SW 8-16 subwoofers

Stuart

SW 8-16 subwoofers
« on: 31 Dec 2011, 09:42 am »
Hi Danny,

I am currently usung a TC sounds epic 10 subwoofer as the active bass unit at the bottom of each of my 2 way monitors  (in other words 2 of them, one per side) in a 1 cubic foot sealed box with the O audio 500 watt plate amp. This sounds really good and goes deep for 2 channel music. I would love to know if 2 off the new 8" 16ohm subs, will be better per side with the Rythmic plate amp. Will they reach as low? My 2 way monitors are also sealed and play down to 50Hz and I let the subs on each side take over from there. I would love to have your advice, if i use just 2 oer side the impeedance will be 8ohm, will it be better to use 3 per side?

Regards,

Stuart

Chops

Re: SW 8-16 subwoofers
« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2011, 01:01 pm »
I'd do four drivers per channel for a 4 ohm load on the amp, and have them in an isobaric configuration. You'll have the same output capabilities as just two drivers, but half the enclosure size, a lot less harmonic distortion and double the power handling.

If this is strictly for music, I think this is probably the best way to go. You'll have plenty of output being that you have a 500 watt amp pushing each "quad" of subs, you'll have better detail (cleaner too) from the isobaric loading of the drivers, very tight, punchy, accurate bass and the ability to have smaller enclosures (half the size of an enclosure if you only ran two drivers).

Stuart

« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2011, 03:29 pm »
Hi Chops,

I was thinking of using the 370 Rythmic plate amp with the servo funtion as I presume these new 8" of Danny's have the sensing coil as well, what would you say would be the ideal box size. Maybe Danny can chime in!

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2011, 04:07 pm »
My 8" servo subs are designed for open baffle applications. And only 3 of them can be used on a single amp at a time. You can run them in a sealed box but they need a lot of air space.

It has not been announced yet but there is also a 4 ohm and 8 ohm 8" servo sub in stock, designed for a sealed box. They only need .3 cubic feet per woofer. And the 8 ohm woofer was made so that a pair can be used with one amp.

The servo subs can play to any range that you want them to. You can even make them play flat to 20Hz if you want. You just limit total SPL when you do that. You can only move so much air with an 8" woofer. So to hit higher SPL's you will need to limit high low they play. We have not had time to play with them yet to see what those numbers will be. So hang in there.

Stuart

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2011, 04:14 pm »
Thanks for the reply Danny,

Do you think  2 of the new 8ohm 8" will out perform 1 of the TC sounds Eric 10" ?

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2011, 04:17 pm »
Thanks for the reply Danny,

Do you think  2 of the new 8ohm 8" will out perform 1 of the TC sounds Eric 10" ?

Outperform, easily! Less moving mass and more stopping power by a big factor. Resolution, control, actually low level details, more realism, less boom, all of that in spades.

Will they play as loud? Maybe, maybe not.

Stuart

« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2011, 04:26 pm »
Outperform, easily! Less moving mass and more stopping power by a big factor. Resolution, control, actually low level details, more realism, less boom, all of that in spades.

Will they play as loud? Maybe, maybe not.
I guess patience is the name of the game here. Any idea how long? Do you think I could take a chance and order 4 to test out. Danny could I put 2 in a 1 cubic foot box and share the same enclosure or should I put them in their own .3 box?

Regards,

Stu 

Chops

« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2011, 05:06 pm »
And only 3 of them can be used on a single amp at a time. You can run them in a sealed box but they need a lot of air space.

Danny, if that 370 amp can run two SW-12-08's, then why can't it power four of the SW-8-16's? Two 8's or four 16's paralleled still equals 4 ohms to the amp. Just curious, how much air space is a lot? Also, you can save a lot on that air space if you do isobaric loading. Just throwing out some ideas, that's all.  :wink:

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #8 on: 31 Dec 2011, 05:34 pm »
It has not been announced yet but there is also a 4 ohm and 8 ohm 8" servo sub in stock, designed for a sealed box. They only need .3 cubic feet per woofer. And the 8 ohm woofer was made so that a pair can be used with one amp.

