What is your preamp of choice?

ajzepp

Re: What is your preamp of choice?
« Reply #20 on: 14 Jan 2012, 03:22 pm »
Pres I've owned are a Mod Squad Line Drive, Mapletree Line 2A-SE, McCormack MAP (mc), and the SAS 10a. The 10a is clearly the best of the bunch and also the best value, but I could have been happy living with the Mapletree.

rockadanny

« Reply #21 on: 15 Jan 2012, 01:03 am »
First separate preamp I ever bought I am still using: Mapletree 2A SE (with Blackgate caps). Best attributes to my liking are: sound (tunable per tube swaps); 6SN7/12SN7 switchable; separate gain controls with overal volume control; customized gain per input; value.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #22 on: 15 Jan 2012, 01:28 am »
I'm enjoying a Bottlehead Foreplay III which took the place of a CJ PV2.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #23 on: 15 Jan 2012, 02:07 am »
I think I'm one of the first to take home one of the New Dodd Generation Two Battery Pre Amp.  Incredible detail, imaging and plenty of drive for any system.   This is a very revealing preamp.  HT passthrough, remote control and gorgious wood.  The battery is outboard so a large battery can be used for endless play time.  Awesome combination.  Dodd/Digital Amp Company Cherry/GR Research LS6.  The other would be the Conrad Johnson LS17.  Sweet tube sound and bowling alley size soundstage. 

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #24 on: 15 Jan 2012, 02:12 am »
I've been using two of these for the past five years:
http://www.thevintageknob.org/sonic_frontiers-SFL-2.html
a little tube rolling has really worked wonders.

I also have a heavily modified Carver C1 and have owned various Carver and a Sunfire Tube Preamp in the past.
I plan on picking up a Conrad Johnson and one of the Manley 300Bs in the next year or two for some variety.

cujobob

« Reply #25 on: 15 Jan 2012, 02:34 am »
First separate preamp I ever bought I am still using: Mapletree 2A SE (with Blackgate caps). Best attributes to my liking are: sound (tunable per tube swaps); 6SN7/12SN7 switchable; separate gain controls with overal volume control; customized gain per input; value.

Had one, sold it when downsizing and miss it greatly. It had a nice tonality that made everything enjoyable.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #26 on: 15 Jan 2012, 05:23 am »
Mike...

Check with...

zybar/George

BigRedMachine/Pete

arthurs/Art

They all have some experience with Moscode.

And you might check with Moscode...give them a call...see what preamp they have used at shows....that they were happy with.

Some links...

http://www.moscode.com/owners/moscode_owner_systems.htm

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=40061.msg356983;topicseen#msg356983

warnerwh

« Reply #27 on: 15 Jan 2012, 09:33 am »
I've owned Audio Research, Conrad Johnson, Krell, Adcom and some others I don't remember right now. My current preamp is a Primare Pre 30. Absolutely silky smooth. It has a refinement I've not heard before. Build quality is easily as good as any of the others and probably better.

I believe the person who designed the Pre30 worked with Nelson Pass some time ago. The metal remote is the most user friendly remote I've ever used and it's part of the reason the Primare is here to stay. There's reviews if you care to Google them. I believe Absolute Sound has reviewed some of their gear but Primare seems to be a unknown for most people. Used ones tend to go for around 1k and imo it's a bargain.

Hope you've been doing well!

Freo-1

« Reply #28 on: 15 Jan 2012, 01:44 pm »
Currently own two preamps.  One is a Pass Labs X2.5 (primary), and the other is a Electrocompaniet EC 4.5.

The Pass Labs unit is a reference quality unit.  Very close to "As good as it gets".

The EC 4.5 has some interesting sonic qualitites for a solid state preamp, which is why I still have it.   It has a bit of warmth and depth to it.  Very clear presentation.

timjthomas

« Reply #29 on: 15 Jan 2012, 01:51 pm »
I have an AVA Insight+ SL with Phono Stage and have been very happy with it.  It simply gets out of the way of the music -- nothing is added.

That being said, if you are interested in a tube-based pre-amp, I have a Mapletree Headphone Amplifier, and it is by far the best I have heard.  I suspect Lloyd's pre-amps are very good as well.  He, like Frank at AVA, is very easy to talk to. 

They will both happily answer any questions you have. 

Freo-1

« Reply #30 on: 15 Jan 2012, 02:09 pm »
If you are looking at a tubed preamp, suggest you look at this:

Modwright 9.0swl Signature Edition latest model with all upgrades

There is one listed on Audiogon right for around 1250.00 or so asking price.  Google for reviews.  I can attest to Dan Wright's ability to make outstanding equipment.   

mhconley

« Reply #31 on: 15 Jan 2012, 02:17 pm »
When George Kaye showed his Moscode 402Au at the 2008 RMAF he used a Placette Remote Volume Control.  It sounded pretty damn good.  I'd consider Placette's Passive Linestage Preamplifier.

Martin