Anyone Going To T.H.E. Show?

ajzepp

Re: Anyone Going To T.H.E. Show?
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jan 2012, 08:11 pm »
www.twitter.com/fezmid

I gave him a guilt trip last night...lol

He's never heard any Maggies before, and he is from Minnesota, so this should be a pretty cool experience for him!  :thumb:

EDIT: He's reporting it's just a pair of MMGs...nothign new?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #21 on: 13 Jan 2012, 10:14 pm »
That seems a little odd - I wonder what Wendell's doing? 

josh358

« Reply #22 on: 15 Jan 2012, 10:25 pm »
Here's a show report, he was showing the MMG's with the tri center!

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/ces2012/ces2012_magnepan.htm

Rclark

« Reply #23 on: 15 Jan 2012, 10:35 pm »
I wonder if I could get a center channel modded too and have 2.0 with center channel.

ajzepp

« Reply #24 on: 15 Jan 2012, 10:52 pm »
So $600 for a pair of mains and then $5K for the center??  :o

Can anyone explain how this would be wired up? I have no idea.

josh358

« Reply #25 on: 15 Jan 2012, 11:29 pm »
Actually, it makes more sense than you might think at first thought, since in a three-channel system the center speaker is the most important one. But you can use more expensive mains -- their web page shows a system with the tri-center and 20.1's. They've been using a Bryston processor to handle the center channel speakers. If you go their web page, they've added information under "Tri Center" including links to some informative write-ups, and Wendell Diller at Magnepan has been helping people with setup.

ajzepp

« Reply #26 on: 15 Jan 2012, 11:34 pm »
Thanks Josh, I'll definitely check out the home page then. As much as I love Magnepan, and I would love that CCR to mate with my 3.6s, I just can't justify spending almost as much for a center as I spent for my mains lol. I'm sure it sounds ridiculously good with 20s, though!

BTW, my friend is reporting that he was not sure where all the bass was coming from. That is an odd thing to hear given that the MMGs and CCR were in play. Does anyone know if they had a bass module fired up? I know the MMGs and MMG on walls only go down to around 50hz or so, so not sure what he was hearing. But he said it almost sounded like a subwoofer, and he has an SVS so I know he has heard good bass. Anyone?

josh358

« Reply #27 on: 15 Jan 2012, 11:51 pm »
Maybe he had the woofer stand on the CCR? They don't say in the article and I can't see through the scrim in their photo. Also, fundamentals below 50 Hz aren't all that common. Even instruments that go lower don't play down there most of the time. And the DWM would lower the range to 40 Hz or so, which covers almost everything.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #28 on: 16 Jan 2012, 01:56 am »
Any sort of low synthesizer notes will be beyond the capabilities of a DMW.
"Almost like a subwoofer" sounds like two DMWs were being used which would bring it up to 7 speakers and $7000 all told or $5600 w/o any DMWs.
You'd have to factor in the cost of the electronics as well, of course.

Same price as the 3.7s; from the reviews it sounds as if a bunch of the little guys achieve better results than just two of the larger models.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #29 on: 16 Jan 2012, 02:59 am »
The MMG's were with Maggie woofers.  The point of the demo was this: Magnepan is trying to figure out how to show and sell all their models since most dealers can only handle 2 or 3.  Not many carry the MMG's or center channel (for example).  So they are embarking on a no-risk 30 day return policy for these kinds of products.  However, unlike many mfg'ers who tend to do this as a direct sort of thing (destroying their dealer networks in the process) Magnepan will only act as shipper and will give the nearest dealer the credit for the sale (should the customer keep it).  As long as their returns are somewhere less than 5% they will try to accommodate the program to as many models as they can.  Not sure the exact models they are starting with.

Demo sounded very good btw.

josh358

« Reply #30 on: 16 Jan 2012, 03:19 am »
So far, Mini Maggies and MMC-2.

ajzepp

« Reply #31 on: 16 Jan 2012, 06:03 am »
I wonder how close the sound would get if you used the MMGs for mains, MC1's instead of MC2s, and a CC5 instead of the CCR. That would lower the cost substantially.  Personally, I have no interest in giving up my stereo preamp for music, so I guess this configuration wouldn't be feasible for me anyway.

josh358

« Reply #32 on: 16 Jan 2012, 06:17 pm »
I wonder how close the sound would get if you used the MMGs for mains, MC1's instead of MC2s, and a CC5 instead of the CCR. That would lower the cost substantially.  Personally, I have no interest in giving up my stereo preamp for music, so I guess this configuration wouldn't be feasible for me anyway.

Nope, you need processing.

You could ask Wendell about the substitutions, I'm not sure what he's tried.