Dark days for American wagon buyers.

stereocilia

Dark days for American wagon buyers.
« on: 10 Jan 2012, 01:00 am »
My wife's poor 2010 Passat 2.0T Wagon was officially totaled with 17K miles on it.  :cry: She was rear-ended and suffered no injuries, thankfully.  Now, the car needs to be replaced.  But, with what?  There are very few used ones with similar mileage on the market, and I'm not enthusiastic about buying used anything in the first place, even if it is certified pre-owned.  There's one available nearby with 13K miles which has been in for service (according to Carfax) five times.  Kinda sketchy.

Anyway, it infuriates me that VW no longer offers a Passat wagon with a relatively fuel-efficient 2.0T and DSG transmission.   :cuss: She would rather walk than drive an SUV or a CUV (completely useless vehicle).  Unfortunately, the similarly equipped Audi cousin is around 48K!  A Cadillac CTS is not meaningfully cheaper, either.

Mostly I'm just venting.  But if there's something I'm not thinking of I'm all ears.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
Re: Dark days for American wagon buyers.
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2012, 01:09 am »
Take a look at a Subaru Outback...drove one a month ago, I'm looking to replace a 2003 Suburban.  The Outback is a great car!

ratso

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2012, 01:16 am »

stereocilia

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2012, 01:25 am »
Take a look at a Subaru Outback...drove one a month ago, I'm looking to replace a 2003 Suburban.  The Outback is a great car!
I suppose.  But only 25 mpg highway for the 6 cylinder or only 170 HP and 29 mpg for the boxer 4?  I don't like either of those options. The car we are replacing had 201 HP and 31 mpg highway.  It was perfect.  We have no plans to do any off roading, either.  Also, no DSG transmission.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs

stereocilia

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2012, 01:31 am »
:dunno:

http://www.acura.com/Engine.aspx?model=TSX%20Sport%20Wagon&modelYear=2012
That's reasonable option.  I'm not sure my wife likes the styling, and I'm not sure if she could be happy with the lower torque of the N/A motor.  Worth a look though, for sure.  Thanks!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2012, 01:35 am »
Being Flexible is key

TomS

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan 2012, 01:37 am »
I love my TDi Sportwagen. Plenty of torque though a click down from the Passat in size and space. Cargo capacity is very close though.

stereocilia

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2012, 02:33 am »
I love my TDi Sportwagen. Plenty of torque though a click down from the Passat in size and space. Cargo capacity is very close though.
Great car.  I would consider that for myself, but the size and the suspension is different enough to take it out of contention for her.  She's not too keen on diesel.

Netdewt

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jan 2012, 03:33 am »
Has she tried it? We have an '09 TDI Sportwagen. We fit out Lab, 2 kids in carseats, and all our junk for short trips in it (with our Yakima roof box). It's a BIG little car. 42 MPG hwy in our experience with the AC on and fully loaded. 30+ city MPG. Doesn't smell diesely, starts right up in the cold, DSG is plenty of fun for me (I like manuals), no mechanical issues, 10k mi oil changes, 500 mi between fill ups, should hold its value better than anything out there. We found ours used by telling the dealer we wanted one and waiting.

I think the manufacturers will wake up eventually. Wagons are the most practical cars out there.

I could not have asked for a better car. TDI Sportwagen FTW.

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #10 on: 10 Jan 2012, 04:42 am »
I drive an Audi A6 Avant.  I never thought I'd own a car at that price point, but I bit the bullet.  It's undeniably the best car I've ever had (and I've had plenty).  Great mileage (28 hwy) and it holds as much cargo as my Explorer 4-door.

If there was any way you could swing it, I'd highly recommend you take a look.

PMAT

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jan 2012, 04:44 am »
Having worked at a Subaru/VW/BMW dealer I can tell you that the Subaru is not a replacement for a Passat wagon lover. Everything your wife loved in the Passat is not in the Subaru. Take your time and find another one. They are not perfect, but they do the sport wagon thing better, at that price, than any other. Nothing wrong with a cert used one either. Widen your search area and travel to get a nice one. Fahrvergnügen!

