How do I get an LS6 or 9?

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
Re: How do I get an LS6 or 9?
« Reply #20 on: 5 Jan 2012, 11:56 pm »
We just might have to do the same road trip. :)
Michael - Congrats on your boy!

Glad you discovered that a PS PP cleaned up the glare. I'm planning on doing something along those lines after another round of room treatments. (does it never end? :banghead:). Did you ever get any treatments for your room? I've never heard the 9's, but if your wife is game....... :green:

If any of the NorCal clan does a GTG, Anne and I would love it if you found it in your heart to allow the transplants up and give us an excuse to visit the old stomping grounds. We talk about a week long loop up through SLO and then the Bay Area ending up in wine country, just haven't quite found the occasion to tip the balance in favor of going yet. (hint hint hint)

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #21 on: 6 Jan 2012, 03:48 am »
Those who know us may know us as pretty easy going music lovers. My dad, who lives with us, is soon to be 94. He got me started on this hobby of mine when I was 10. That God-darned Sony reel to reel with the bi-directional head, well, let me tell ya, if that don't get you kick started at a tender young age, nothing will.  :lol:

I mentioned to my wife this evening about my correspondence on this site and the idea of having another get-to-gether. She's pretty excited about that as well as the prospect of reinventing a pair of LS9's. LS9's? She really liked you audio geeks. Go figure.  :o

My ~15 X 18 ft room is open to the whole house. It's a step down into the room but that's it. When we shopped for a house, audio was on our minds. Of course the rest of the house turned out to be a complete and total turd, but at least I got the 2 dedicated circuits installed to my 2 channel audio room as a priority.  :wink: We have a family room which I hung a LED TV above the fireplace and since fires have been outlawed in SJ, the fireplace now holds a 7 channel Arcam amp, a Marantz AV7005, an Oppo BDP83SE, wired ethernet, AC and cableplant all hidden within the confines inside the fireplace.
 Glad it never rains in San Jose  :scratch:

Cheeseboy

« Reply #22 on: 6 Jan 2012, 04:40 am »
I blame my dad as well.  His old HK gear and all those jazz records.  He said he couldn't take them with him but somehow I think he managed to do it. 

There were two life changing technologies that were introduced to me at your house.  The LS6 line source speakers and the wine venturi.  Both have changed my life. 

Yes we are total geeks.  I thought that is why we all got along!

Can I get a reservation for the sweet spot before MorganC does his audio hog on the couch?   

Cheeseboy

« Reply #23 on: 6 Jan 2012, 04:47 am »
I looked on the GR Research website, but did not see a reference to the LS kits.  Are there plans available and what is the kit cost?

They are here:  http://gr-research.com/archivedmodels.aspx

They are called the Alpha LS.  They play big.  That would be great winter project.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #24 on: 6 Jan 2012, 05:05 am »
The Alpha speaker was a previous model with different drivers than the LS series. It is no longer available.  Email Danny for a price on the LS series.  He will also send you the cabinet plans.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #25 on: 6 Jan 2012, 01:52 pm »
I blame my dad as well.  His old HK gear and all those jazz records.  He said he couldn't take them with him but somehow I think he managed to do it. 

There were two life changing technologies that were introduced to me at your house.  The LS6 line source speakers and the wine venturi.  Both have changed my life. 

Yes we are total geeks.  I thought that is why we all got along!

Can I get a reservation for the sweet spot before MorganC does his audio hog on the couch?   
I remember the Venturi well. Can't remember who brought it. Zipped over to our BevMo when we got home to get one. Asked about it. Wouldv'e thought we were speaking Martian from the response we got. "Huh"?

Now they're all over the place.

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #26 on: 6 Jan 2012, 04:42 pm »

I know Ruben has built cabinets for both LS-6 and LS-9's and can build a pair any way you want them.

One way or another you you can have whatever you want.

Thanks Danny! :wave:

Hi Michael,

Like Danny said, I can supply you with whatever you might need. From flat pack, to fully assembled and anywhere in between.

