OK, this is probably really dumb, but...

Bizarroterl

Re: OK, this is probably really dumb, but...
« Reply #40 on: 15 Dec 2011, 04:09 pm »
It pains me to read about women like this.  :duh:

My girlfriend (of 6.5 years) has always been cool with regards to my audio obsession.  She respects my passion and has grown to appreciate the higher quality sound we enjoy around our home. 

Had she not been so cool about this when we were first dating that would've been a total deal breaker.

Yeah, she's a PITA.  When I told her I wanted to buy a pair of LS6 cabinets from AV123 she said ok. 
Then I told her I wanted to buy the speaker kit and she said ok.
I used to own a old Toyota Celica.  I complained that it was getting old and what I'd really like is a Mazda RX7 (93).  She said why don't you just buy one?
When the TV started going out in the family room I was planning on limping along for as long as I could.  She said I should just go out and buy a new one.  When I picked out a top of the line plasma her comment was "When can we get it?".

Yeah, she really is a PITA.

To be happily married you must be willing to compromise.  When she decides that she wants something a certain way I have 2 paths.  Fight it and be unhappy or go with it and be happy.  When I make her happy, she makes me happy.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #41 on: 15 Dec 2011, 04:36 pm »
Have you considered building a matching upper unit with end/back panels that come down the left, right and rear of the TV and sit on top of the lower cab? You could build a fixed shelf into the bottom of the upper unit (just above the TV) to hold the speakers and add some removable color matched grilles to conceal them. Above the speakers would be a set of glass panel doors. To make the most out of the tough placement, you'd want to leave all 4 sides around the speaker "cubbie" open. (no solid panels) Some nice crown would finish it off nicely! :thumb:

Ruben
Ok, you won't consider getting a new TV, now you tell us that you won't consider getting a new wife!! I thought you wanted some help here!? :D

It seems to me that the best sound quality you can get here is to take Ruben's advice and build an upper unit to hold L/C/R speakers of choice.   Any local cabinet shop could do it, or you could do it yourself if you have the time.  It would raise the TV about 15" higher, but that should be a minor issue.  This isn't the quick/easy fix that you probably had hoped for, but is your best shot a decent quality considering the limitations you have to contend with.

Bizarroterl

« Reply #42 on: 15 Dec 2011, 05:23 pm »
LOL!

OK, here's what I'm going to do.  I'll order a pair of N3S from Danny.  Initially I'll install them behind the TV pointing out to the sides.  If/when that doesn't improve the sound acceptably then I'll build another as a center and place it in the lower cabinet upper drawer opening.

If that doesn't make it I'll then look at adding an upper cabinet - No, that'll never happen.  If I'm going to build an upper I'll end up building a complete new upper/lower combination.  The lower cabinet was bought from some store and matching it will never be perfect and I'll obsess.  So if the behind TV/center doesn't work then a total new cabinet will be done.

If I need to do the upper/lower cabinets that'll be a while away.  The reason I don't want to get to carried away is that I have a big project coming up - a full kitchen/living room (HT) remodel.  I'm really starting to put some pressure on myself to do this as I have 2 LS6 cabinets plus the speaker kit waiting for that remodel to be done.  The cabinets/speakers have been sitting for over a year now and it's time.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #43 on: 15 Dec 2011, 05:57 pm »
Sounds like a plan.  Good luck, and let us know how it sounds.

Scott

HT cOz

« Reply #44 on: 16 Dec 2011, 01:24 am »
93 RX7 sweet!   :thumb:

signatureaudiolabs

« Reply #45 on: 16 Dec 2011, 01:41 am »
I know you said you found a solution but,we had a similar problem with one of our customers.
He had no room, no space, and  his wife wanted the speakers to be hidden.
What we did was build a custom speaker bar.
We used the tang-band 3" full range drivers, very similar to the ones that Danny suggested.
It really sounds great, the customer was so impressed that he had us do a second one for his other entertainment system. I have pictures around here somewhere.

signatureaudiolabs

« Reply #46 on: 16 Dec 2011, 01:48 am »
Ok I found the pictures

We had to mount the TV on an articulating mount so the couple could play Wii.

You can see the custom speaker bar on top of the TV.

