A reference recording: Dead Can Dance, MOFI Silver Label....

rcag_ils

Re: A reference recording: Dead Can Dance, MOFI Silver Label....
« Reply #20 on: 6 Jan 2012, 04:57 am »
I watched one of their performance on You Tube, they cracked me up.... :lol: They sounded like the new age catholic hymm of some sort. Did they happen to do the song in Lord of the Ring, Return of the King during the Condor calvary charging right into the Orcs arrows scene? It sounded so much like it. And NO, I will not buy their album.
« Last Edit: 6 Jan 2012, 01:28 pm by rcag_ils »

Kinger

« Reply #21 on: 6 Jan 2012, 11:46 am »
Gave this a preview through Itunes.  Definitely interesting and I liked it :)  Also tried Into the Labyrinth, but didn't care for it as much as this album from what I heard.

stlrman

« Reply #22 on: 8 Jan 2012, 01:46 am »
All of their albums are great!! Awesome sound quality as well.

nrenter

« Reply #23 on: 8 Jan 2012, 02:06 am »
Yeah, buy the entire remastered CD / SACD set - IMHO it's essential for their earlier releases. Their live release "Toward the Within" is really cool because the performance / recording is so good it's hard to believe it's "just a performance". If you can find it on laserdisc (another supposedly dead format) it's a cool score (it compelled me to track down a laserdisk player). I ordered the Silver Label releases the day they were announced and have #111 (Spiritchaser) and #107 (Into the Labyrinth). Musically, ItL is my favorite, but sonically, it's tough to beat Spiritchaser. I bought their first release back in the early '90s - it's *very* different from all their other works (as there's a track or 2 on their first full release that lean (just a touch) toward goth rock.

nrenter

« Reply #24 on: 8 Jan 2012, 02:15 am »
Lisa Gerrard sings many of her songs in a made up language that she started using at the age of twelve.

Yeah, I didn't realize that when I bought their first album back in college. I recall being kinda freaked out the first time I listened to the whole thing (particularly the song "Ocean") in the middle of the night.

Kinger

« Reply #25 on: 8 Jan 2012, 01:35 pm »
Ok, the more samples I listen to of these guys the higher they climb on my "want to own" list :)

stlrman

« Reply #26 on: 8 Jan 2012, 06:39 pm »
Klinger,
The 3 or 4 cd's that I own are all GREAT music, with refernce quality recordings.
I love the band's live album Toward the Within . It is a wonderful recording. 
I highly recommend Spirit Chaser and Into the Labyrinth!!
I also own the sound track to Gladiater, which features Lisa Gerrard's music.
I may look into the remastered versions of a few of their cd's. Are the remastered cd's a big leap up in sonics?
 It's ashame they don't record or play live any longer. I would drive a long distance to see them live. Although, with a good sound system they sound darn GREAT in your living room.
Enjoy the music!,
Todd

nrenter

« Reply #27 on: 8 Jan 2012, 07:09 pm »
It's ashame they don't record or play live any longer. I would drive a long distance to see them live.

Well, as luck would have it...http://deadcandance.com/

New album and tour in 2012.

stlrman

« Reply #28 on: 8 Jan 2012, 10:45 pm »
Thanks nrenter, I look forward to hearing the new album, and having the opportunity to see em live.
Hoping they come to Philly, as they would never come to Pittsburgh.
Thanks for the link!!

nathanm

« Reply #29 on: 12 Jan 2012, 06:41 pm »
New tour?  Wow, really cool.  Maybe I will get one final chance to see them in person, as I did with Roger Waters.  How Fortunate The Man With Some! :P  (They better not be charging Roger Waters ticket prices, though.  Cripes almighty...)

I don't think it is accurate to call them New Age, which I say mainly because I hate New Age, but also because I think it's quasi-objectively innacurate.  I've heard "World Music" which is less obnoxious, but really what kinda silly name is that?  Is there music made by martians?  Anyway, it doesn't matter, their music makes you not care about describing what it is.

E4T

• drummer, specialty coffee, music obsessed
« Reply #30 on: 13 Jan 2012, 03:45 pm »
I have the "Into the Labyrinth" MoFi LP.  Sounds amazing....really need to get Spiritchaser too.

I was lucky enough to see them on that tour in '93 in Atlanta, GA.  Was amazing.  New album coming out this year, which is great.

A friend got me into them in the late 80's and I remember hunting everything down on import, until Warner Bros struck a deal with 4AD and started rereleasing everything Stateside. 

Not for everyone, but once you get sucked in.........

Minn Mark

« Reply #31 on: 17 Jan 2012, 05:56 pm »
Wayner,
Ordered this (the DCD) on your recommend ,along with some other licorice pizzas from elusivedisc. Will let you know what I think when it arrives.

Happy listening,

M

Minn Mark

« Reply #32 on: 23 Jan 2012, 03:57 pm »
Yep, it's a really good recording.
One issue I do have is that I'm likely unfamiliar with some of the percussion instruments played on these discs so, given that I don't know exactly how thery're supposed to sound, I can't comment on the accuracy or trueness of their presentation. That said, the Lps are very quiet in terms of groove noise, and the imaging is dead-solid. In my system and with my hearing, I can appreciate the layering of the percussion, especially on Side 1, when at the end of track 1 the percussion is slowly omitted from the mix,one-by-one.    Not everyone's cup of tea, but with repeated listening would definitely be a 'reference' recording.  I'm going to look into purchasing Into the Labyrinth by DCD.

M

Minn Mark

« Reply #33 on: 23 Jan 2012, 03:59 pm »
Just a PS,

In this batch of LPs I also  bought Tom Waits' latest LP  Bad as Me and agree with the recent TAS review. The tunes are OK, but the mix is BAD.  :nono:

M

Kinger

« Reply #34 on: 17 Feb 2012, 12:34 pm »
Man I'm torn here.  Know I want to get some DCD, but can't decide if I want to pick up Realm of a Dying Sun first or Into the Labyrinth via Mo Fi.  Think I prefer the songs on Realm from the cuts I've heard, but how can you pass up a Mo Fi release when you know it's going to be nice and quiet?