should there be a peak age for audio reviewers?

Rclark

Re: should there be a peak age for audio reviewers?
« Reply #80 on: 5 Jan 2012, 06:49 am »
I believe it, that guy is talented. You cannot be in your 40's and still be popular as a hip hop artist unless you have some serious game.

Æ

« Reply #81 on: 5 Jan 2012, 04:47 pm »
I believe it, that guy is talented. You cannot be in your 40's and still be popular as a hip hop artist unless you have some serious game.

Yes, he is the senior citizen of rappers. They usually don't live very long, either they die in a drive by shooting or have a heart attack.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #82 on: 5 Jan 2012, 10:21 pm »
Yes, he is the senior citizen of rappers. They usually don't live very long, either they die in a drive by shooting or have a heart attack.

Or they get out of the biz and make even more money [O'Shea Jackson, Tracy Marrow, and Jesse B. Weaver].

JohnR

« Reply #83 on: 11 Jan 2012, 08:12 am »
Yes, he is the senior citizen of rappers.

So there's no "peak age" for rappers?

Rclark

« Reply #84 on: 11 Jan 2012, 11:35 pm »
we have yet to find out.

Æ

« Reply #85 on: 12 Jan 2012, 01:24 am »

I wouldn't know, I don't listen to rap. Never have, never will.

Rclark

« Reply #86 on: 12 Jan 2012, 01:31 am »
your loss!

Æ

« Reply #87 on: 12 Jan 2012, 01:33 am »
Maybe they are like Andy Rooney, they'll keep working till they are well past old and gray, hesitantly retire and die a month later.

Æ

« Reply #88 on: 12 Jan 2012, 01:38 am »
your loss!

Sorry, I have rap intolerance. It gives me gastroenteritis and I have to run to the bathroom.

Lyndon

« Reply #89 on: 12 Jan 2012, 01:38 am »
Didn't Snoop's tour bus get busted last week in Texas?

He was immediately released, citing the Willie Nelson law. You gotta have at least 3 pounds for personal use. :wink:

How can Snoop be considered old school, or are you guys not respecting Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five? :thumb:
One of my all time favorite hip hop, rap, and dance track albums.

Rclark

« Reply #90 on: 12 Jan 2012, 01:45 am »
Ae I used to say the same thing about Jazz. "Elevator Music" was the term used, I believe. Rap, however, is almost a time sensitive thing. If you aren't brought up with it, the whole thing will go right over your head.

Æ

« Reply #91 on: 12 Jan 2012, 01:46 am »
If you aren't brought up with it, the whole thing will go right over your head.

Or down the toilet.

Rclark

« Reply #92 on: 12 Jan 2012, 01:49 am »

Lol, you're the one missing out, not me  :green:

Æ

« Reply #93 on: 12 Jan 2012, 02:02 am »
Lol, you're the one missing out, not me  :green:

How would you know? Especially when you're the guy who cannot hear any differences in cables!  :green:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #94 on: 12 Jan 2012, 02:02 am »
Ae I used to say the same thing about Jazz. "Elevator Music" was the term used, I believe. Rap, however, is almost a time sensitive thing. If you aren't brought up with it, the whole thing will go right over your head.
If Art Ensemble of Chicago or their likes was being piped in, that would be an elevator I would go out of my way to ride.  More likely, it was Kenny G.

Æ

« Reply #95 on: 12 Jan 2012, 02:05 am »
If Art Ensemble of Chicago or their likes was being piped in, that would an elevator I would go out of my way to ride.  More likely, it was Kenny G.

They pipe in elevator music at a local ACE Hardware store. I almost hit the floor when one day I recognized them playing a tune by Jimi Hendrix!

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #96 on: 12 Jan 2012, 02:21 am »

Seems to me in that business, you don't get a chance to grow old..........

Edit:  Perhaps I should say it is "intensely competitive"

Rclark

« Reply #97 on: 12 Jan 2012, 09:41 pm »
No it's just that hip hop hasn't been around long enough. Late late late 70's early 80's at best and even back then it was real "prototypey".

Wayner

« Reply #98 on: 12 Jan 2012, 10:05 pm »
RAP is a cultural music, born in the inner city, but has spread to the farmland. It isn't a racial culture, rather a lifestyle anthem type of music. Most is filled with what I (as an outsider)feel, is filled with immorality, violence and non-tolerance. It is also filled with vulgar language and vulgar acts, or at least descriptions of vulgar acts. It's downright mean and nasty.

For someone such as myself or as I suspect AE to eventually "come around" to this music, I doubt it will never happen. We were brought up better then that. I gleefully await the day that it disappears from the earth, along with the culture that spurred it. It's just plain music that looks for trouble and puts walls between people. As a Pink Floyd song states: It's a "Division Bell", at least in my opinion.

Wayner

Æ

« Reply #99 on: 12 Jan 2012, 10:25 pm »
For someone such as myself or as I suspect Æ to eventually "come around" to this music, I doubt it will never happen. We were brought up better then that. I gleefully await the day that it disappears from the earth, along with the culture that spurred it. It's just plain music that looks for trouble and puts walls between people. As a Pink Floyd song states: It's a "Division Bell", at least in my opinion.

Wayner

Yes, I doubt it will e v e r happen too. Ultimately though, I think that type, genre of music is driven by sales/money and when the times comes around that it is no longer profitable, it will be relegated to the "oldies" bin. And finally of course, a new generation will come along and they'll be listening to something altogether different.
There is a local radio station here that "Plays all of the hits with none of the Rap." I guess a lot of "tweens" aren't into rap very much already.