But even as good as those speakers sound you will be much happier if you get a kit from Danny.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #47 on: 16 Dec 2011, 02:21 am »
Yeah, she's a PITA.  When I told her I wanted to buy a pair of LS6 cabinets from AV123 she said ok. 
Then I told her I wanted to buy the speaker kit and she said ok.
I used to own a old Toyota Celica.  I complained that it was getting old and what I'd really like is a Mazda RX7 (93).  She said why don't you just buy one?
When the TV started going out in the family room I was planning on limping along for as long as I could.  She said I should just go out and buy a new one.  When I picked out a top of the line plasma her comment was "When can we get it?".

Yeah, she really is a PITA.

To be happily married you must be willing to compromise.  When she decides that she wants something a certain way I have 2 paths.  Fight it and be unhappy or go with it and be happy.  When I make her happy, she makes me happy.

I do understand compromising.  Based on all that she sounds cool.  So where are the LS6s?

Bizarroterl

« Reply #48 on: 16 Dec 2011, 04:00 pm »
The 93 Rx7 is awesome.  When I'm asked what it's like to drive I say it's an exercise in restraint.   :D

The custom speaker bar is one of the options I considered.  I tossed around the idea of one for the top, or one on each side, or one across the bottom.  What I really wanted is some of Danny's speakers - I ordered a pair of the N3S yesterday.

The LS6s are stacked on our back patio.  They're not assembled yet and it's starting to bug the he!! out of me.  I really want to set those bad boys up.  The place I'll be putting them (livingroom/HT) is far from optimal.  There was a remodel planned in the past where I'd get a full sized HT but when we got bids yeow!  Construction here is really, really expensive (or maybe we're too poor).  A 500ft tear down and 800ft rebuild (HT & kitchen) came out to about $280K.  That's with me doing all the interior finish work.  We have the money, but just and it doesn't make sense to blow all your savings.

The remodel we'll be doing this spring is much smaller in scope and the HT will be much as it is now.  I'll definitely asking for help here and in the acoustics circle. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #49 on: 16 Dec 2011, 04:09 pm »
A 500ft tear down and 800ft rebuild (HT & kitchen) came out to about $280K.

Wow, around here you can buy a nice 3,000 to 4,000 sq ft. house for that.

Bizarroterl

« Reply #50 on: 16 Dec 2011, 04:18 pm »
And that doesn't get you great quality.  It seems most of the GC/tradespeople have one thing on their mind - do the job as fast as they can, get paid, and move on to the next one.  There are a select few that treat each job as if it were their own home, but they're few and far between.  I guess it's just a side effect of our society, where money seems to be more important than anything else.  :(

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #51 on: 16 Dec 2011, 05:20 pm »
The 93 Rx7 is awesome.  When I'm asked what it's like to drive I say it's an exercise in restraint.   :D

Heh, a buddy of mine in the Marines had one of those.  Your description of driving it is exactly how I remember it.  :green:  Very fun to drive but could easily get you a ticket if you weren't careful.

HT cOz

« Reply #52 on: 16 Dec 2011, 06:04 pm »
 There was a remodel planned in the past where I'd get a full sized HT but when we got bids yeow!  Construction here is really, really expensive (or maybe we're too poor).  A 500ft tear down and 800ft rebuild (HT & kitchen) came out to about $280K.  That's with me doing all the interior finish work.  We have the money, but just and it doesn't make sense to blow all your savings.

Holy cow that is nuts!!! Here is my friend and my home builders work.  One of these is mine :D  add a w -> ww.horace-homes.com/Horace_Homes/Home.html  Thats half a house (not counting land) here in inner loop Houston..... 

dvenardos

« Reply #53 on: 17 Dec 2011, 09:44 pm »
My 1000 ft^2 house cost more than that.  :icon_lol:

Wow, around here you can buy a nice 3,000 to 4,000 sq ft. house for that.

WC

« Reply #54 on: 17 Dec 2011, 11:04 pm »
My 1000 ft^2 house cost more than that.  :icon_lol:

All depends on location. LA is not known for reasonable housing. Right, Dave?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #55 on: 17 Dec 2011, 11:08 pm »
All depends on location. LA is not known for reasonable housing. Right, Dave?
No doubt!  I sold my last house in NNJ and it was knocked down. 

Bizarroterl

« Reply #56 on: 18 Dec 2011, 05:20 pm »
Those are referred to here as scrapers.  High value area and a small house.  It goes up for sale and you know what will happen once it's sold.