Dark days for American wagon buyers.

Delta Wave

Re: Dark days for American wagon buyers.
« Reply #20 on: 10 Jan 2012, 02:43 pm »
We bought a used 2004 A4 wagon for the winters up here, it was mint, sans a few minor scratches, they're built like a tank. I've had several Audi/VWs over the years and they're just pretty hard to beat as far as performance & build quality go. The new Audi's are too pricey and are getting a bit too cushy for may taste. But if I could afford a new S4 wagon, I would get one.

On another note, I've driven a Prius and IMHO, it's one of the worst cars I have ever driven, and I've driven a K Car... lol. They have the most deplorable handling I've ever experienced and are just plain scary to drive on ice or snow. It was like driving around a school desk. Absolutely no power and I was only getting 17MPG simply trying to keep up with traffic on the interstate. Not to mention they are not "green", they consume a lot of precious metals and natural resources to build. What's going to happen when the batteries need to be replaced? Ouch. Okay, I guess that more of a rant than information, sorry.  :icon_lol:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #21 on: 10 Jan 2012, 02:44 pm »
The beauty of a five door hatch is it is nearly a station wagon, but more practical IMO.
With being able to lower the rear seats flat on my 2012 Ford Focus, I have all the room i could want, it looks super cool, and has usable seating for four, (or in a pinch five) Gets well over 32 MPG city in Winter cold.
Summer freeway at 55 I get 42mpg..
The auto tranny can be odd, I have the manual transmission. For the auto, each car is a bit idiosyncratic, so test driving  the tranny is a good idea.

Anyway,(aside from being an advertisment for a Focus!) a hatch is the ideal city station wagon.
Like a miniature SUV.
I had a Hatch in 1989.. then for years no one was making any hatch. But now plenty are available again.

IMO there is NOTHING as convenient as a five door hatch.

Delta Wave

« Reply #22 on: 10 Jan 2012, 02:52 pm »
Doesn't VW have a Jetta Sportwagon now?

roscoeiii

« Reply #23 on: 10 Jan 2012, 03:35 pm »
Assuming a 4 door Golf is too small.

I really like driving my buddy's A3.

Othrwise I am looking forward to reviews of the Velostar Turbo, and the next generation of the Mazda3 (a yr off at least IIRC).

Delta Wave

« Reply #24 on: 10 Jan 2012, 03:47 pm »
I really liked the Mazda Speed 3, it was the Euro-spec Ford Focus. But ford won't bring it in to the states... pansy's. All ford did was slap some new body panels on their original chassis.

The GTI five door is pretty sweet too, a cheaper version of the Audi A3. I dig the Audi A3S but you can only get it in a dog-o-matic. I was on my way to buy a new (at the time) 5 door GTI but I wound up with a Shelby Mustang instead... what are the odds?  :thumb:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #25 on: 10 Jan 2012, 05:11 pm »
Stereocilia - Concerning your cargo concerns I found this data.
Prius V cargo space = 67.3 cu. ft.
2010 VW Passat wagon = 72.8 cu. ft.

Will 5.5 cu. ft. be meaningful? It could well be - and, of course, the configuration of the dimensions might not work. I read that the front passenger seat folds flat just like in my 2004 Matrix, so that you can put your surfboard inside the car.

As for winter driving, I live in Colorado and drove my Prius to Glenwood Springs just this weekend. It does great in snow because of low center of gravity, narrow tires and front wheel drive. You'll see them all over in Colorado ski towns.

Getting only 17 mpg out of a Prius is difficult to imagine. I bought mine used almost 2 years ago and have never registered less than 41.5 mpg. no matter how I drive it.

My son, the car junkie, recommended a Mazda 6 wagon.

How much does your wife drive? under what conditions? in what part of the country? Does she have to haul things, or a lot of people? Is she a racer?
These are all considerations that might help to refine the suggestions.

matt.w

« Reply #26 on: 10 Jan 2012, 05:58 pm »
I really liked the Mazda Speed 3, it was the Euro-spec Ford Focus. But ford won't bring it in to the states... pansy's. All ford did was slap some new body panels on their original chassis.

This is no longer true. The current Ford Focus is all-new, on a new global platform. The same vehicle is sold in both the US and Europe.

I'm a big fan of my first-gen Mazda 3 hatch, but I'd take the Focus without question now.

stereocilia

« Reply #27 on: 10 Jan 2012, 06:32 pm »
The problem with the Focus (and several others mentioned), which I like, BTW, is that sometimes I drive the car.  I'm six feet tall with long legs.  Okay for me, but move the seats of the Focus all the way back and then try to get in the back.  The Passat easily passed this test, the Focus does not.  It also has a great little motor, but it certainly less torque which is another strike against it.

The Jetta Sportwagen is just not the same as the Passat.  I wish it were The rear suspension is very different, the interior is not as nice, the power is much less, and it's a little smaller.

sts9fan

« Reply #28 on: 10 Jan 2012, 11:09 pm »
We could never get as many drunks in my TDI wagon as we could his Passat. Fact not opinion. 

