Recommendations on the next best upgrade please?

Trismos

Recommendations on the next best upgrade please?
« on: 24 Dec 2011, 04:09 am »
Hello

I'll post this in the Virtue forum also. I'm looking for what might be a recommendation on a good solid upgrade on the system I have now:

Dell Inspiron, J-River, Grant Fidelity DAC-09, Virtue M-901 with Clarity MR Caps and Dodd Buffer, GR TL N3s with Sonic Caps. I have Grant Fidelity MRCA-1 interconnects and Virtue Nirvana speaker cables.

This set-up really kicks butt quite nicely, but I've been bitten by the audiophile upgrade bug. I can honestly say that my ear is probably not good enough to hear the difference between a better set of cables or interconnects. I was thinking I might go to the Stello U3 between the DAC and my laptop but I don't know if I'd really even appreciate that yet.

I'm really thinking that my next worthwhile upgrade, where I would really notice a huge difference, would be to go to an OB speaker ala the V series. I just think they're a little big for my room. Danny has been teasing us but I haven't seen anything yet.

If you owned my kit, what might you do?

RD

persisting1

Re: Recommendations on the next best upgrade please?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2011, 05:58 am »
You have a nice setup.  I know I'd enjoy it.  I'd say wait to see what Danny has to offer.  I know when the upgrade bug bites, it really stings, but you don't want to have buyers remorse.  Seems like Danny's new stuff will be coming out soon. 

For me, the biggest upgrade has always been the speakers.  That's where I'd put my money. 

From what others have said, the V2 really shines and has a smaller footprint. 

walkern

« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec 2011, 01:15 pm »
I'd wait for Danny's latest creation(s).  He seems to be pleased (my guess based on what little he's said) about the progress on the next project(s).  Seems to me that your system is nicely balanced at the moment, and that you'd have to make a pretty big outlay of $ to get any improvement that was really worthwhile.  And, if I were in your shoes, I'd consider the E.E. DAC as a possible upgrade.  I haven't heard the Grant DAC, but I have heard the E.E. and it is quite special.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2011, 02:26 pm »
What is powering the amp and the dac? If they are not on batteries, that's where I'd go next.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2011, 03:04 pm »
I have similar gear, Virtue Two.2-Power Amp only, Piano M1, Grant DAC-09 as a pre-amp and DAC, VAIO Laptop running SB server, Squeezebox Touch lighting up some JBL's.

Are you feeding the DAC with a USB output from the laptop??
 I was actually thinking about Grants new Yuolong SABRE DAC keeping the DAC-09 as pre-amp or having a passive pre-amp built to replace it-adding a remote volume control.
 I'd look at little stuff now-you have an excellent setup right now- maybe convert the USB signal to COAX or Optical and feed the DAC that way as it might be cleaner sounding. Batteries would be next to look at also.....What I did - and amazingly it worked out fantastic. I tried to eliminate as much crap in the signal, to make it cleaner and have a blacker background. The converter box I mentioned earlier would only work for you if it cleans up the USB signal, batteries would be huge, upgrade power supplies wherever you can--you'll hear that, I tried not to, but the difference was way too obvious.
 Read stuff in Bolder Cable's circle and see if it helps you maybe change out power supply to the Dell or anything else that you can.....not super expensive but I would almost guarantee you'll hear a nice difference. :thumb:

kip_

« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2011, 04:22 pm »
Room treatments?

emac

« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2011, 04:45 pm »
Room treatments?

Agree with the room treatments idea.  Probably the best bang for your buck. 

I'll also toss out adding Sonicap Platinums as bypass caps in the crossovers.  I've added them into three sets of speakers and have been happy with the results each time.

brother love

« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2011, 04:47 pm »
Trismos,

I have N3 TL's w/ Sonicap's & No-rez , Virtue Audio Sensation M451 w/ Dodd tube buffer & Sonicaps driven by batteries, Oppo-BD83SE blu-ray w/ Sabre Ultra DAC's.  Interconnects are Virtue Audio & Electra speaker cables.

I am looking for a DAC to run w/ my iMac. The GF DAC-11, Schitt Bifrost, Yulong Sabre D18 are high on my list. A used Mac mini will likely follow.

You have a nice set-up that can be revealing, so a DAC upgrade is a nice choice.

eclein has some really good advice to consider. Batteries are fantastic & well worth the cost. What tubes are you using?  Tube rolling is fun & can really tweak the sound in certain direction depending on your musical tastes & sonic preferences.

Highest recommendation I can add is radio shack sound pressure level meter (or software better yet), acoustical panels and diffusers.  DIY saves costs if needed. It is like a major component upgrade.

A nice sub (servo kicks ass) is a really good addition too esp. if you are a basshead.

jn316

« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2011, 06:00 pm »
1. Room treatments...if not much has been done...as mentioned, this doesn't have to cost much either.
2. Wait for Danny's new creations...I think he's going to do some magic with those Neo 10s (no pressure there, huh Danny  :green:). I don't think these will be cheap (inexpensive) though. Great bang for buck...you bet! Same cost as N3's... :nono:
3. Servo sub(s) would complete those N3's nicely!

Man, I like spending other people's money!

Happy Hunting!

Trismos

« Reply #9 on: 24 Dec 2011, 06:19 pm »
What is powering the amp and the dac? If they are not on batteries, that's where I'd go next.

The M-901 is on a pair of 12v 26ah batteries and a Solen charger. The DAC is on a GF RPF-120 MK11 conditioner with one of his PC-1.5 cords.