Neat. :)  Danny, you didn't happen to order any of the 8" sealed box spec drivers in 16-ohm to run 3 per amp by any chance?  :icon_twisted:

Also, minor aside, does the different impedance value drivers in stock mean the new amp designs providing multiple amp channels to run multiple 4-ohm drivers got shelved in favor of the old fashioned (current) amps built as mono channel for a 4-ohm load (changing the impedance of the driver to run multiples)?

Chops, I'm not Danny, but if I remember right, 4 of the 16-ohm drivers actually dips to something like 3.2-ohms, so folks found that it COULD be done, but you were running on the ragged edge of the amps overheating, hence restraint won the day and the consensus settled on 3 drivers per amp.

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2011, 06:42 pm »
Neat.   Danny, you didn't happen to order any of the 8" sealed box spec drivers in 16-ohm to run 3 per amp by any chance? 

Right now the lower Q version is just in 8 ohm and 4 ohm.

Also, minor aside, does the different impedance value drivers in stock mean the new amp designs providing multiple amp channels to run multiple 4-ohm drivers got shelved in favor of the old fashioned (current) amps built as mono channel for a 4-ohm load (changing the impedance of the driver to run multiples)?

The amps with multiple channels is in the plans but for now it is easier and quicker to bring to market using current amps. There is also a new amp with a plate that is just 8" wide that is still in development.

Chops, I'm not Danny, but if I remember right, 4 of the 16-ohm drivers actually dips to something like 3.2-ohms, so folks found that it COULD be done, but you were running on the ragged edge of the amps overheating, hence restraint won the day and the consensus settled on 3 drivers per amp.

DRC on the 16 ohm version actually drops to 11.6 ohms. So three is the limit.

Stuart

« Reply #10 on: 31 Dec 2011, 09:48 pm »
Happy New year Danny. Its now 12 o'clock here in South Africa :D

Stu

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 31 Dec 2011, 10:52 pm »
Wow, thanks Stu,

We still have a good ways to go but it won't be long.

I have a good friend in South Africa right now. Maybe one day I can go visit him.

Stuart

« Reply #12 on: 1 Jan 2012, 08:53 am »
That would be great, you will love it, 28 deg c today. Where does your friend stay. We are in a small English type village on the Klip River, just south of Johannesburg. The Cape is my favourite and Cape Town has some really great places to hang out. The Wine Route is a must :wink:

alienderivative

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jan 2012, 02:55 pm »
Can the SA-1 amp be used with a pair of servo 8's in an OB?

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 1 Jan 2012, 06:23 pm »
Can the SA-1 amp be used with a pair of servo 8's in an OB?

Nope. They require a servo amp.

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 1 Jan 2012, 06:26 pm »
That would be great, you will love it, 28 deg c today. Where does your friend stay. We are in a small English type village on the Klip River, just south of Johannesburg. The Cape is my favourite and Cape Town has some really great places to hang out. The Wine Route is a must :wink:

I can't remember for sure what town he lives in. But I think he preaches at the Seeiso Street church of Christ in Atteridgeville.

alienderivative

« Reply #16 on: 1 Jan 2012, 07:03 pm »
Don't know why I asked, I knew that.  Must have been a New Years brain dysfunction. 

Stuart

« Reply #17 on: 1 Jan 2012, 07:29 pm »
I can't remember for sure what town he lives in. But I think he preaches at the Seeiso Street church of Christ in Atteridgeville.
Hey Danny,

Thats just outside Pretoria, about 100 km from here. Good thing he is doing. I do some work in Pretoria about twice a month, I will see if I can find it :)

Regards,

Stu

Danny Richie

« Reply #18 on: 1 Jan 2012, 08:45 pm »
Hey Danny,

Thats just outside Pretoria, about 100 km from here. Good thing he is doing. I do some work in Pretoria about twice a month, I will see if I can find it :)

Regards,

Stu

His name is Rohan Jones. He is a really nice guy and I am sure that he would get a kick out of our connection.

Stuart

« Reply #19 on: 3 Jan 2012, 07:16 pm »
Danny, I will see if I can get over there sometime next week :) I will take a few pic's.

As for the woofers, I like the sound, (pardon the pun!) of 3 woofers. Do you think there will be any bennefit in using the 3 x 16ohm woofers in a slightly larger box, compared to using 2 x 8 ohm in a smaller box. Do you think I would get decent bass output if i put all 3 units on an open baffle?