Have Bryston, need PMC

kbuzz3

Re: Have Bryston, need PMC
« Reply #20 on: 6 Apr 2012, 03:03 pm »
Sorry to open up an old thread.  But can anyone comment on the PMC smaller floorstanders like the GB1i

jimdgoulding

« Reply #21 on: 6 Apr 2012, 03:21 pm »
If you have the bread, the Fact 8 would be my pick.  Excellent reviews in the UK.

kbuzz3

« Reply #22 on: 6 Apr 2012, 03:57 pm »
the fact's look great but at 7K a bit over budget....

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #23 on: 6 Apr 2012, 07:40 pm »
Sorry to open up an old thread.  But can anyone comment on the PMC smaller floorstanders like the GB1i

Hi : I've heard the GB1i several times - the size of the cabinet vs. the bass they put out is a real mind-bender. I used to own the model up ( FB1i ). Can you tell us about the room and your system that you're thinking of adding the GB's to ?

D.D.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #24 on: 6 Apr 2012, 08:54 pm »
Try ATC. Better than PMC, imo.

kbuzz3

« Reply #25 on: 6 Apr 2012, 09:12 pm »
Hi : I've heard the GB1i several times - the size of the cabinet vs. the bass they put out is a real mind-bender. I used to own the model up ( FB1i ). Can you tell us about the room and your system that you're thinking of adding the GB's to ?

D.D.

thanks for the reply.  The room is small only 13 x 13 with 7-8 ceilings.  The mc would be used for front channels of a 5.1 system. Id being using it with a bryston 9b -with processor to be determined.  Thanks again

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #26 on: 6 Apr 2012, 09:27 pm »
thanks for the reply.  The room is small only 13 x 13 with 7-8 ceilings.  The mc would be used for front channels of a 5.1 system. Id being using it with a bryston 9b -with processor to be determined.  Thanks again

No issues filling up a room that size with those GB1i's. I think they'd make a really interesting HT speaker - punchy-sounding ( probably more so than my FB1's were, actually ) and they have a pretty small footprint so they aren't going to look overwhelming in a room that size. The synergy with your Bryston is a given. Sounds like a nice choice for your application to me FWIW. Check 'em out!

D.D.

kbuzz3

« Reply #27 on: 9 Apr 2012, 12:48 am »
D dog thanks for the additional comments.  Just stumbled across the pmc wafer....that looks interesting as well

Levi

« Reply #28 on: 9 Apr 2012, 04:27 am »
When I was in the market for PMC, I first auditioned the FB1 and liked.  Then I auditioned the OB1 in the next room and the extra mid-range driver made a huge difference in clarity and coherency in the mid.  I could be happy with the FB1 which is a good speaker but I stretched my budget and purchased the OB1.  It turns out, I made the right decision.

Yes indeed, lots of good info.  Thanks all.  I emailed the local PMC dealers from the PMC website.  One responded that I need to call him and no word from the other.  The OB1i sounds like what I should be looking at but with a daughter at a private university (sic 'em Bears) I am realistically looking at the GB1i or FB1i and used or a demo if at a good price.

Has anyone compared these with similar speakers from Totem, Vienna Acoustics and some of the internet direct sellers?

Vipers

« Reply #29 on: 9 Apr 2012, 02:35 pm »
D dog thanks for the additional comments.  Just stumbled across the pmc wafer....that looks interesting as well

The Wafers are fantastic speakers that have won numerous awards, we use both Wafer 1's and 2's in our demo room in a 7.1 setup, they are a very versatile speaker,  rightly or wrongly I like to think of the Wafer 1 as a flattened DB1i and the Wafer 2 as a flattened TB2i, they are very musical and never fail to impress, saying all that though for a 2 channel system I would go with the GB1i and upwards, or if you can dem the new 23's then in my opinion they are another step up in overall quality, especially in the top end detail.

In summary, the Wafers do an amazing job, especially if you want to be discreet, but if you can get away with a floorstander then that will always outperform in my opinion.

Vipers

« Reply #30 on: 9 Apr 2012, 02:43 pm »
Hi Vipers,
with your experience i'd be really interested to know how you think the MB2 XBD compares with the BB5i without XB3.
Have you had a chance to do a close comparison?
TIA
Tim

Sorry Tim, this has probably got to be the slowest reply ever.

Unfortunately I have never been able to compare the 2 directly, the way I understand though is that the MB2 XBD would be preferable as it would load the room better, as on the BB5i you get one 15" bass cone whereas on the MB2 XBD's you get 2 x 12" bass cones at different heights which could drive the room more efficiently.

As ever I guess it comes down to the individual room that they were to be used in, I would love to get my hands on a pair of both though to test this for myself :)

Ritchief

« Reply #31 on: 10 Apr 2012, 01:14 pm »
Vipers - if you ever manage to get your hands on those, I would be one of the first in the queue to listen....not that I could give them house room (yet), you never know the lottery win may just one day come my way !

Vipers

« Reply #32 on: 10 Apr 2012, 04:02 pm »
I hear what you are saying Ritchief, It's a little shootout out I'd love to try for myself, I always had my heart set on a pair of MB2 XBD's but since hearing the IB2 XBD-A's at our open day I've kinda changed my mind somewhat :roll:

tim92gts

« Reply #33 on: 11 Apr 2012, 02:25 pm »
Sorry Tim, this has probably got to be the slowest reply ever.

Unfortunately I have never been able to compare the 2 directly, the way I understand though is that the MB2 XBD would be preferable as it would load the room better, as on the BB5i you get one 15" bass cone whereas on the MB2 XBD's you get 2 x 12" bass cones at different heights which could drive the room more efficiently.

As ever I guess it comes down to the individual room that they were to be used in, I would love to get my hands on a pair of both though to test this for myself :)

Maybe one day!
We're happy with the BB5is but have wondered how the marginal extra bass extension in them compares with the extra power handling in the MB2-XBDs.
I very rarely push them to the limit, my sanity might be questioned if more amps and XB3s appear in the house!