asynchronous USB

budt

Re: asynchronous USB
« Reply #20 on: 15 Dec 2011, 08:36 am »
24/192 is not limited by the computer's USB port (at least not with asynchronous USB proprietary code), but may be by a DAC's USB receiver.  The Meitner MA-1 and the Resonessence Invicta both have asynchronous USB interfaces.

The Meitner supports 24/192 over USB and the Invicta, although originally limited to 24/96 by it's programmable Cypress USB transceiver, was supposed to have a software patch to increase that to 24/192.

As mentioned previously, the Bryston DAC's USB input is limited to 16/48.

Steve

Crap !!!! I just ordered the Bryston. I forgot about the limitation of the Bryston over USB . I set up my server with the recommended USB card from the C.A.P.S 2.0 as in computeraudiophile( $340 just for the card).
  Well, a friend of mine also ordered the BDP_1 so I will at least try that out but I really don't feel like buying another server/player.  I'll also try the optical out of my server and see how that goes.....
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2011, 10:50 am by budt »

HooStat

« Reply #21 on: 17 Dec 2011, 07:26 am »
I just have a problem with the BDP, I guess.  It seems like a lot of work, and quite frankly, expense, in a house that is fully networked.  I just don't appreciate the product enough to get one, I guess.  The sp3, on the other hand, seems like the best pre-pro out there by far.  Two things I would change would be to add video scaling and asynchronous USB.  The former is never going to happen (and is rather easy nowadays), and the latter seems so close that I wish Bryston would have taken care of it.  However, given how long in development the sp3 was, I can understand that they couldn't add everything.  Plus, it does have a decent USB input already.  I mean, not many pre-pros even have a USB input.

Having said all that, there is a USB to AES/EBU converter for $450 through Auraliti.  That might be a solid way to connect something like a mac mini to the sp3 and "have it all".  At least until the sp3 gets upgraded.

There are other Bryston and non-Bryston solutions as well.  But the sp3 seems like such a well designed piece from an audio perspective, one should be able to dispense with lots of other gear and just use one box.  I am strongly leaning toward getting one and testing it out.

I think I am starting to get this.  Two things that I did not realize.  First, there is an entire other discussion board on here for the BDP.  Second, the drive connected to the BDP will show up on the network (is this correct?).  If so, then synchronizing the BDP-connected drive with another drive/computer on the network should not be a big deal.  There is also the advantage of having one as the backup of the other as well.

So, it looks like the BDP with the SP3 is the "dead simple" way to go.

JfTM

« Reply #22 on: 17 Dec 2011, 12:00 pm »
Yes, you can see the BDP-1 on your network and the drives attached to it.

dan92075

« Reply #23 on: 27 Jul 2012, 11:21 pm »

Adding Async USB is almost a must in this day and age - everyone is running out and getting an Async DAC so this will definitely be a welcome feature.

In the process of adding Async USB,  might I recommend that an I2S input be added as well?

That seems like a simple thing to add to the SP3,   and would be useful in future proofing the SP3 since this year we are seeing a lot of music servers coming out that have this interface.