35 Years of VMPS

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: 35 Years of VMPS
« Reply #40 on: 4 Jan 2012, 06:49 pm »

No, it's just that freight shipping on an approx $500 VMPS sub is not very attractive. I'm forced to look at other options. More subwoofer, less shipping cost in the deal. I understand that ultimately it might be worth it, but in the end I want to run potentially 4 subs, at least two, and the thought of how much the shipping would be on all that is a tough pill to swallow.

mr casler has awreddy summed it up best.  in a nutshell, would the shipping cost be more attractive if vmps charged $2k for the sub instead of $500?   8)  there's no such thing as a good light sub.   8)

wow - 35 years.  i drooled over vmps for many years, before i finally splurged and bought a new pair of vmps larger subs.  and that was almost 20 years ago!   :green:   and, i never buy new, i am too cheap!   :lol:  but even new, they were a freaking bargain.  including the shipping costs, not insubstantial for a pair of speakers 140lb each.  :green:   i have since upgraded them w/megawoofers, and they're still going strong.

long live brian cheney & vmps.

doug s.

Shear Bliss

« Reply #41 on: 7 Jan 2012, 05:07 am »
Congrats Brian on the 35 years! I too recall those Audio mag pictures of your speakers with all those drivers. I drove from Detroit to South Bend, Ind. to audition the line. Ended up buying the Tower IIs ... the larger model I lusted after would"nt fit in my 1987 IROC. Later on I upgraded to the Tower IIRs which were delivered via truck. I now have the RM-1s with upgraded Mega woofers and the wave guides in light oak. Also in oak a pr. of 626 monitors.
So again Big B congrats on the 35th year in business.

Shear Bliss

warnerwh

« Reply #42 on: 8 Jan 2012, 02:04 am »
Your contribution to the world of high end speakers has been substantial and greatly appreciated by many. Congratulations!

Rclark

« Reply #43 on: 9 Jan 2012, 05:13 am »
mr casler has awreddy summed it up best.  in a nutshell, would the shipping cost be more attractive if vmps charged $2k for the sub instead of $500?   8)  there's no such thing as a good light sub.   8)

wow - 35 years.  i drooled over vmps for many years, before i finally splurged and bought a new pair of vmps larger subs.  and that was almost 20 years ago!   :green:   and, i never buy new, i am too cheap!   :lol:  but even new, they were a freaking bargain.  including the shipping costs, not insubstantial for a pair of speakers 140lb each.  :green:   i have since upgraded them w/megawoofers, and they're still going strong.

long live brian cheney & vmps.

doug s.

When it comes time to buy here in a few weeks I'm going to look hard at all the options, and give Casler a call as well. I certainly don't want to rule these out. These will be a long term investment.