Best and least expensive tablet for e-mail and web browsing

ngomez745

Re: Best and least expensive tablet for e-mail and web browsing
« Reply #20 on: 3 Jan 2012, 08:44 pm »
Another question, for the non Apple products don't you need security software?
So 500 dollars,another 100 bucks for software, and every year after that?

WGH

« Reply #21 on: 3 Jan 2012, 09:04 pm »
The February 2012 issue (pg. 16-17) of Maximum PC has a Head to Head comparison between the Kindle Fire vs. Nook Tablet.
The winner: Kindle Fire

But go to a bookstore and read the article and decide for yourself. I use a rooted Nook Color (first generation) and though a little pokey it works fine.

Wayne

WGH

« Reply #22 on: 3 Jan 2012, 09:22 pm »
Aside from portability and possibly price, do these tablets provide any advantage over a laptop? I've never used one but from the outside I can't see any reason to buy one. Enlighten me.

The tablets are less useful than a laptop but they do do a few things much better:

Cool Running - set or hold them anywhere because there are no vents to block
Portability - the same size as a medium sized paperback book, I read Tone Audio while kicked back on my couch listening to music.
Readability - no eye strain while reading e-books in any light with easily changed screen brightness, font size and style.
Convenience - easy to read in bed, just like a real book

Wayne

mr_bill

« Reply #23 on: 3 Jan 2012, 09:52 pm »
Spend a lot - Apple Ipad
IF not, buy a Nook Color or a Kindle Fire

mhconley

« Reply #24 on: 3 Jan 2012, 09:59 pm »
Just on principle? They look at you funny or something?

Yes, just on principle.

Gopher

« Reply #25 on: 3 Jan 2012, 10:02 pm »
I don't know if this thing is worth a damn, but it runs Ice Cream Sandwich for $99

http://undergroundtablet.mybigcommerce.com/android-4-0-ice-cream-sandwich-ainovo-tablet/

mhconley

« Reply #26 on: 3 Jan 2012, 10:06 pm »
The February 2012 issue (pg. 16-17) of Maximum PC has a Head to Head comparison between the Kindle Fire vs. Nook Tablet.
The winner: Kindle Fire

But go to a bookstore and read the article and decide for yourself. I use a rooted Nook Color (first generation) and though a little pokey it works fine.

Wayne

Engadget liked the Nook Tablet better but gave the nod to the Kindle Fire due to "Amazon's pricing and suite of service".

I have Nook Color on which I occasionally boot CyanogenMod from an SD card; the rest of the time it's a standard Nook Color and used primarily as an eReader when I travel.  I bought my wife a Nook Tablet for Christmas and it is considerably quicker.

Truthfully, I prefer a netbook or small laptop for surfing the web or emailing from the sofa.

Martin

Sonny

« Reply #27 on: 3 Jan 2012, 10:11 pm »
got the kindle fire for my wife, she likes it..surfs the net, email and read books!  all for $199!

saisunil

« Reply #28 on: 3 Jan 2012, 10:17 pm »
We have a couple of ipads in the family and we all love it ...
For the reasons mentioned by the OP, we bought Kindle Fire ...On book it looks good ... but we did not end up using it ... we returned it shortly after minimal use and don't miss it ... but to each their own
iPad is worth the price over other alternatives in our experience ... buy the cheapest iPad though ...
Having used iPad, I cannot recommend any other tablet ... but if some one had no experience with iPad - other alternatives provide good options for the price ...
Cheers

Sonny

« Reply #29 on: 3 Jan 2012, 10:20 pm »
We have a couple of ipads in the family and we all love it ...
For the reasons mentioned by the OP, we bought Kindle Fire ...On book it looks good ... but we did not end up using it ... we returned it shortly after minimal use and don't miss it ... but to each their own
iPad is worth the price over other alternatives in our experience ... buy the cheapest iPad though ...
Having used iPad, I cannot recommend any other tablet ... but if some one had no experience with iPad - other alternatives provide good options for the price ...
Cheers

i have used both and though the Fire is slower and smaller, for what we need, the Fire was a better choice...that and i save money from her gift to buy audio stuff!   :thumb: :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #30 on: 4 Jan 2012, 03:56 am »
Check the latest.....news...  8)

R_burke

« Reply #31 on: 4 Jan 2012, 03:08 pm »
Everything I've read recently says I should wait a month or two until Apple does it's thing and until after the CES because prices should drop for the current models.  If I can wait that long  :roll: If not it looks like a Kindle Fire will suit my purposes nicely.

Thanks again for everyone's inputs

cujobob

« Reply #32 on: 4 Jan 2012, 06:55 pm »
Ipad 3 possibly this month, very nice  :thumb:

ratso

« Reply #33 on: 4 Jan 2012, 07:06 pm »
sorry guys, i know you are all IT guys but the OP asked for an inexpensive tablet for email and web browsing. that's not a $500 tablet or ipad. it's a kindle fire. and i love my ipad, btw.

Wayne1

« Reply #34 on: 4 Jan 2012, 07:16 pm »
Personally, I love my Kindle Fire. It does exactly what I need it to do. I just installed Squeeze Commander on it and it works great to control all my SqueezeBoxes. The 7" size is better for me than a larger tablet.

cujobob

« Reply #35 on: 4 Jan 2012, 07:20 pm »
According to the posted article there's rumored to be an iPad two for $299 which is more competitive with the fire.

chip

« Reply #36 on: 4 Jan 2012, 07:35 pm »
Nook running CM7....
« Last Edit: 6 Jan 2012, 05:41 pm by chip »

R_burke

« Reply #37 on: 5 Jan 2012, 08:05 pm »
any update on the issue.

Assuming you're refeering to the $299 Ipad2 - the Macworld/Iworld exposition isn't until 1/25 - 1/28 so you need to wait another few weeks

mca

« Reply #38 on: 6 Jan 2012, 01:52 am »
This is a NOOB question, but what does" rooted" mean?

WGH

« Reply #39 on: 6 Jan 2012, 03:03 am »
Rooting a Nook Color is real easy, basically it means running the Nook with a modified Android operating system to unleash the full potential of the tablet. CM7, also known as CyanogenMod 7 will boot off a microSD card. Remove the card, re-boot and once again you have a fully functional Nook Color running the Barnes and Noble crippleware.

Read more Here: http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/nook-color-cm7.html

Wayne