife but tablesaw makes real easy work of it.

mojave

« Reply #192 on: 13 Mar 2012, 02:18 pm »
I really like the copper look and agree that black grill fabric would look best.

I am going to try cutting my No Rez with an electric carving knife. I've used one on OC703 but not No Rez. I think I read somewhere that someone else had tried it on No Rez.

jparkhur

« Reply #193 on: 13 Mar 2012, 02:34 pm »
I prefer the table saw method for crisp clean cuts.... 

Cheeseboy

« Reply #194 on: 13 Mar 2012, 03:52 pm »
Extra ears checking in!

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #195 on: 13 Mar 2012, 05:04 pm »
I prefer the table saw method for crisp clean cuts....

Don't have a table saw.  :cry:  I do have a compound sliding miter with a broken guard  :?

Speakers are breaking in. Need to get a get-to-gether scheduled soon! Like to have my Decware amp but that's in a holding pattern.

tasar

« Reply #196 on: 13 Mar 2012, 05:55 pm »
Mike.......IMO, and I've done it with mine, you can simply run hi level jumpers to the plates. Hearing an audible difference, versus low level feeds, is quite subjective, power supplies and room treatments considered. Save your money for the latter.

freerider

« Reply #197 on: 13 Mar 2012, 06:00 pm »
Can you borrow a skill saw?  I used a cheap cordless skill saw on my No Rez, and it worked perfectly (Sears brand).

I would discourage using a knife.  When I tried brand new razors with my No Rez, it dulled them in one or two passes, which just leads to tearing and sloppy looks.  Since your No Rez is visible (unlike mine) you want nice straight cuts.  I would try to find a miter saw, table saw, skil saw or anything else that is sharp and spins really fast.

No Rez is tough as heck.  I didn't believe until I tried cutting it myself.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #198 on: 13 Mar 2012, 06:40 pm »
Don't have a table saw.  :cry:  I do have a compound sliding miter with a broken guard  :?

Speakers are breaking in. Need to get a get-to-gether scheduled soon! Like to have my Decware amp but that's in a holding pattern.

.......... maybe attendees can bring some amps for comparisons  :scratch: :green:

and of course, some wine  :wine:

Cheeseboy

« Reply #199 on: 13 Mar 2012, 07:33 pm »
I'd love to hear my Cherry amp with those bad mammer jammers. 

It might be too much power but they do say that "power is your friend"

That is a great color combo.  Curtains and Super Vs.