Super V ground up build - sharing the experience

MichaelHiFi

Re: Super V ground up build - sharing the experience
« Reply #20 on: 24 Jan 2012, 09:10 pm »
Dang those UPS guys are tough on this stuff. I hope all looks good on the inside.

Oh, UPS. Unusually Poor Service.

Hope I didn't offend anyone but after we went through on a UPS claim from a busted Dynaudio...

Rclark

« Reply #21 on: 24 Jan 2012, 11:35 pm »
Just imagine if UPS was the only game in town.

Bizarroterl

« Reply #22 on: 24 Jan 2012, 11:55 pm »
My experience with UPS et al is to pack it so that if it were dropped 3' onto a concrete floor multiple times from different angles and it survives it might make it in one piece.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #23 on: 25 Jan 2012, 01:24 am »
To be honest Bizarroter I think you might try 10'. Oh wait, that was my FedEx experience... :evil:

All is well. Only one piece got crunched and its fixable.

Wow, nice kit. How the hell do I put it together?  :scratch:

I'll try to post pics but it seems AudioC doesn't play well with Lightroom.

Danny Richie

« Reply #24 on: 25 Jan 2012, 01:36 am »
I think I e-mailed you some instructions. Let me know if you did not get them.

To be honest Bizarroter I think you might try 10'. Oh wait, that was my FedEx experience... :evil:

All is well. Only one piece got crunched and its fixable.

Wow, nice kit. How the hell do I put it together?  :scratch:

I'll try to post pics but it seems AudioC doesn't play well with Lightroom.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #25 on: 25 Jan 2012, 01:54 am »

This is what we received   :thumb:

Now we're thinking Vitamin C. That's the color of the Veloster in the background. if you look at the room these beauties are going in - the Southwest motif - it might look great  :dunno:

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #26 on: 25 Jan 2012, 01:58 am »
I think I e-mailed you some instructions. Let me know if you did not get them.

Don't see the instructions  :dunno:

Danny Richie

« Reply #27 on: 25 Jan 2012, 03:05 am »
Don't see the instructions  :dunno:

Okay, shoot me over your e-mail address and I'll fire them right over to you.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #28 on: 25 Jan 2012, 04:46 pm »
Many hands make for light work!

That's what I'm talkin about.  Vitamin C and Pooh Bear Yellow combination.  Or brown with Vitamin C.  or leatherette the front cross members.  Yippie yay yo Kayeh.   

Is it GIK that does the pictures on the room treatments?  A couple of Monument Valley scenes on your first reflection points and your set.  Personnally I'd go for some Hopi Indian Kachina Dolls.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #29 on: 25 Jan 2012, 05:47 pm »
Many hands make for light work!

That's what I'm talkin about.  Vitamin C and Pooh Bear Yellow combination.  Or brown with Vitamin C.  or leatherette the front cross members.  Yippie yay yo Kayeh.   

Is it GIK that does the pictures on the room treatments?  A couple of Monument Valley scenes on your first reflection points and your set.  Personnally I'd go for some Hopi Indian Kachina Dolls.

If you look hard enough - middle picture, top right, you'll see white aspen I brought from Taos back in 98'. Still looking to incooperate that  :oops:

What's GIK? I do the photo's. No glass is used because I don't like glass covering my shots  :nono:.

You didn't see the Kachina's?

Vitamin C and leatherate crossmember. You might be on to something. I need to make a decision whether to perform the automotive style paint job myself, or send it to a shop. I'm unsure as to what type of primer to use. Especially if I go 2 stage vs a single stage enamel. I might give House Of Color a call to see if anyone there is in the know. I also need to determine what pieces go Vitamin C, what go black (or brown or leatherette)

Where are the grills?

rockdrummer

« Reply #30 on: 25 Jan 2012, 06:23 pm »
I think some of the grill frames are leaning on the dolley in the middle picture.  If I'm not mistaken, you need to supply the grill cloth.

Ben

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #31 on: 25 Jan 2012, 06:46 pm »
I think some of the grill frames are leaning on the dolley in the middle picture.  If I'm not mistaken, you need to supply the grill cloth.

Ben

:duh: Guess I really need those instructions!

Danny Richie

« Reply #32 on: 25 Jan 2012, 06:49 pm »
:duh: Guess I really need those instructions!

E-mailing them right now...

rockdrummer

« Reply #33 on: 25 Jan 2012, 06:49 pm »
I'm just beginning to build a set of A/V-1 mini monitors.  I am jealous of your build.  Sounds really exciting.  Have fun and I bet they will look and sound phenomenal!

ben

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #34 on: 25 Jan 2012, 07:14 pm »

I need to make a decision whether to perform the automotive style paint job myself, or send it to a shop. I'm unsure as to what type of primer to use. Especially if I go 2 stage vs a single stage enamel. I might give House Of Color a call to see if anyone there is in the know. I also need to determine what pieces go Vitamin C, what go black (or brown or leatherette)

I've used high build urethane primer on MDF with good success. Something like this:

http://www.bodyshopsupplyms.com/page/2375_3&productID=5396&

or this:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/kspureprime.aspx

Topcoat with almost anything, base/clear will give best "piano" finish if that's what you're after.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #35 on: 25 Jan 2012, 08:53 pm »
GIK Acoustics makes room treatments and is the circle here at Audio Circle right above GR Research.  They would be able to take your original or some stock art work to cover acoustic treatments for your room.  Here is the web site

http://www.gikacoustics.com/

I'm not affiliated with them.  I'm just going to be doing my room soon.  The art work panels would work for me.
I was just feeling the vibe from the room picture an came up with the same theme you already had in mind.   How many people do you know that can identify a Kachina?  I spent many years hiking all over Hopi and Navejo reservations.  As long as you are building the speakers you could custom the room treatments to match.  Some solid color treatments on the ceiling (you could DIY those), curtains on a larger track that cover the whole backwall (you can DIY Those too) and GIK art work type of first reflection treaments would look really good. 

Cheeseboy

« Reply #36 on: 25 Jan 2012, 09:15 pm »
I forgot.  I'm a big fan of sealed rooms not ported.  They could help you with the big foam plug for the port in your room.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #37 on: 26 Jan 2012, 05:09 am »
You mean to tell me folks here don't port their rooms  :o

I think I'll try some of gikacoustics treatments - or those darn tuning cups.

Rclark

« Reply #38 on: 26 Jan 2012, 06:30 am »
I just noticed you have a brick driveway. Nice!

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #39 on: 26 Jan 2012, 03:35 pm »
Another good one is ATS Acoustics.