OK, this is probably really dumb, but...

Bizarroterl

Re: OK, this is probably really dumb, but...
« Reply #20 on: 13 Dec 2011, 04:55 pm »
A/V-O's need to be at least 3 feet out from any wall.

I wonder if you pulled out that top drawer if there would be enough space there for an A/V-3S?

That eliminates the A/V-Os.  I'll measure the drawer tonight to see if it's big enough.

Bizarroterl

« Reply #21 on: 13 Dec 2011, 04:58 pm »
I'm assuming that's glass in the doors of your cabinet?

How about removing the glass, replacing it with acoustically-transparent fabric, and place a small bookshelf speaker in the bottom of each side of your cabinet? Of course, that sweet clock will need to be relocated, and the pets will need to move.

Or, remove that bottom center drawer and do the same thing. Or remove both the top and bottom drawer and do the same thing (but with a larger speaker).

The glass doors will have to stay.  There's a line filter behind the clock on the left (DTV above that) and on the right there is a HTPC (soon to be replaced with one slightly larger), a Tivo (out for repair), and a receiver (Marantz 1402 to be bought).

I'll look into the drawer sizes tonight and maybe I can use that area for a speaker(s).

srb

« Reply #22 on: 13 Dec 2011, 06:59 pm »
A thought on your original idea of the GR A/V-1RS.  What if they were behind the TV with the top baffle even with the top of the TV, and a mantle/shelf in matching width to the cabinet was mounted 16" (or whatever Danny might recommend) above the speakers.

It could be a clean look with selected nick-nacks and no visible speakers.  I still don't know how good the sound might be, but if the shelf maximized reflected sound ..... ?

Steve

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #23 on: 13 Dec 2011, 07:34 pm »
Have you considered building a matching upper unit with end/back panels that come down the left, right and rear of the TV and sit on top of the lower cab? You could build a fixed shelf into the bottom of the upper unit (just above the TV) to hold the speakers and add some removable color matched grilles to conceal them. Above the speakers would be a set of glass panel doors. To make the most out of the tough placement, you'd want to leave all 4 sides around the speaker "cubbie" open. (no solid panels) Some nice crown would finish it off nicely! :thumb:

Good Luck!

Ruben

Cheeseboy

« Reply #24 on: 13 Dec 2011, 08:44 pm »
Ruben,

That is a great solution!

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #25 on: 13 Dec 2011, 08:53 pm »
Actually I think Tyson made a great suggestion with the little gallo speakers.  Last time I heard them they were a definite step up over B***.

Danny Richie

« Reply #26 on: 13 Dec 2011, 09:09 pm »
Actually I think Tyson made a great suggestion with the little gallo speakers.  Last time I heard them they were a definite step up over B***.

That's true, but also for a fraction of the price there are better full range drivers out there too.

I have a bunch of these left in stock: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-819

They are one of the better sounding full range drivers that I have tested. I have a bunch of them left over from a project that never came to be and I can sell them for $10 each.

Bizarroterl

« Reply #27 on: 13 Dec 2011, 11:23 pm »
I tossed around the idea of using a bunch of 2/3/4" cheap drivers in a 2.5' line array before I initially posted.    It would be a fun project, but with all the other projects I have I would like to avoid getting too carried away with this. 

My 1st preference is to use something Danny sells.  With his reputation I know I'll get something that sounds great.    I suspect I'll be able to fit a pair of A/V-3S if I pull both the drawers, but won't know until I get home.

I really appreciate all the suggestions I've gotten.   :thumb:

corndog71

« Reply #28 on: 14 Dec 2011, 02:12 am »
That's true, but also for a fraction of the price there are better full range drivers out there too.

I have a bunch of these left in stock: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-819

They are one of the better sounding full range drivers that I have tested. I have a bunch of them left over from a project that never came to be and I can sell them for $10 each.

Fascinating.  So all they need is a small box and no crossover?

Danny Richie

« Reply #29 on: 14 Dec 2011, 02:32 am »
Fascinating.  So all they need is a small box and no crossover?

Yes. Now if I can just find that box of them. I know I put them somewhere...