Delta Wave

« Reply #29 on: 11 Jan 2012, 12:10 am »
We could never get as many drunks in my TDI wagon as we could his Passat. Fact not opinion.

:thumb:

stereocilia

« Reply #30 on: 11 Jan 2012, 01:52 am »
"Shotgun!"   :green:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #31 on: 11 Jan 2012, 03:38 am »
mebbe you weren't trying enough, or drinking enough?  (i am remembering the time me and 5 of my buds were driving around in a '72 mgb - w/the top up.)  :o  :green:

doug s.

Bizarroterl

« Reply #32 on: 12 Jan 2012, 05:04 am »
13 people in a 64 Corvair and then drove it up a mountain road.  It was tight.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #33 on: 12 Jan 2012, 05:20 am »
stereocilia,

SAAB just went kaput and their used cars drop precipitously in price and generally have at least average reliability (better than VW in general in recent years according to Consumers Report)

The 2008 and 2009's still have warranties covered by GM (48 month or 50,000 miles)...you're crap outta' luck with the 2010 and 2011's as SAAB is kaput. 

I have a 2008 SAAB AERO 9-3 SportCombi (Sportwagen) and drove the VW Passat, Jetta, Audi A3 and BMW 328i wagons before deciding on it (in fact, I drove one at PMAT's dealership near me 8))

The VW GTI was dynamite - but, too small for my family needs.

My AERO had only 16,000 miles, a sweet 6 cylinder turbo with 250HP, 6 speed manumatic with paddles, excellent comfort, 14 months still on warranty - for $22,000. I immediately threw on Bilstein HD shocks all around ($1500) and it handles simply beautifully.  List price new was $39,000 (but it probably sold new for more like $33,000 after rebates).  I'm really happy with my decision.

Mine looks a lot like this one (same blue color) - steering wheel on the correct side, tho  :wink:: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P6x4SGeAnc

You could get a 4 cylinder Sportcombi of that vintage for a lot less and get better mileage, too. There's older SAAB 9-5 wagons pre-2009 (very roomy) for $10K I've seen selling with 60,000 miles on them.  Get a good local mechanic and your set for years  :thumb:

SAAB really did wagons right in my opinion (I owned  SAAB 9-3 hatchback for 12 years prior to this one and this is really better in most every way that counts to my aging body)  :thumb:

Good luck - John

Netdewt

« Reply #34 on: 12 Jan 2012, 01:18 pm »
OK... how about BMW 328i touring (e91)? You could find one a couple years old and certified for $25k-$30 I would think. And it'll resell for more than the VW.

timjthomas

« Reply #35 on: 12 Jan 2012, 01:29 pm »
Volvo makes a Wagon V50 as well as a few crossovers that look like wagons.

stereocilia

« Reply #36 on: 14 Jan 2012, 08:55 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I was pushing to more carefully consider the Saab even though it would depreciate precipitously.  That would be okay because we tend to keep our cars for a long time, we needed minimal financing since she got an insurance check , and aftermarket warranties are probably much less expensive compared to the price drop from MSRP.  Also, I read that Saab's parts makers will be in business for a long time, and many GM parts are on them, so no big worries there.

Today she pulled the trigger on a slightly used A4 Avant.  It was a dealer loaner car.  It's a little smaller than we'd hoped, but it's adequate.  In my opinion, it's not a particularly good value but that remains to be seen.

Late this summer I will replace my car; hopefully there will still be a few low-mileage 9-3 Aeros to consider by then.

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #37 on: 15 Jan 2012, 04:45 pm »
Dark days indeed. I've got a 2002 Subaru Outback that I've been considering replacing, but just can't find anything that I feel would work better for us.  And we don't like SUVs, CUVs, or any other *UVs.  And I won't get a new Outback unless they get rid of that goofy roof rack system... just give me standard rails.

I was born and raised, live and work in Motown in the auto industry and would love to buy a compact AWD wagon from one of the Detroit 3.  Discussing why they don't build wagons with an exec from one of the companies, I was told that us wagon lovers are a "vocal minority" but dont' really represent enough marketshare for the effort and investment. Though it seems other manufacturers can make it work.

Would really like the wagon version (or "Estate" as they call it across the pond) of the new Ford Fusion just revealed at the Detroit Autoshow, but I'm not going to hold my breath that it will be seen in the US anytime soon.

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2011/10/5/Spied-Ford-Mondeo-Fusion-Wagon-Test-Mule-7705096/

« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2012, 03:50 pm by krikor »

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #38 on: 15 Jan 2012, 04:54 pm »

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #39 on: 15 Jan 2012, 05:06 pm »
Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix is a great little car available with 4 wheel drive. It's basically a Corolla station wagon.
Dodge Magnum is a larger option. I have no idea if they are any good but they are fairly big and totally Big 3.
What is the distinction between SUV and 4WD station wagon?