Another Great Engine from Suzuki

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Another Great Engine from Suzuki
« on: 10 Jan 2012, 11:54 pm »
Some great engines from the past include GS750four, GS1000four, Intruder1400 V2, TL1000 L2 and now this Boulevard M90/1462cc V2.
This is a real torque engine 12,8kgfm at low 2700rpm, seems very reliable, unfortunately the bike´s gross weight is too much 328kg...
The Boulevard M109/1783cc is even more fat at 347kg !!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Another Great Engine from Suzuki
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2012, 12:32 am »
Jap makers ignore belt drive sec transmisson, except fot the Savage LS650.
Belt drive do not made profit in maintenance, since it last around 90.000km, with no oild leakage, and rubber belt is a light weight and had no torque effect;

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2012, 05:23 am »
Jap makers ignore belt drive sec transmisson, except fot the Savage LS650.
Belt drive do not made profit in maintenance, since it last around 90.000km, with no oild leakage, and rubber belt is a light weight and had no torque effect;
i love my buell s2, and i like its drive belt wery much.  but, it snapped while riding at 65.000km.  i was lucky nothing bad happened other than missing a half day of work and needing a tow.  it gave no warning, and looked fine.  chains usually show wisible wear, and you know when to replace them.  and a new belt was ~$180.  all in all, the total cost between belt and chain is about the same.  and both are about the same in transmission of power.  chains are also a lot easier/faster to change - including sprockets and gear ratios.  you won't ever see racers using belts; one of the popular mods for belt-driven bikes going to the track are chain conwersion kits...

ymmv,

doug s.,
buell s2 - belt
suzuki dr650/'tarded - chain
ducati darmah - chain

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2012, 05:33 am »
Some great engines from the past include GS750four, GS1000four, Intruder1400 V2, TL1000 L2 and now this Boulevard M90/1462cc V2.
This is a real torque engine 12,8kgfm at low 2700rpm, seems very reliable, unfortunately the bike´s gross weight is too much 328kg...
The Boulevard M109/1783cc is even more fat at 347kg !!

i sat on one of these at a dealer a few days ago, when i was having the rear shock on my dr650 swapped out for a rebuilt one w/better spring & walves.  (kinda like audio?   :lol:)  these boulevard bikes are certainly fat pigs.  but not at all overweight compared to others in their class - yust more of the same.  personally, i don't get cruisers - an acquaintance of mine made me take his h-d heritage soft-tail out for a ride; i think my gen-1 scion xb is a lot more fun to drive.  others, obviously, disagree.   :wink:

doug s.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2012, 05:37 am »
Hi,
Thanks for this first hand info. Your S2 is a 1200 engine, if I remember well,
Seems to me a metal chain last 10000, so 65000km is not bad for 180dollars.

I wonder if there is various grade for strength in rubber belt?? as in metal chains.
Or rubber belst had just one durability grade?
Thanks

OBS.: I mean say the thickness of the rubber.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2012, 07:41 am »
Hi,
Thanks for this first hand info. Your S2 is a 1200 engine, if I remember well,
Seems to me a metal chain last 10000, so 65000km is not bad for 180dollars.

I wonder if there is various grade for strength in rubber belt?? as in metal chains.
Or rubber belst had just one durability grade?
Thanks

OBS.: I mean say the thickness of the rubber.
actually, a good chain, if taken care of, should last ~30.000km.  i have put 15.000km on the chain on my darmah, and i have no idea how many km's were on it when i purchased the bike; it is still ok.  afaik there is no option for different size/grade belt. 

doug s.

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2012, 07:44 am »
I feel dirty already.

(Love it  :thumb:)

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2012, 08:12 am »
I feel dirty already.

(Love it  :thumb:)
it was a mild weather day here in maryland - ~50f; the dr650 got about 50 more miles put on it, cruising the backroads.  being 'tarded, it's more set up for street than dirt, but i love it, too!  :green: 

doug s.

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2012, 08:24 am »
Nice pic. Can you paint it red?

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #9 on: 11 Jan 2012, 08:36 am »
Nice pic. Can you paint it red?
is a red s2 good enough?   i kinda like the dr in white...  :wink:

doug s.

mcgsxr

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jan 2012, 12:43 pm »
The Buell is cool, but the Motard is the bomb!  I built many streetfighters, but never brought a supermotard into reality.

As for great Suzi motors, my personal vote goes for the variants of the GS four powerplant.  Had many 750's and 1100's (both 1086 and 1127 versions for the purists!) in various crazy builds in the late 90's when I was way into bikes.

