need a poweramp, on the cheap

sleepkyng

« on: 4 May 2004, 03:07 pm »
i just bought a real nice preamp for a future system, but i need a good cheap poweramp to hold me over till i get a nice one.
  any suggestions?

i was thinking of using a marantz 1060 as the amp, or maybe an old NAD integrated.

price range is 100-200

i listen to all types of music

markC

« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2004, 09:21 pm »
If you can find an old NAD 2140, it would be a good choice on the cheap for a tide-over. I've had one for almost 20 years now and although it resides in the second system, it's still a solid performer.

Bwanagreg

« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2004, 09:27 pm »
How much power do you really need? If you have a smaller room and/or more efficient speakers, get a Griffin Powerwave for $100. You may decide you don't need to upgrade once you hear it. There are a bunch of posts in various forums around here on this little amp.

vpolineni

« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2004, 09:28 pm »

TheChairGuy

« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2004, 10:10 pm »
AudioSource Amp2 or, if it's in your price range used, Amp3 are my suggestions.

Also, sleepkyng, what's oregonvermont?  No such town in Vermont...do you live in Oregon, but wish you were back in Oregon?

Just intrigued by it.....no obligation to answer.

sleepkyng

« Reply #5 on: 4 May 2004, 10:41 pm »
home is oregon, school is vermont (bennington college) :)

griffin powerwave eh?
 i will look into it,
this amp should be able to power some wharfedale 7.2's which i think have a 89dB rating or whatever

cheers!

rosconey

« Reply #6 on: 4 May 2004, 10:42 pm »
a harmon kardon pa 4000 is a nice sounds budget amp-
its 4 channel that can be bridged to 2-
i love mine

Carlman

« Reply #7 on: 4 May 2004, 11:27 pm »
B&K ST-140 or B&K ST-202 would be my first suggestions.  I've had them and they are very good for the money used.

Occam

Here ya go...
« Reply #8 on: 5 May 2004, 12:59 am »
Bennington???? S'Christ, well, at least its not Hampshire.....

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=82&brandID=2

An exceptionally fine sounding poweramp, especially through the RCA phonos... 90+watts/channel into 8ohms.

Minimal audiophile credibility, as its a 'pro' amp, but IMO, a far better amp than a NAD or B&K, without the risks of buying used.  Sweetwater, FullCompass, B&H will all sell it to you for $200 including shipping. Or you can find it at many local music/DJ stores, or do a froogle.com search.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Servo260

You didn't mention what preamp you've gotten. Iff'n its a tube output pre, the 10k input impedance could be problematic.  Its no big deal to bypass tthe dual mono input level controls, giving you a 57k input impedance. An emminently tweekable amp, and Samson will actually send you the schematics, gratis.

sleepkyng

« Reply #9 on: 5 May 2004, 01:55 am »
i'm in the process of buying a melos sha 1 preamp

i'm super interested in a griffin powerwave i think cuz it's the cheapest

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 5 May 2004, 02:01 am »
I really love my Pwave.  You wouldn't call my Griffon rig highend at all:  PC running USB to the Pwave, DIY speaker cable & JBL HLS-610 speakers.  But it sounds very nice nonetheless.  The JBL's are rated at about the same sensitivity as your speakers, and the Pwave has enough power to crank it up pretty good in my smallish room.

thayerg

Why not two?
« Reply #11 on: 5 May 2004, 02:47 am »
If you can biwire your speakers, why not consider two PWaves?  One amp per driver should sound a little special...

sleepkyng

« Reply #12 on: 5 May 2004, 03:26 am »
how can i tell if i can biwire my speakers?

powerwave is the wayi'm going i think

so if someone's got a used one, lemme know!

thayerg

« Reply #13 on: 5 May 2004, 03:31 am »
Are there four connectors on the back of each speaker or only two? If four you are in business for biwiring.

sleepkyng

« Reply #14 on: 5 May 2004, 03:38 am »
just two :cry:

oh well i'm tryin to keep it simple here!

will the powerwave have enough power to rock out my dorm room?

thayerg

« Reply #15 on: 5 May 2004, 03:59 am »
It probably will. But more importantly it will sound far better at lower and normal volume than most other amplifiers--treble won't be harsh and you can listen for longer periods without getting irritated. It won't do a disservice to your preamp.

Believe me this little unit just sounds better than most other budget gear. It is not perfect but for the money it is a knockout blow to most solid state electronics--a taste of tube bliss without the expense or hassle.

sleepkyng

« Reply #16 on: 5 May 2004, 04:18 am »
i have the asl wave 8 setup right now
but i'm selling it to fund my melos sha 1

will it rival my wave 8s?

ooheadsoo

« Reply #17 on: 5 May 2004, 05:15 am »
you should do some searches on the powerwave here.  People have compared it to $$$$ el34 amps.  I would take it over my nad that I have for sale for novelty's sake if nothing else.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #18 on: 5 May 2004, 11:50 am »
Quote from: sleepkyng
i have the asl wave 8 setup right now
but i'm selling it to fund my melos sha 1

will it rival my wave 8s?

I'm not quite sure why you're selling the Waves just to buy another amp??? If you sell the Waves for $200
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67786&item=3094294966&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
but spend $200 to get another amp, I'm not sure how you're ahead.
If you only buy a $100 PowerWave, that makes more sense (since you're gaining $100).

Something like the Advent 300 receiver MIGHT be good:  you could use the amp section now and use the FM section or phono section later when a better amp was affordable.  They vary considerably in price--one just sold for $56 on eBay but others are listed for $75 to $199.  I'm unsure its power rating could "rock out" your dorm though.

thayerg

« Reply #19 on: 5 May 2004, 03:36 pm »
I had the Waves for a while and the Pwave is at least as good. I'd say collecting the $100 difference between the two would be worthwhile.

And then stop agonizing over all this and start listening to music.

Mating an Advent 300 to a Melos is not a terribly good idea in my opinion.
By today's standards the Advent is pretty grungy.