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #12 on: 10 Jan 2012, 04:50 am »
patience grasshopper...   :wink:

have you checked the 5 service records on this one:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=c&car_id=313482315&dealer_id=68057&car_year=2010&model=PASS&pager.offset=25&search_lang=en&start_year=2010&body_style=WAGON&search_type=both&distance=0&rdm=1326170252878&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2011&showZipError=n&engine=4+Cylinder&dma=BOSTON_NO&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=128&first_record=26&isFlashPlugin=true&default_sort=distanceDESC&address=02108&sort_type=distanceDESC&make=VOLKS&num_records=25&seller_type=b&cardist=6&standard=true

another close to you:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=312259952&dealer_id=56304544&car_year=2010&systime=&doors=&model=PASS&search_lang=en&start_year=2010&body_style=WAGON&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=0&min_price=&rdm=1326170252878&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2011&showZipError=n&make2=&certified=&engine=4+Cylinder&dma=BOSTON_NO&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=128&isFlashPlugin=true&transmission=&default_sort=distanceDESC&max_mileage=&color=&address=02108&sort_type=distanceDESC&max_price=&make=VOLKS&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=31&standard=false

not too far, and "VW PreLoved Certification adds 2yr/24,000 mile Bumper to Bumper to remaining factory warranty". (the one w/the 5 serwice records is also vw certified.):
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=c&car_id=306512176&dealer_id=848755&car_year=2010&systime=&doors=&model=PASS&search_lang=en&start_year=2010&body_style=WAGON&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=0&min_price=&rdm=1326170252878&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2011&showZipError=n&make2=&certified=&engine=4+Cylinder&dma=BOSTON_NO&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=128&isFlashPlugin=true&transmission=&default_sort=distanceDESC&max_mileage=&color=&address=02108&sort_type=distanceDESC&max_price=&make=VOLKS&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=116&standard=false

35 in the usa:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?lastBeginningStartYear=1981&num_records=25&search_lang=en&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&search_type=both&distance=0&address=02108&marketZipError=false&body_style=WAGON&make=VOLKS&model=PASS&make2=&start_year=2010&end_year=2011&min_price=&max_price=&seller_type=b&transmission=&engine=4+Cylinder&drive=&doors=&fuel=&max_mileage=&color=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywords_display=&sort_type=distanceDESC&body_code=128&certified=&advanced=y&highlightFirstMakeModel=&showZipError=n&default_sort=distanceDESC&systime=&isFlashPlugin=true&dma=BOSTON_NO&rdm=1326170252878

hth,

doug s.

stereocilia

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jan 2012, 06:03 am »
patience grasshopper...   :wink:

have you checked the 5 service records on this one:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=c&car_id=313482315&dealer_id=68057&car_year=2010&model=PASS&pager.offset=25&search_lang=en&start_year=2010&body_style=WAGON&search_type=both&distance=0&rdm=1326170252878&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2011&showZipError=n&engine=4+Cylinder&dma=BOSTON_NO&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=128&first_record=26&isFlashPlugin=true&default_sort=distanceDESC&address=02108&sort_type=distanceDESC&make=VOLKS&num_records=25&seller_type=b&cardist=6&standard=true

another close to you:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=312259952&dealer_id=56304544&car_year=2010&systime=&doors=&model=PASS&search_lang=en&start_year=2010&body_style=WAGON&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=0&min_price=&rdm=1326170252878&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2011&showZipError=n&make2=&certified=&engine=4+Cylinder&dma=BOSTON_NO&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=128&isFlashPlugin=true&transmission=&default_sort=distanceDESC&max_mileage=&color=&address=02108&sort_type=distanceDESC&max_price=&make=VOLKS&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=31&standard=false

