Super V sound vs Line Array sound.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: Super V sound vs Line Array sound.
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jan 2012, 12:27 am »
The Dodd Battery buffer and Pass Labs Aleph 2 monoblocks are also a great setup with the Super-V's.

Have also driven them with the Dodd Battery PA with very good results.   

It is nice to have high sensitivity speakers, but the comment about the electronics noise floor is very appropriate.  The original Dodd Battery Preamp had to much gain and was noisy in the setup.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #21 on: 17 Jan 2012, 12:42 am »
The original Dodd Battery Preamp had to much gain and was noisy in the setup.
Fascinating.  The Dodd buffer didn't work with the LS9's well, as my Moscode 401HR ran out of power (only 200 wpc) on dynamic passages, but the Dodd battery Pre is perfect for it.  Just goes to show that equipment has to match.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #22 on: 17 Jan 2012, 05:20 pm »
The Niteshade amps sold here on AC are supposed to be very quiet and sound good.

LarryB

« Reply #23 on: 17 Jan 2012, 08:46 pm »
As I indicated in my review, the Dodd Bufer is a wonderful product  However, it does lack the dynamics of active linestages.  How much of a problem that will be is dependent on a numner of factors, in particular the equipment with which it is paired, and one's personal  listening tastes.

Larry

morganc

« Reply #24 on: 18 Jan 2012, 06:27 am »
I probably wouldn't go SET with the Super V's, but an good quality PP would be a good choice.  There are a TON of good options out there.  Something designed to use KT88's would be my first choice, but KT77's, K66's, 6550's, and EL34's are all great audio tubes.

OH, one thing you MUST keep in mind is that the amp needs to be low gain and very quiet - with a speaker as efficient as the Super V's, you will hear any/all
noise generated by your amp or even your preamp.  I have the V2's and it's a concern even with them.  But, once you get something that's nice and quiet, the V's match up VERY well with tube amps.  Perhaps the best I've heard in combo with tubes.

I don't have a Super V, but I do have a Decware Tori and it sounds like a SET but with 24 watts, is American made, amazing bass, tons of tube choices, and there happens to be a great one for sale right now.   They only come up for sale once every three months or so used, and a new one has a three plus month waiting list.  It also has a lifetime warranty and resale is very high.

Michael, if you want to hear the Tori, the Dodd Preamp mkii (latest one) which is battery powered, a Purity One preamp, and Zu Omen Defs or Tekton Pendragons, then drop by one day.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #25 on: 18 Jan 2012, 03:33 pm »

I don't have a Super V, but I do have a Decware Tori and it sounds like a SET but with 24 watts, is American made, amazing bass, tons of tube choices, and there happens to be a great one for sale right now.   They only come up for sale once every three months or so used, and a new one has a three plus month waiting list.  It also has a lifetime warranty and resale is very high.

Michael, if you want to hear the Tori, the Dodd Preamp mkii (latest one) which is battery powered, a Purity One preamp, and Zu Omen Defs or Tekton Pendragons, then drop by one day.

I like what I've read about the Tori. Where are you located Morgan?

morganc

« Reply #26 on: 18 Jan 2012, 05:29 pm »
I am in San Francisco on the North side of town.   

mono-tubeleosis

« Reply #27 on: 19 Jan 2012, 04:01 am »
Both are really good but different. Apples and Oranges for sure.

In a large room, well treated, and set up right the LS-9's can be blissful, and really tough to top. They also need a decent amount of power, control, and drive to really shine. So plan on a decent amp budget.

The thing I like about the Super-V is how well they work in any room no matter how small. They require very little power and are very easy to drive. So amplification cost can be much lower. I have to give the edge in bass response to the Super-V as well. They not only go lower, but don't load the room and are completely controllable from 200Hz and down. Dynamics are incredible in the Super-V as well.

I've got about 60 hours on mine and they're starting to open up.  Glorious sound and they keep getting better.  What has shocked me the most is at first I thought they were really bright.  Well to my ears I'm sure they were.  I did not like the top end as well as my ob-5s.  Not so much any more.  It's made me change how I look at the entire landscape. 

I went over to my ex's and listened to them the other day and they sounded good but not Super V good.  Like no contest.  Really not even fair.

These babies are really starting to shine.  Very open and revealing.   Soundstage starting to open up now.  The bass....."Fa-get about it!!!!!!".  Amazing!!!!!!!!!!.  I always thought of myself as a top end guy.  Not any more.  I forgot how good bass could sound. 

