MMG - help to stop this issue...

Davey

Re: MMG - help to stop this issue...
« Reply #80 on: 17 Jan 2012, 03:32 am »
I'll add that experiment to my to-do list.  It won't be high on the list though.  :)
Anyways, I long ago round-filed the connection plates, fuse holders, etc, etc, so I can't easily plug in a piece of 6 awg copper wire.

Cheers,

Dave.

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
« Reply #81 on: 22 Feb 2012, 09:18 pm »
Hi Michael,

My system:

I play FLAC files via USB into an Outlaw RR2150 which I use as a preamp which sends the signal to a Behringer EP4000 (650w). The amp is powerful enough to make the MMGs really come to life.

My question is, what are some popular ways to round out the MMG's sound? I love the transparency and imaging but I am having an issue:

-> Sometimes singing voices seems to "beem" at me from the razor sharp center. Even at normal volumes, the center image can have moments where it blasts at me / hurts my ears.

My room is 12x16, carpeted, not many flat surfaces. Speakers are about 7 feet apart, I sit in an equalateral triangle with them slightly toed in.

What are some popular ways to attenuate the tweeter? Is that what I need to do?

Michael

I can think of a few things to try:

1. First thing I noticed was the amp.  Have you tried feeding the MMGs directly from the Outlaw receiver?  I know folks doing this and brightness is just not an issue. 

2. The MMGs come with resistors designed for "padding" the tweeter output.  I've always used these (the 1 ohm resistors) with every pair of Maggies I've set up for myself, for clients and for friends, from the MMGs to 1.5s and 1.6s, to my 3.6s and 3.7s.  I've found that unless the room is unusually "dead" (i.e. all soft surfaces), the "pads" bring better overall balance to the speaker.

3. I also noticed you mentioned an equilateral triangle arrangement between speakers and listening position.  I suggest more of an isosceles triangle, with the listening position approximately 10% further from either speaker than the distance between left speaker center and right speaker center.  (If you are interested, see my article called Setting up your monitoring environment  )

4. Lastly, I didn't see whether you have the speakers set up with tweeters inboard (toward the center of the room) or outboard (toward the side walls).  I suggest inboard for more solid imaging, with (when properly set up) no loss of soundstage width.

Hope some or all of this helps.

Best regards,
Barry
www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
www.barrydiamentaudio.com
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2012, 12:34 am by bdiament »

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
« Reply #82 on: 22 Feb 2012, 09:23 pm »
Not sure why my post isn't showing up.