How do I get an LS6 or 9?

MichaelHiFi

How do I get an LS6 or 9?
« on: 4 Jan 2012, 11:51 pm »
As a former owner of the LS6 I wish to locate or possibly build this line array.

I was one of the original buyers from Mark's China stash (piano black) and had a get-to-gether at my house in San Jose, Ca with a good group of AV123 fans.

Well that's all history now but I'd like to take an LS6 or 9 up to another level, if that's possible with my feeble electronic abilities. I did add the platinum bypass caps, polyfilled the cabinets and felted around the tweeter arrays which in our room brought the speakers up a notch.

I have limited carpentry skills but wouldn't mind trying to build a pair if LS6 or LS6 cabinets weren't available.

Any hope?  :|

Danny Richie

Re: How do I get an LS6 or 9?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2012, 11:59 pm »
I have plenty of kits on hand.

I know Ruben has built cabinets for both LS-6 and LS-9's and can build a pair any way you want them.

Hugh might have some LS-9's in stock already built out. I am not sure about the LS-6.

One way or another you you can have whatever you want.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2012, 12:33 am »
Hey Michael!
I was at that GTG. It was a good time with great people.  :thumb: If I may ask, what happened to your LS-6's? You had very nice system - I wanted to steal your Cary.

morganc

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jan 2012, 07:29 am »
Hi Michael,
     I was the "young chair hog"  :lol: at your GTG.  Let me know if you are still in the area.   I live in SF and would love to have you over sometime.   Hugh at Angel City Audio may have some LS-6's. If you want to hear something different, I have a pair of Tekton Pendragons on the way which I think are gonna be amazing........I am glad you are back on your feet and still kick myself for not picking up your LS's when they were for sale. 
Cheers,
Morgan

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2012, 01:09 pm »
If I remember correctly, Hugh does have some LS-9s in Piano Black available. No LS-6's in stock.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2012, 03:45 pm »
What happened to my LS6's? I sold them. :oops:

I'm pretty critical when it comes to my music (actually anal). With the LS6's, I fought this HF glare that would show up on a lot of material I played. Eventually, I blamed the Nuforce amps but noted this behavior with other amps as well. I took a deep plunge into a Pass Labs X350.5 amp. 150 lbs of musical bliss. The 6's sounded great (they did anyway) but there was still the glare issue. I even thought about wiring out some of the Neo drivers! As I mentioned I felted around the Neo 8's which helped again, but not fully. So I put them for sale wanting to try something different. They sold cheap and before the buyer took possesion we procured a pair of Dynaudio Confidence C1's. Around the same time I added a PS Audio Power Plant Premier AC regenerator. I attached my digital source to the PPP and oh F#$@. Glare was history. LS6's were glorious! And they were sold. The Dyn's weren't even in the same league not to mention a driver melted which the company blamed me for which cost us dearly.  :evil: I won't own a Dynaudio product ever again.

I've rotated a number of speakers through our living room but honestly, none have sung like the LS6's. I've got a pair of Tyler Acoustic D1s' in my room which sound great. Ruler flat frequency, these are some studio mastering type speakers. Still wanting the line arrays though

Folks, I'd love to have you over again for a musical party. I've got some interesting equipment including a Allnic L3000 preamp. Never heard of Allnic huh.

And now I have hope of getting some LS6's or perhaps even - 9's?  :thumb:

Morgan - I'd like to check your digs sometime soon. We're further south in SJ now but it's own own place, not rented.

Dannie - I'll contact you.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2012, 03:53 pm »
Michael,

It's all about Synergy. :)

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2012, 03:58 pm »
We have LS9 in PB & PR and LS6 in SR & PR (only 1 pair each).

Thanks Bill,
If I remember correctly, Hugh does have some LS-9s in Piano Black available. No LS-6's in stock.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2012, 04:37 pm »
I was one of the original buyers from Mark's China stash (piano black) and had a get-to-gether at my house in San Jose, Ca with a good group of AV123 fans.