If you end up tackling the whole enchilada yourself please feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions. They are a lot of fun to build! :thumb:

Best,

Ruben

Cheeseboy

« Reply #27 on: 6 Jan 2012, 05:42 pm »
Michael,

Can you buy these Super V's from Danny so we all can come over and give them a listen?

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=100658.0

Steve

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #28 on: 6 Jan 2012, 07:39 pm »
I saw those Super V's. That's looks like fun too! Always been a fan of open baffle speakers.

So many speakers- so little money.  :icon_lol:

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #29 on: 6 Jan 2012, 09:37 pm »
Michael - I just replied to your PM. :thumb:

Ruben

Cheeseboy

« Reply #30 on: 6 Jan 2012, 11:14 pm »
How much for the baby?

You have to have priorities man!

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #31 on: 7 Jan 2012, 05:56 pm »
Michael if you are thinking about LS 9's, I have the mother of all.....the CLS 9's that Arthurs had custom made, two out board xoers, bybees etc. Etc. Etc.  I am considering selling them.  They are one of a kind!  let me know if you are interested.
Regards,
Guy

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #32 on: 7 Jan 2012, 06:35 pm »
Michael if you are thinking about LS 9's, I have the mother of all.....the CLS 9's that Arthurs had custom made, two out board xoers, bybees etc. Etc. Etc.  I am considering selling them.  They are one of a kind!  let me know if you are interested.
Regards,
Guy

Pictures do not do them justice but here is a shot of them in Art's old room. They really are probably the most beautiful pair, as well as advanced pair of these speakers ever made.

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #33 on: 7 Jan 2012, 09:40 pm »
A picture is worth a 1000 words  :thumb:

HT cOz

« Reply #34 on: 7 Jan 2012, 11:51 pm »
I would like to see what Ruben could do if someone went "all in" for a pair of LS9s.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #35 on: 8 Jan 2012, 04:14 pm »
Regards,
Guy

Those are beautiful  :o
Of course you're local right?  :(

Doubt we have the budget for those beauties. I might have to sell my child   :shh:

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #36 on: 8 Jan 2012, 04:55 pm »
My current setup - if I can get the image to post - in my 2 channel room.

These are a pair of Tyler Acoustics Decade D1's crossover designed by Danny. They are very accurate and true to the music IMO.
 Pic won't post except in gallery  :(

Jerrin

« Reply #37 on: 8 Jan 2012, 04:59 pm »
I would like to see what Ruben could do if someone went "all in" for a pair of LS9s.

I'm working on that.   I've been talking with Ruben regarding the options, including the external crossovers.   I recently purchased half of my crossover components.  Bought the inductors and resistors.    :thumb:

I'll need to save for awhile to afford the caps.   

Danny has some smoking new designs for the future, but my personal goal is to have the paramount implementation of these speakers for my front channels.

kingdeezie

« Reply #38 on: 8 Jan 2012, 06:36 pm »
My current setup - if I can get the image to post - in my 2 channel room.

These are a pair of Tyler Acoustics Decade D1's crossover designed by Danny. They are very accurate and true to the music IMO.
 Pic won't post except in gallery  :(

Mike, the new setup looks pretty sweet.

I see you still have the Pass Labs amplifier.

I also had a Pass Labs 250.5 on my LS-6s, and honestly, I was not completely happy with the pairing. The Pass Labs amplifier is a great amplifier, but it is a little on the cool side, and I didn't feel it meshed well with the Neos.

IF you happen to get the LSs again, my advice would be to go tubes. I now use a pair of Manley Neo Classic 250s on my LSs to great success.

Good luck!  :thumb:

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #39 on: 8 Jan 2012, 06:47 pm »
+1.
Mike, the new setup looks pretty sweet.

I see you still have the Pass Labs amplifier.

I also had a Pass Labs 250.5 on my LS-6s, and honestly, I was not completely happy with the pairing. The Pass Labs amplifier is a great amplifier, but it is a little on the cool side, and I didn't feel it meshed well with the Neos.

IF you happen to get the LSs again, my advice would be to go tubes. I now use a pair of Manley Neo Classic 250s on my LSs to great success.

Good luck!  :thumb: