Cizek Model 2 speakers. Rare (needle in the haystack rare). Exceptional.

sonicxtc

Update: Sale Pending

Roy Cizek was a blind musician who went on to build some of the finest speakers ever built according to some in the know. Yes, I know how over the top that "sounds," but there are audiophiles who claim these are some of the very best monitors ever constructed.

While a great speaker designer with a true golden ear, Roy was not an ace as a business man, so not many of these were manufactured. These speakers are VERY VERY rare and hard to find anywhere. I did lots of research and even contacted some of his old friends to learn about these speakers. I was lucky to even find a pair. They are so sought after that many were exported to Europe, particularly Italy. The woofers have been professionally re-foamed. All else is original. Drivers are near mint condition. Cabinet is about a 7.5 to 8 out of 10, but overall in excellent condition with some very minor flaws. Original grill covers in very good condition.
Thanks for looking. Feel free to request pictures and additional details.

Located in U.S. Will ship anywhere in the Galaxy; packed like a pro.

$450 obo.
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2012, 10:44 pm by sonicxtc »

roscoeiii

Can you point us to some additional details on these speakers?

sonicxtc

In answer to your question, I hope what follows is allowed and is helpful. I'll add, all Cizeks were made in the U.S. (Massachusetts, I think) 1970s to 1980s. They are known for a "Q" switch apparently provides a nearly flat resistance load as seen by an amplifier. I may have some other notes I can find if I dig around.

Okay, what follows are my random notes from a word doc I saved. Bits and pieces gathered from all over the net. I also have some personal correspondence from Roy’s friends [not published herein]. There is a doctor, I believe his first name is Paolo; he’s from Italy and loves these speakers. A lot of these speakers wound up in Italy.

The Cizek speakers were excellent sounding. Roy Cizek, the designer, was blind, so he likely had an interesting perspective to speaker design.
>>>
I think the Peerless silk dome tweeter is no longer in production. Polk Audio also used that tweeter (KO10 DT, IIRC) and can almost certainly supply a replacement that's 'close enough'.>>>>my note: a replica of the Peerless is now manufactured.

>>>… mini-monitors of great sound, made by Roy Cizek in a cabinet of KOA Hawaiian wood. People who have them think they are the best mini ever produced; tomorrow I send a pictures of them to you.
Happy Christmas from Italy
Paolo

AK CIZEK comments: Can't say what they're worth in terms of dollars, but I can say that sonically they are miles above anything else that I have, and I generally considered my Polk RTA-11Ts to be quite good.
The Cizeks just have that something magical in their presentation. Currently using with my Fisher 400 receiver.
>>>Have paired it with my Cayin A-100T 100 wpc tube integrated and they amazed.

Not many people even know about Cizek, but those in the know hold onto these audio gems.
BTW, no discernible resonance, and at LOW bass, the sound is tight, direct and in your gut.

>>>I have a set of Cizek Model 2's with the MG27 subs. These are a killer system even compared to current speakers. The subs are one of the best I ever listened to. I would love to have a pair of one to mate with the sub>>>model 1 As "drillher" said, they seem very flat, If there is deep bass in the recording, it is reproduced, taut, tight deep, if not, no false boom

>>>I have had my Cizek Model One's for about a year now and they are worlds above all the other speakers, and I have a few.

As already stated, the impedance is flat along the entire spectrum of the frequency range, giving them a very realistic reproduction of the signal that they are receiving.

It's not so much that Roy Cizek was blind as much as that he was possessed of an acute sense of hearing. From what I've read, the engineers would work on trying to get the sound of their speakers right using engineering, and Roy would come along and just from listening, tell them what was needed.

I've read somewhere, can't remember where, that the band Boston used a pair of Cizek Model One speakers in their studio. That alone gives me courage that I've chosen well.

I currently use mine with a Fisher 400 receiver and the sound is nothing short of superb high end, even when compared with today's speakers. This is just one of those designs that was right from the very beginning

Are the other Cizek users here still running on the original rheostats and crossover caps?
I had to replace the rheostats, but the crossovers are fine with the original caps
>>>
After further listening on mine, I agree with your assesment of them %100  The low-end on these, when the music calls for it is almost "tactile" Tight, taut lower Q deep bass  Thus far my reostats are good, and caps appear good as well. Keeping my fingers crossed! Found tonight also that low-volume resolution on these is excellent as well

What's the price? I think they're a better…than your Time Windows. If you don't like them I might buy them off of you. Make sure they have the original woofers with the bead of goo on the cone. My Cizek III's with a subwoofer added are the best speaker setup I've owned in the last 40 years. The crossover is damned near magical in its smoothness and lack of reactive loading on the amp.

>>>>At that price I'd be grabbing them so fast all you would see was a blur….

Good job buying a pair of Cizek model 1's.I have owned a pair of Cizek model 2's since 1979,and recently had them refoamed and they still sound good.I would like to trade up to a pair of model 1's for improved low end if I can ever find a pair

I bought a pair of Cizek Model 1's in 1977 and still have yet to own or even hear a pair of speaker matching the pure awsome sound of my Cizeks. And I do own a pair of ADS M12s as well that really don't match up. I had a pair of the smaller speakers as well (Model 2?) but sold them when I was broke about 25 years ago.

have a set of Cizek Model 2's with the MG27 subs. These are a killer system even compared to current speakers. The subs are one of the best I ever listened to. I would love to have a pair of one to mate with the subs.

I have had my Cizek Model One's for about a year now and they are worlds above all the other speakers, and I have a few.

As already stated, the impedance is flat along the entire spectrum of the frequency range, giving them a very realistic reproduction of the signal that they are receiving.

My wife's standard comment is "those speakers are as clear as a bell,you can hear everything"I just started using a M&K subwoofer with the Cizek model I's.The low end is augmented to provide more "feel" of the low end without being boomy

After further listening on mine, I agree with your assesment of them %100:yes: The low-end on these, when the music calls for it is almost "tactile" Tight, taut lower Q deep bass:music: Thus far my reostats are good, and caps appear good as well. Keeping my fingers crossed! Found tonight also that low-volume resolution on these is excellent as well:yes

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
Back in 1977, I went over to a friend's to hear speakers he had just purchased from a "new" company called Polk... he couldn't stop raving about these Polk speakers.  I thought they were pretty good and decided to pay a visit to the upscale stereo shop in Bensalem, PA where my friend had purchased them.

I did hear the Polks that they had on hand but then spied some very non-descript speakers sitting in the corner.  I asked what they were and were told that they were a new line they had just picked up called Cizek.  The particular model were the Model One.  I had them hook them up and after listening for about an hour walked out of the store with them.

When my friend heard that I had not bought the Polks, he came over to hear my Cizeks.  I was watching him as he heard them for the first time and the expression on his face said it all... :green:

I think I paid the handsome sum of $450 for the Model One.

Roy Cizek worked for Altec Lansing before starting his own line of speakers.  And yes...they had the famous "Q" switch.

Regards,

Randy

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Do any photos exist?

sonicxtc

Thanks for reminding me. So much to do.
Yes, I'll have pix of these available soon. If you don't see them in 48 hours, feel free to PM me. Thanks.  :oops:

sonicxtc

Pix available now. Please request if interested.
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2012, 05:05 am by sonicxtc »

toot123

sent you pm

hayden

Pix available now. Please request if interested.

Why don't you post them, as a reference for all of us curious audiophiles?

sonicxtc

That's the problem with all us freakin' audiophiles. Always so damn curious.

Okay, thanks for the post. Sure, even though as of today they are not available, I will post some pix just so everyone can see them. Thanks for the suggestion.