How many watts ?

stlrman

Re: How many watts ?
« Reply #20 on: 28 Dec 2011, 04:21 pm »
Thanks again, I am learning alot, and appreciate all of the suggestions .
JLM , I am thinking I can get to 95 spl levels for a couple of minutes with an 80 watt amp. I would not be listening critically to more than a song or two at this level. I will try to set the amp 85 to 90spl when we are listening in other rooms.
I now want to get a really musical 80 watts because realistically, most of my listening will be done at mid to low volumes for casual listening, critical listening sessions should be between 70 to 80 sp.
I am willing to sacrifice some dynamics in not buying a mega watt amp,, for great low level and mid level listening.
I do run the amp for tv, and movies as well.
 There is a Resolution Audio Opus 21 amplifier on Agon right now for $699 OBO. This is a $2,000 amp! with 80 watts into 8 Ohms and it doubles to 160 watts into 4 Ohms. This company seems to make very musical components. Many of their components seem to be of great quality from reviews and customer's opinions. 
I am ready to sell The Jolida 1501 RC, lose 20 watts of power, to get the Opus, which I think wil be all the power I need, but offer me 80 very musical,clean watts.
I know the correct thing to do would be keep the Jolida for side by side comparison. Unfortunately, I need to sell it first to fund the sale for the Opus.
Anyone ever listened to The Opus 21 amplifier?
Thanks,
Todd

stlrman

« Reply #21 on: 28 Dec 2011, 04:44 pm »
Woops,  :duh:
I just spoke to Resolution Audio, as someone had previously mentioned here, the Opus integrated only works
 in a stackable configuration. No wonder no one is buying it . :duh:
I am also considering an Onkyo 955a (85 watts)  This amp has a few very fine reviews,and has many happy customer users who also rate its performance very high for its dollar value.
I may be able to purchase this for a side by side comparison.
Question, Do high watt amplifiers offer better low level sound ?
Todd

Freo-1

« Reply #22 on: 28 Dec 2011, 04:55 pm »
Have you considered something along these lines?

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?intatran&1325563759

Classe is a great company, and will stand behind their products.  It would provide sufficent power for your intended usage as well.

stlrman

« Reply #23 on: 28 Dec 2011, 05:33 pm »
Freo, That amp looks PERFECT!!
150 watts should be the perfect amount of watts for getting great dynamics with these speakers.
It looks awesome!! And is superbly musical from what I have read.
I am not sure if I can swing the price right now, as it still has 5 days to go on that auction.
I have seen other prices around $1200 asking. I may save up for this amp though.
I guess right now , I am ok with more of a sideways move in amps, as I want to keep my budget in check.
I really want to stay in the $600 range for now. I want an amp that I can live with for a couple of years, until I can buy a Classe amp, or like quality amp.
My last amp was a Musical Fidelity A5, which to me sounded very neutral and true to the source.
 I am used to this presentation in an amp.
I am not sure if the Classe Amplifier would have too much sound signature, as a few reviews mentioned it's warm tone.
Thanks,
Todd

Freo-1

« Reply #24 on: 28 Dec 2011, 06:49 pm »
Todd, that vintage of Classe is neutural.  The early Classe products were warmer.

They are a first rate outfit all the way.  I have a Classe SSP-300 that replaced a Krell Showcase.  The Classe is a order of magnatude better than the Krell. 

In fact, if I didn't have so much equipment already, would think about it myself.  If you can cobble the extra coin, just think you be a lt happier with that.  It puts out 225 watts at 4 ohms.

K Shep

« Reply #25 on: 28 Dec 2011, 07:09 pm »
I am buying new monitors with a stated 86.5 db, 8 ohm.
How many watts do I need to REALLY drive 86.5 speakers?

You've received great advice regarding power to drive your monitors. 

You also own a sub that you plan to integrate into your system.  AFAIK not all integrated amps have a "sub out".  Be sure to chat with the owner and check with the mfg when buying used as to their experience with the addition of a subwoofer.

stlrman

« Reply #26 on: 28 Dec 2011, 08:09 pm »
Yes indeed, thanks for all the advice and knowledge!
I spoke with the owner of Jolida , He said I could use the variable outputs to connect the subwoofer. it has no sub outputs.
Is there a problem connecting the sub to these outputs?
Is this Classe amp an older model amp with warm sound?
Todd

Freo-1

« Reply #27 on: 28 Dec 2011, 08:13 pm »
Yes indeed, thanks for all the advice and knowledge!
I spoke with the owner of Jolida , He said I could use the variable outputs to connect the subwoofer. it has no sub outputs.
Is there a problem connecting the sub to these outputs?
Is this Classe amp an older model amp with warm sound?
Todd

Todd, the Classe integrated listed is not overy warm like the eariler Classe units, but is very neutrual sounding.

stlrman

« Reply #28 on: 28 Dec 2011, 09:05 pm »
Thanks Freo! I am keeping an eye on this auction.
I think I will keep the Jolida for a few weeks to see how it does. (unless I jump in on the auction :o)
The Classe Cap 151 seems like it comes up pretty often on Agon , and there are a couple for sale in Canada.
There is another owner with the same speakers, using 40 watts and 87 watt SS amps, both to excellent results. The Jolida 1501RC with 100 watts may be up to the task, and sound great. (?)
 Thanks,
Todd

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #29 on: 28 Dec 2011, 11:28 pm »
Couple of comments.
I owned a CAP151 about five years ago. The comments above about it having a neutral character are pretty accurate. I might take it a bit further and call its sound sterile. Mine was replaced by a Portal Panache which had a very warm and inviting sound, much more to my liking. If that amp only had a remote control.
As for auctions on Audiogon, some of the best bargains I have come across were via Audiogon auctions. The Portal Panache I owned came through an Agon auction, one of those bargains.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #30 on: 29 Dec 2011, 01:52 am »
150 watts should be the perfect amount of watts for getting great dynamics with these speakers.

Which speakers?  Platinum Audio Solo???
Just curious.

stlrman

« Reply #31 on: 29 Dec 2011, 02:42 am »
thanks timind.
Vapor Audio's Breeze  :D :thumb:

paul canady

« Reply #32 on: 29 Dec 2011, 08:39 am »

Some amps clip gracefully, and kindly tell you to turn it down. Others go into full bore oscillation; when you finish crapping your pants about what's happening to your system (and then turn it down), one may may consider buying a high wattage, high current amplifier.  :D

Iv'e gone through a few pair myself.

stlrman

« Reply #33 on: 29 Dec 2011, 10:44 pm »
JLM, thanks, I am looking really hard at the Edge i3. Trying to find review or two. I found one good review, but would love to hear from anyone who has heard it, or owns it of course.
Thanks,
Todd