Michael,
That sure was alot of fun.  We ended up buying a pair of LS6 as well thanks to the hospitality that you extended that day.  It would be very difficult to go backwards in a pair of speakers from there.  Perhaps it is time for another get together.   

Steve

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jan 2012, 04:44 pm »
Hugh - What kind of money are we talking about prebuilt 6's or 9's and where are you located?

I still desire to "build them" but would rather see a full-on kit wood included. I was bummed having missed the cabinet sale...

A get-to-gether would be in order. I'm challenged though having a 19 month old son who adores the music system  :nono:   :nono: and can't keep his hands off of anything with buttons or dials. My cartridge is getting a new needle...    :duh:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #10 on: 5 Jan 2012, 04:59 pm »
I still desire to "build them" but would rather see a full-on kit wood included. I was bummed having missed the cabinet sale...
I was lucky and picked up a set of cabinets for my LS9s just before AV123 went broke.  I had already cut out most of the panels and braces, but couldn't pass up the deal on the finished cabinet.  If your interested, PM me and I'll make you a great deal on an LS9 flatpack.
Scott

Cheeseboy

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jan 2012, 08:11 pm »
A get-to-gether would be in order. I'm challenged though having a 19 month old son who adores the music system  :nono:   :nono: and can't keep his hands off of anything with buttons or dials. My cartridge is getting a new needle...    :duh:

Michael,

We have been off making music while you have been off making babies.  Congradulations to you and your lovely wife.  The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.  He sounds like a music lover and equipment afficianado to me!

Steve

jacket_fan

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jan 2012, 08:39 pm »
I may need a big woodworking project for the winter, and a pair of line arrays may just be perfect.

I looked on the GR Research website, but did not see a reference to the LS kits.  Are there plans available and what is the kit cost?

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jan 2012, 10:42 pm »
Michael,

We have been off making music while you have been off making babies.  Congradulations to you and your lovely wife.  The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.  He sounds like a music lover and equipment afficianado to me!

Steve

Judging by the amount of dancing Jr does while we play music, I think we created another misguided audiophile  :duh:

Thanks Steve!

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jan 2012, 10:44 pm »
I lean towards LS6's. My wife wants the 9's. What's wrong with this picture?   :scratch:

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #15 on: 5 Jan 2012, 10:56 pm »
You have a PM

SoCalWJS

« Reply #16 on: 5 Jan 2012, 11:15 pm »
Michael - Congrats on your boy!

Glad you discovered that a PS PP cleaned up the glare. I'm planning on doing something along those lines after another round of room treatments. (does it never end? :banghead:). Did you ever get any treatments for your room? I've never heard the 9's, but if your wife is game....... :green:

If any of the NorCal clan does a GTG, Anne and I would love it if you found it in your heart to allow the transplants up and give us an excuse to visit the old stomping grounds. We talk about a week long loop up through SLO and then the Bay Area ending up in wine country, just haven't quite found the occasion to tip the balance in favor of going yet. (hint hint hint)

Cheeseboy

« Reply #17 on: 5 Jan 2012, 11:39 pm »
I lean towards LS6's. My wife wants the 9's. What's wrong with this picture?   :scratch:

If you can't reach the top of the speaker does dust really accumulate there?  If you answer no than you must buy the LS9's.  I'm with her.  It has nothing to do with bass.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #18 on: 5 Jan 2012, 11:44 pm »
I had the glare problem with the old Integrated Amp and the LS6's.  The Dodd Battery PreAmp and the Cherry have eliminated the glare.  Now jaws drop and people drool alot.  But the glare of disbelief is gone.  Love these speakers.  See you soon.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #19 on: 5 Jan 2012, 11:53 pm »
Michael,

We are about 40 miles East of LA in SoCal.

The price will be up on our website later today.

It'll definitely not be av123's pricing, in case anybody thinks that's what they should be able to get.

Also, how large is your room?
Hugh - What kind of money are we talking about prebuilt 6's or 9's and where are you located?