Trismos

« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 2011, 07:02 pm »
I have similar gear, Virtue Two.2-Power Amp only, Piano M1, Grant DAC-09 as a pre-amp and DAC, VAIO Laptop running SB server, Squeezebox Touch lighting up some JBL's.

Are you feeding the DAC with a USB output from the laptop??
 I was actually thinking about Grants new Yuolong SABRE DAC keeping the DAC-09 as pre-amp or having a passive pre-amp built to replace it-adding a remote volume control.
 I'd look at little stuff now-you have an excellent setup right now- maybe convert the USB signal to COAX or Optical and feed the DAC that way as it might be cleaner sounding. Batteries would be next to look at also.....What I did - and amazingly it worked out fantastic. I tried to eliminate as much crap in the signal, to make it cleaner and have a blacker background. The converter box I mentioned earlier would only work for you if it cleans up the USB signal, batteries would be huge, upgrade power supplies wherever you can--you'll hear that, I tried not to, but the difference was way too obvious.
 Read stuff in Bolder Cable's circle and see if it helps you maybe change out power supply to the Dell or anything else that you can.....not super expensive but I would almost guarantee you'll hear a nice difference. :thumb:

eclein, how's it going? I met you in a different forum re tube rolling the DAC-09 (lightecho)     As mentioned I'm thinking of the USB to SPDIF with a good device like the Stello U3 as opposed to moving up to the DAC-11 where I would probably notice less of a difference - but I'm guessing a bit there. The Stello jitter management is highly spoken of.

Room treatments might seem like a viable option, and I might be able to do something behind the speakers but that's about it without ruining the rather nice aesthetics I have going on now. Here's a pic of what's in front of me. There's a 6'6" x 5'6" bookshelf behind me. Keyboards on my right and a set of windows on my left.

Building and hearing the N3s was a revelation. I had moved from an apartment building to my own home where I could actually have a system I could turn up once in a while. Before that, my K-701s were the closest I came to good sound. Ordering the Virtue 1.2 somehow ballooned into the M-901 I have now along with all the other odds and ends including these little round triangle things I have under my amp / dac.

It's Christmas now and I'm feeling like I need to do some shopping!! I almost feel like I need to have an intervention!!!

Trismos

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #11 on: 24 Dec 2011, 07:13 pm »
The M-901 is on a pair of 12v 26ah batteries and a Solen charger. The DAC is on a GF RPF-120 MK11 conditioner with one of his PC-1.5 cords.
I agree with room treatments.

Trismos

« Reply #12 on: 24 Dec 2011, 08:49 pm »
I agree with room treatments.

I'd like to have that option but I don't see how. I could put some bass traps in the back corners as long as they're movable. I could put some diffusers on the back wall ala PIs ADQ stuff I suppose.

bummrush

« Reply #13 on: 24 Dec 2011, 10:50 pm »
I'm thinking about wall hanging some quilt like material on walls in room. I just got rid of a single bed that had been in listening room for way way too longAnd sound got clearer after that . If I hang a piece of material where would be a good place to start behind speakers in the center or hang a nice sized piece behind my listening chair?

Trismos

« Reply #14 on: 25 Dec 2011, 05:40 am »
After numerous hours reading reviews and the like, I just ordered the CEntrance DACmini CX. http://centrance.com/products/dacmini/

I'll give my two bits after it get's here.

regards
Dave

trianglezerius

« Reply #15 on: 25 Dec 2011, 01:09 pm »
Room treatments?

I 2nd this. Well treated room is the best upgrade, imo.

Danny Richie

« Reply #16 on: 27 Dec 2011, 12:13 am »
I 2nd this. Well treated room is the best upgrade, imo.

Me too.  :thumb: :thumb:  The room is as big a part of the system as anything else.

Trismos

« Reply #17 on: 27 Dec 2011, 04:26 am »
Everyone keeps piping in with 'room treatments' and I respect that this is probably a very good upgrade, but my room is there for everyone to see. Short of turning it into some sort of cave, removing all sense of aesthetics, I don't see how this is feasible and no one has made any suggestions.

Sounds kind of cranky doesn't it?

Anyways, I've ordered the CEntrance DACmini and a high end Cardas USB cable. I'll wait for Danny's next contribution before I think of upgrading again.

Unless someone has a suggestion for room treatments that works in the real world. My real world at any rate.

Regards
Dave

Danny Richie

« Reply #18 on: 27 Dec 2011, 04:38 am »
You can get creative and make nice looking room treatments.

Get some compressed fiberglass duct board. It is easy to work with. Cut you some nice sized panels and wrap them in fabric that matches your walls. Put one on the left and on on the right behind each speaker. You can even hang your art work (monkey face and tree bark, :lol:) right on top of it.

Add a removable tube trap in each corner again wrapped in a fabric that matches your room. That will really tighten up the bass response.

The get a couple of diffusers  from Dave Elledge (PI Audio). You can paint them to match your walls too so long as it is a water based paint. Or you can put a grill cloth over them. Anyway, stand those things up in front of that TV while not watching TV. It will look better than the TV and do away with a huge reflective surface. Your imaging will greatly improve from that. Then when you want to watch TV set the diffusers on the floor in front of the cabinet.

ebag4

« Reply #19 on: 27 Dec 2011, 05:02 am »
You should take a look at the GIK Art Panels

Bryan Pape who is a regular on this site can give you more info.  Here is a link to the site:
http://gikacoustics.com/gik_artpanel.html

Best,
Ed