Jim Griffin

« Reply #30 on: 14 Dec 2011, 11:27 am »
Paul Carmody started a design thread on the Parts Express Tech Talk forum which might bear consideration.  Paul's design is for slim wall mounted WMTMW speakers on each side of a flat screen.  While Paul's design is perhaps a bit too wide for the available space in Bizarroterl's world, you could scale the size down via the use of 2" drivers for the M's in the internal MTM configuration and use 3" drivers for the W's.  That would reduce both the wide and depth of the boxes.  See this thread:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?t=226211&highlight=paul+carmody

Bizarroterl

« Reply #31 on: 14 Dec 2011, 07:00 pm »
WAF factor says I can use the top drawer, but not the bottom.  The top is large enough for a slightly modified A/V-3S.  It is 6.75"h x 17.5"w x 19"d.  Unfortunately the receiver doesn't support a center only setup.  :nono:   It requires LF/RF minimum.

I'm thinking about placing the TV on a 4" stand.  The stand could hold one or more 3" drivers for the center and flank that with a Left/Right boxes with the same drivers.  Behind the TV I could then place a subwoofer (M165X in a 1.2cuft box, facing up).

Another thought would be to place some small (3") drivers on top of the TV.  Being as it is a flat panel I have about 1/2" "lip" which very gradually tapers to an 1" or so - definitely not conducive to attaching speakers.

HT cOz

« Reply #32 on: 14 Dec 2011, 10:26 pm »
So the area above the tv near the ceiling is not available for inwalls?  Maybe if you had a center you could do L & R using AV1-RS in that space above the TV?

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #33 on: 15 Dec 2011, 12:29 am »
I know the speakers in the TV are not that great, but how about sending the L/R front signals to the TV speakers (turn off any sound configuration on the TV, just straight input -> output?) and install the center in the drawer (I think you could get a N3S in there too if you wanted to use the neo-3 tweeter).

Alternately, and I don't know how it would sound, but maybe if there is enough room behind the TV, put a pair of bookshelves (N1/N1X?) behind the TV facing out to the left and right, with the center in the shelf area?  You would be working with the reflected sound off of the L/R bookshelves, but maybe better (and definitely a better timbre match) than using the TV speakers?

Bizarroterl

« Reply #34 on: 15 Dec 2011, 12:45 am »
Since I'm trying to get away from the TV speakers using them for part of the signal is a no go.

I've thought about a couple bookshelves behind the tv pointing out.  There isn't a lot of room to tweak them towards the front, they would pretty much have to be pointing straight out.  I have an old 2.1 system I'm using in the workshop that I'm thinking of pulling the L/R to get an idea of how it would sound with the speakers pointing that way.  If it isn't too awful (those speakers suck) then I may commit to a center (A/V-3S) and 2 bookshelves (A/V-2).

I'm assuming I can tweak the dimensions a bit on these as long as I keep the same internal volume.  Danny, speak up if I'm wrong.  Thx

Bizarroterl

« Reply #35 on: 15 Dec 2011, 12:48 am »
So the area above the tv near the ceiling is not available for inwalls?  Maybe if you had a center you could do L & R using AV1-RS in that space above the TV?

I've been going back & forth with the wife about that.  She just doesn't want speakers mounted on/in the wall above the TV.  That's why my 1st post proposed mounting the RSs behind the TV pointing up.  Unfortunately that would put them about twice the recommended distance from the ceiling which apparently is a bad thing.

HT cOz

« Reply #36 on: 15 Dec 2011, 12:53 am »
Ah totally understandable. My wife feels the same way about what she likes or dislikes. Defiantly no point in arguing either.
Although she blessed me with my own small room which works for me :D

corndog71

« Reply #37 on: 15 Dec 2011, 01:04 am »
It pains me to read about women like this.  :duh:

My girlfriend (of 6.5 years) has always been cool with regards to my audio obsession.  She respects my passion and has grown to appreciate the higher quality sound we enjoy around our home. 

Had she not been so cool about this when we were first dating that would've been a total deal breaker.

dvenardos

« Reply #38 on: 15 Dec 2011, 06:22 am »
If you want to get decent sound and make the wife happy, then you really need to go with a custom tv stand and build it for sealed l/c/r of your choice. It is the only way...

brother love

« Reply #39 on: 15 Dec 2011, 01:43 pm »
Anyway posssible that you, or your wife more importantly, can bend & little & not be so rigid then Danny's speakers are the superior option.

If not the Paradigm Cinema series speakers are wall-mounted & could be a possible option:

http://www.paradigm.com/index.php?option=com_mtree&task=viewlink&link_id=247&Itemid=2