OK, this is probably really dumb, but...

Bizarroterl

OK, this is probably really dumb, but...
« on: 11 Dec 2011, 06:31 pm »
In our family room we used to have a rear projection DLP TV.  It had built in speakers that sounded like junk, but were acceptable for that room (real listening/movies are in the HT).  Last month it started to go bad so I got rid of it and replaced it with a 60" plasma.  The picture is awesome, but the sound is reminiscent of 2 cats fighting in a tin can.  Because of the great picture, we're now watching a lot more than we used to in that room.

The problem I have is that there's virtually no room for a speaker and to top that off the wife wants to keep a really clean (no speaker) look.  I cannot locate speakers elsewhere (Custom travertine on concrete floor, ceiling has floor joists that block running wires, no room to either side of the plasma, etc.

Basically I have room behind the TV - approximately 60" wide and 8"thick.  Height can be up to 20".  Note that I'm not going for SOTA sound here. 

I started thinking about the A/V-1RS and maybe putting a pair of those in the allowed space.  I know that they're recommended to be placed 16" from the ceiling and this would have them at 34".  Would that have a big impact and if so, what would that be?

I also thought that as I have almost 5' of space I could build them in one long cabinet and put 4 of the M165X or M130X between to act as a sub.  Essentially 1RS/sub/1RS built into one cabinet.

The amp I plan on buying is a Marantz NR1402 (Audyssey Dynamic EQ, Audyssey MultEQ).  The room is 13'w x 16'l x 8'h with the TV/speaker centered on the 13'wall.  The room is somewhat "bright" with a couch, loveseat, bookshelf, and a rug over about 1/2 of the floor.

Thoughts?

srb

Re: OK, this is probably really dumb, but...
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2011, 06:50 pm »
Because you are relying 100% on reflected sound I think that having the tweeters more than twice the optimum distance from the ceiling might result in dialogue being hard to understand with a lot of "what did he/she say"?

I could be wrong of course, but I can't help but think you could end up with a sound reminiscent of two mountain lions fighting in a padded duffle bag.  Is a soundbar underneath the TV out of the question?

Steve

HT cOz

« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2011, 07:11 pm »
Danny will know for sure. One thing to keep in mind is that you are not going for perfection in this space and even given your non-perfect constraints I think you would still own 99% of the regular population with what you have put together for this room. Now think how do you get some of those 8" servo subs built into those walls.  Hahahahaha.

HT cOz

« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2011, 07:13 pm »
Hey doesn't Parts Express have some in wall DIY enclosures?  Something like this? ww.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=302-520  You would still need to build a box behind the in wall kit but this would get you 80% of where you need to be.

The great thing about the AV1-RS is that even not mounted perfectly in line with the ceiling it does have a good baffle step network for being in wall.  Maybe not perfect, again Danny will know for sure.  That dome tweeter is also killer for this app because it has excellent vertical response.  :thumb:

I think you have an interesting project.

Bizarroterl

« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2011, 07:20 pm »
The TV is on a stand that gives me about 1 3/4" of space below.  I thought about a soundbar but the problem I found was that to use one I would need to mount the TV to the wall to get it up high enough and in doing so I lose any room I have for larger speakers for low frequencies.  There's no room for a sub enclosure with the TV mounted to the wall.

The cabinet the TV is on has a custom cut piece of granite on it.  What we paid for that rock means the cabinet stays.    The cabinet consists of 2 drawers in the middle and doors on each end.  With a HTPC, DirecTV receiver, Tivo, and now a receiver for the speakers it's just about full.

HT cOz

« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2011, 07:26 pm »
We need a picture!!!  :thumb:

Bizarroterl

« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2011, 07:30 pm »
PartsExpress has some in wall speakers they sell, I didn't find any kits.  My space constraints leaves me with only the wall above the TV available, and WAF makes that unusable.  There is no room to each side of the TV (well, actually there's about 4" to each side).

I could buy a couple bookshelf speakers and place then pointing pretty much directly out the side from behind the TV (90deg to the face of the TV).

Picture coming...

CSI

« Reply #7 on: 11 Dec 2011, 07:30 pm »
Do you have room directly to the sides of the plasma? If so, check out Artison speakers. They attach to the sides of the display (like a sound bar does to the bottom) and actually look like you just have a somewhat wider TV once the grilles are in place. They also sound good (company is owned by Cary Christie - cofounder of Infinity). They also have in wall subs.

Bizarroterl

« Reply #8 on: 11 Dec 2011, 07:33 pm »

The wall to each side of the plasma is double/triple studded, so there really is no room for inwalls to the sides.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #9 on: 13 Dec 2011, 02:04 am »
Should've gotten a smaller tv.

...or pick a different wall.

...or move to a bigger place.

...or suck it up. :P

xr2

« Reply #10 on: 13 Dec 2011, 02:15 am »
Can you mount the TV on the wall so that it's a little higher up, and then use short bookshelves on current tv stand?

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 13 Dec 2011, 02:45 am »
I'd mount that TV on the wall with a wall mount kit and put it just above the chair rail.

Then you can have room for a real center channel speaker to carry the load.

If there is no room for something like an A/V-1RS to handle left and right main signals then maybe a small full range 4" or 3" driver in a small ported enclosure and mounted high up on the wall will give you the sense of a bigger room.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #12 on: 13 Dec 2011, 03:18 am »
This might really work for you.  They are only about 5" wide, and sound surprisingly good, especially vocals.
I think they would fit to either side.. barely.  Read up on  the Zigmahornet.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #13 on: 13 Dec 2011, 03:54 am »
The little Gallo speakers sound pretty good and would fit.

Bizarroterl

« Reply #14 on: 13 Dec 2011, 05:17 am »
Turns out there isn't even enough room on the sides for a 4" wide speaker to face forward.

And I'm not sending the TV back.  :)

I tried for having the TV wall mounted but that would end up with it too high up.

I'm looking seriously at the A/V-O but in approximately a 7"w x 10.5"d x 18" tall.  That would fit behind the TV with the tweeter facing out to the sides.  Comments?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #15 on: 13 Dec 2011, 05:34 am »
  Is a soundbar underneath the TV out of the question?

Steve
Without room to either side, your options are so limited that I agree with the soundbar idea.  I'm sure that it isn't a better option, or you would have mentioned it, but what's the opposite wall look like?

Danny Richie

« Reply #16 on: 13 Dec 2011, 05:44 am »
A/V-O's need to be at least 3 feet out from any wall.

I wonder if you pulled out that top drawer if there would be enough space there for an A/V-3S?

nrenter

« Reply #17 on: 13 Dec 2011, 02:49 pm »
I'm assuming that's glass in the doors of your cabinet?

How about removing the glass, replacing it with acoustically-transparent fabric, and place a small bookshelf speaker in the bottom of each side of your cabinet? Of course, that sweet clock will need to be relocated, and the pets will need to move.

Or, remove that bottom center drawer and do the same thing. Or remove both the top and bottom drawer and do the same thing (but with a larger speaker).

ebag4

« Reply #18 on: 13 Dec 2011, 03:11 pm »
edit

Bizarroterl

« Reply #19 on: 13 Dec 2011, 04:53 pm »
Without room to either side, your options are so limited that I agree with the soundbar idea.  I'm sure that it isn't a better option, or you would have mentioned it, but what's the opposite wall look like?

The opposite wall has a window/couch.  There's no way to run wires to it unless I cut up the custom travertine floor or pull most of the ceiling down (joists run parallel to the TV wall).