Oppo BDP-93 or 95 as a DAC

BrianAbington

Oppo BDP-93 or 95 as a DAC
« on: 14 Dec 2011, 06:18 am »
I have read nothing but good things about the DAC's in the new OPPO players. Especially the analog outputs in the Nuforce modified unit.

Considering that both of these players have ethernet and USB inputs. Would these make a good DAC for a mac mini server based system?

I consider this as an option because you can get an amazing bluray player and skip the extra cost of an external DAC. (In theory at least)

srb

Re: Oppo BDP-93 or 95 as a DAC
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2011, 06:32 am »
My understanding is that the USB input on the Oppo players can be used for playback of files on directly connected USB thumb drives, USB hard drives or USB SSDs, but would not act as a USB DAC from a computer's USB port.

Steve

Claude

« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2011, 10:38 am »
No DAC function for external sources indeed.

The Oppos are good players for media file playback (USB/eSata or DLNA), but they have a big flaw: the lack of gapless playback.

BrianAbington

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2011, 11:17 pm »
I wish there was a way to do this. The oppo specs out so nicely that it would be great to use it that way.

roscoeiii

« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2011, 11:33 pm »
At one point Modwright was toying with the idea of a mod that would allow the Oppo to be used as a DAC. Not sure what became of that possibility...

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2011, 12:15 am »
I like the Oppo 93 especially as a single source for so many formats.

What is "gapless playback"?

And I can't find how useful in audiophile terms the volume control is (always thinking of a very minimal system).

TIA guys

Bear

« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2011, 12:40 am »
I wish there was a way to do this. The oppo specs out so nicely that it would be great to use it that way.

I agree....Nuforce?......Modgright?  Oppo?  Anyone?

Bear

« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2011, 10:50 pm »
Can someone explain why this is not possible or feasible?

abernardi

« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2011, 11:26 pm »
I was very hot on this idea about half a year ago and found a very long thread on AVS about using the 83SE and DLNA.  It is possible, but limited, buggy and not supported by Oppo.  The thread has incorporated the 93 and 95 since they came out.  Some guys are claiming that they found a way to "push" content to the Oppo which is ideal because otherwise you have to use the Oppo player as your controller and it's not real user friendly.  As a dvd/blu-ray player they are both giant killers, best value out there.

I assume you know the 95 is the way to go if you want superior sound quality for stereo and multi-channel.  It has a dedicated stereo analog output that has been blowing people away.  You can get the 93 modded but there's debate as too which gives a better sound.  Was it TAS that wrote up on this?  I think their conclusion was that both were excellent, but different.  The Nuforce gave the 93 a more modern/detailed sound and the 95 a more natural sound.  But don't take that as fact, I read the article a long time ago and can't quite remember.  I was going to go with the 95 until I decided to stick to stereo for now.  So I went with the SB Touch and an outboard DAC.  Very happy about it too.

Bear

« Reply #9 on: 18 Dec 2011, 01:46 am »
yeah, the DLNA thing is not very user friendly.  I have a stock 83 and have fiddled with it and got it to work but overall not useful.  I will definately check out the AVS thread as "pushing" would be interesting.  Although I wonder how the sound quality is using DLNA.  I do wish there was a way to hook it to a mac mini and then use an ipad/touch as a remote....this would be ideal to me.

thanks for the response

BrianAbington

« Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2011, 05:48 am »
even if it had to connect by ethernet through your router I'd be okay with that.

abernardi

« Reply #11 on: 18 Dec 2011, 07:59 am »
I think I remember reading that it was limited to 44/16, but still sounded good