Sometimes miss those days, but still get the odd ride in on my brothers BMW to help dull the pain!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan 2012, 11:09 pm »
actually, a good chain, if taken care of, should last ~30.000km.  i have put 15.000km on the chain on my darmah, and i have no idea how many km's were on it when i purchased the bike; it is still ok.  afaik there is no option for different size/grade belt. 

doug s.
OK, Thanks for reply. I owned 3 bikes and chains last just over 10.000km, that thing may broke on the fly... not a good thing to expect.
I also see on shops just the usual thick rubber belt, that seems to be the only avaliable.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jan 2012, 11:23 pm »
i have put 15.000km on the chain on my darmah, and i have no idea how many km's were on it when i purchased the bike.
doug s.

You have a Darmah?? One of my extreme favorites, just from the reports - I have never ridden one. That and the Moto Morini 350s and 500s. Could you post a photo?

Russell

Rclark

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jan 2012, 11:26 pm »
 Hey Doug.. bike is still in the works but I think I'm also on the verge of getting a little 150cc scooter to commute on  :green: I live like 2 miles from work and half that from all the shopping I need. Or maybe a big, 4 or 500 cc scoot.  Then when I get a bike I can just get a pure sportbike.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #14 on: 11 Jan 2012, 11:27 pm »
The Buell is cool, but the Motard is the bomb!  I built many streetfighters, but never brought a supermotard into reality.

As for great Suzi motors, my personal vote goes for the variants of the GS four powerplant.  Had many 750's and 1100's (both 1086 and 1127 versions for the purists!) in various crazy builds in the late 90's when I was way into bikes.

Sometimes miss those days, but still get the odd ride in on my brothers BMW to help dull the pain!
yes, this 'tarded dr650 is really a load of fun.  i have wanted one for a long time.  aprilia sxv550 is a dream, but it's basically a street legal race bike, and extremely maintenance intensive.  for a geezer like myself, the hotted-up dr650 is perfect.  really reliable and not too spendy.  i lucked out and found mine w/the wheels already done, plus a few other goodies, and got the bike for basically the cost of the wheel/tire conwersion.   :thumb:  so, even tho i then went to town w/other mods, (fcr39 carb, complete hi-flow hedder/midpipe/exhaust w/tsukigi gsxr1000 muffler, usd front fork, corbin seat, hid lighting, upgraded rear shock, etc.), i still don't have a ton of money into it.  the buell and the ducati still get use - when my wife is riding the suzook!   :lol:

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #15 on: 11 Jan 2012, 11:40 pm »
You have a Darmah?? One of my extreme favorites, just from the reports - I have never ridden one. That and the Moto Morini 350s and 500s. Could you post a photo?

Russell
i wanted a darmah since i first saw one up close in ~'80.  i finally got one in ~1999.  my duc is no show bike; it gets ridden:

some day, it will get repainted and decal'd...

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #16 on: 11 Jan 2012, 11:45 pm »
Hey Doug.. bike is still in the works but I think I'm also on the verge of getting a little 150cc scooter to commute on  :green: I live like 2 miles from work and half that from all the shopping I need. Or maybe a big, 4 or 500 cc scoot.  Then when I get a bike I can just get a pure sportbike.
scooters scare me, what w/their tiny wheels - yust waiting for a stray pothole to grab you and toss you...   :o  i'd hold out for a real bike - you don't have to spend big bucks - many decent rides for <$1.5k, and even <$1k...

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #17 on: 11 Jan 2012, 11:50 pm »
OK, Thanks for reply. I owned 3 bikes and chains last just over 10.000km, that thing may broke on the fly... not a good thing to expect.
I also see on shops just the usual thick rubber belt, that seems to be the only avaliable.
two summers ago, i splurged and spent almost $2k on my darmah, for a complete mechanical refurb and new tires, by one of the mid-atlantic's best duc wrenchers.  it had carb, exhaust and leak issues.  he said the chain was still ok.   :thumb:  don't get me wrong - i do like belt drive, but i got nothing against chains.

interestingly enough, my darmah is now extremely unlike many wintage ducs - no oil drippings at all!    :lol:

doug s.

Rclark

« Reply #18 on: 11 Jan 2012, 11:54 pm »
We don't have potholes here so no prob, it's really civilized fortunately. Microsoft central basically. My ex and I rented a scooter in Vegas and they easy and manueverable.

They are also a super relaxing and comfy way to go around. Like a powered recliner almost.

Found a spot that has ridiculously low prices (the Emotiva model for scooters), no middleman, and they ship it to you. less than $900 for brand new 150cc shipped with free luggage box. Good for about 50mph.

Most of my commuting is local, no highway travel required. 80mpg looks nice too. I'm thinking economical now since I might be going back to school here in a bit.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2012, 01:17 am by Rclark »

Rclark

« Reply #19 on: 11 Jan 2012, 11:58 pm »