I've been rolling between the Amperex PQ6922's and the Telefunken EC88's and I think overall I have to give the nod to the Amperex but The T's have a little tighter bass.  A bit dry though imo compared to the A's in my room.  The bass is kind of rounder, not as centered or jackhammer with the Amperex but I kind of like it better.  The Amperex is syrupy smooth to me.  Magnificent mids.  I'll probably get the upgrade Jupiters but I'm not convinced I really need them. 

One of the best things about them is they look elegant and nasty ass at the same time too.  Not that it matters.  Oh hell who am I kidding.  Of course it does.  :thumb:

PS.  For you guys getting the SV's, expect a LONG break-in.  Be patient.  This was my fourth build and these by far have taken the longest.  Again..... be patient.

PS2.  I have a Dodd battery preamp and two Dodd 50 watt mono blocks.  I can't get them above 11:00 on the volume without making my ears bleed.  They are EXTREMELY efficient.  I also have a Rega Planet CD player for my source.  Next step will be moving into the Mac Mini/DAC setup.  One step at a time as they say.
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2012, 05:38 am by mono-tubeleosis »

morganc

« Reply #28 on: 19 Jan 2012, 08:37 am »
I am in San Francisco on the North side of town.

Michael, I forgot to add that you should PM or email me when you would like to come by.   The new  system is not dialed in yet, but still sounds pretty good.   Only problem is that I must resist cranking it up and up as my neighbors are too close and far to nice. :cry: :cry: :cry:  If anyone else wants to join in let me know and we will see what we can do as a group.   

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #29 on: 19 Jan 2012, 03:41 pm »
Just PM'd you.

I noted also that you have the Dodd preamp, not the amp.

Your Decware Torii wouldnt' happen to have a hum would it?  Long story...

kingdeezie

« Reply #30 on: 19 Jan 2012, 04:13 pm »
Mike, when you finally get the Super V's, let me know how they sound in comparison to what you remember from the LS6's.

I have a fairly "decked-out" pair of LS6s, but I wonder if the Super V's might be better in my room after reading this thread.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #31 on: 19 Jan 2012, 04:18 pm »
  If anyone else wants to join in let me know and we will see what we can do as a group.

I'm in!  But after the super bowl.  Niners will be there!  So I have to be there.

Uncle Elvis

« Reply #32 on: 19 Jan 2012, 05:00 pm »
If anyone else wants to join in let me know and we will see what we can do as a group.   

I'm in the Sacramento area, but would drive to SF in a second. I'd love to hear the Super V's!

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #33 on: 19 Jan 2012, 05:10 pm »
Mike, when you finally get the Super V's, let me know how they sound in comparison to what you remember from the LS6's.

I have a fairly "decked-out" pair of LS6s, but I wonder if the Super V's might be better in my room after reading this thread.

No problem. When I get the flat pack, I'll start posting pics of the build. When finished, I'll host a get-to-gether. I'll have the Tyler Decades and the Super V's in the same room. Not sure if I'll have an amp to drive the Decades but it'll still be interesting.

Looks like I'm putting my JL Audio Fathom F113 up for sale. We'll need the cash  :icon_frown:

Cheeseboy

« Reply #34 on: 19 Jan 2012, 06:10 pm »
I'll bring my Cherry Amp.  I always wanted to hear anything from Tyler. 

Can I ask in this thread?  How much for the Fathom?

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #35 on: 19 Jan 2012, 06:23 pm »
I'll PM you.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #36 on: 19 Jan 2012, 06:38 pm »
No problem. When I get the flat pack, I'll start posting pics of the build. When finished, I'll host a get-to-gether. I'll have the Tyler Decades and the Super V's in the same room. Not sure if I'll have an amp to drive the Decades but it'll still be interesting.

Looks like I'm putting my JL Audio Fathom F113 up for sale. We'll need the cash  :icon_frown:

!!!!!

Noooooooooooooooooo!

(.....wonder if I can talk Anne into a 2nd one. :scratch: :green:)

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #37 on: 19 Jan 2012, 07:25 pm »
!!!!!

Noooooooooooooooooo!

She could hang with my wife unit and Jr

Cheeseboy

« Reply #38 on: 19 Jan 2012, 07:50 pm »
!!!!!

Noooooooooooooooooo!

A second child?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #39 on: 19 Jan 2012, 09:12 pm »
A second child?
....one that weighs 130 pounds at birth.  :green:

(guess it could be confusing w/o the reference to the highlighted mention of Michael putting his Fathom up for sale. You interested? GREAT sub)