not too far, and "VW PreLoved Certification adds 2yr/24,000 mile Bumper to Bumper to remaining factory warranty". (the one w/the 5 serwice records is also vw certified.):
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=c&car_id=306512176&dealer_id=848755&car_year=2010&systime=&doors=&model=PASS&search_lang=en&start_year=2010&body_style=WAGON&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=0&min_price=&rdm=1326170252878&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2011&showZipError=n&make2=&certified=&engine=4+Cylinder&dma=BOSTON_NO&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=128&isFlashPlugin=true&transmission=&default_sort=distanceDESC&max_mileage=&color=&address=02108&sort_type=distanceDESC&max_price=&make=VOLKS&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=116&standard=false

35 in the usa:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?lastBeginningStartYear=1981&num_records=25&search_lang=en&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&search_type=both&distance=0&address=02108&marketZipError=false&body_style=WAGON&make=VOLKS&model=PASS&make2=&start_year=2010&end_year=2011&min_price=&max_price=&seller_type=b&transmission=&engine=4+Cylinder&drive=&doors=&fuel=&max_mileage=&color=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywords_display=&sort_type=distanceDESC&body_code=128&certified=&advanced=y&highlightFirstMakeModel=&showZipError=n&default_sort=distanceDESC&systime=&isFlashPlugin=true&dma=BOSTON_NO&rdm=1326170252878

hth,

doug s.

Wow, thanks.  The second one looks promising; I came across that one earlier.  It gets bonus points for being the same color and everything.

I read here http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2011/7/20/Report-2012-Volkswagen-Passat-Wagon-Not-US-Bound-7703936/ that vw was road testing the new Passat wagon in the US but not planning to sell it here!  It feels kind of insulting:  "Of course, vee make a vunderbar vagon...but vee we von't sell it to YOU!"  I guess we're not worthy.  No such thing as a new A6 avant either, as far as I can tell.  Yeah, we could technically afford the Audi a4 avant, but well...no not really.  Almost.  They don't seem to exist with stickers below $40K new.

For me, I wouldn't rule out the Jetta TDI.  I think it's great.  But, ultimately it's her nickel.   My aversion to used cars is probably irrational.  It's going to have to be.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #14 on: 10 Jan 2012, 07:07 am »
My aversion to used cars is probably irrational.  It's going to have to be.
i have never bought a new car in my life, and i am alive to talk about it!   :lol:

doug s.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 10 Jan 2012, 11:49 am »
Is the new Prius V a viable possibility? I have a 2006 Prius that seems to me to be all anyone would need but the new V, a station wagon version, is said to be much roomier and get even better gas mileage. I get 42 mpg in winter and 45 mpg in summer...without being particularly careful about stretching it.

timjthomas

« Reply #16 on: 10 Jan 2012, 12:09 pm »
There is the new Elantra Touring from Hyundai.

stereocilia

« Reply #17 on: 10 Jan 2012, 01:08 pm »
I hadn't thought about the Elantra or the Prius, but they don't fit the midsize category, roomy as they may be.  Both good thoughts.  As far as buying used, a low-mileage certified car should be pretty good.  On principle it makes sense.  Then again, I'm on the ten-year car buying cycle so it's hard for me to understand why somebody would give up a car with low miles unless it was a lemon.

Netdewt

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jan 2012, 01:23 pm »
People often change cars because of changing jobs, new babies, different needs than they had expected. A lot of people just decide they want something else.

I buy used everything. I doubt I'll EVER buy a new car.

TDI certified pre-owned, that's what we got. 2-yr, 24k mi warranty on a 2 year old car with 46k miles on it already. It's a diesel, so that mileage is a lot like buying a gas car with 23k mi on it. Diesels just go and go forever, and their resale value reflects that.

stereocilia

« Reply #19 on: 10 Jan 2012, 02:26 pm »
Diesel cars are nearly as rare or rarer than wagons. I would like to see the new Mazda 6 diesel here, same for Subaru.