OB/7 Center Channel (LS-C pics)

persisting1

Re: OB/7 Center Channel (LS-C pics)
« Reply #20 on: 17 Dec 2011, 10:14 pm »
I'm a fan of fast builds.  Keep us updated  :thumb:

Nick77

« Reply #21 on: 19 Dec 2011, 12:38 pm »
I got my first positive comment from my wife concerning the project when i showed her the network; "Ooo pretty colors".  :lol:

Nick77

« Reply #22 on: 20 Dec 2011, 11:47 am »
Got it all hooked up last night for a quick listen, Reben pretty much summed it up when he said "if it is in the movie, you will hear it". I was able to listen at much lower volume and hear all dialog crystal clear. The detail is amazing, have to give it a little break in time and see how it opens up.

« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2012, 10:30 pm by Nick77 »

skeeter99

« Reply #23 on: 20 Dec 2011, 06:34 pm »
Dear lordy that thing is just huge! Nicely done!!

Nick77

« Reply #24 on: 20 Dec 2011, 09:19 pm »
Dear lordy that thing is just huge! Nicely done!!

Skeet, whats happening. I was looking at the N3s or X-Voce to tide me over but a little extra Christmas cash allowed me to take the plundge. One thing is certain, i dont miss the Ref100.

Your right it is big and wont reside full time till my game room is built next year. I need to make a base to rest upon now.

I had the wife give a listen last night and she first did a double take because of the clairty and articulation and when i told her it was the only thing playing she said "thats all we need". It certainly is a one man show, ive been running music thru it all day with no desire to add mains.  :thumb:

skeeter99

« Reply #25 on: 20 Dec 2011, 10:48 pm »
Skeet, whats happening. I was looking at the N3s or X-Voce to tide me over but a little extra Christmas cash allowed me to take the plundge. One thing is certain, i dont miss the Ref100.

Your right it is big and wont reside full time till my game room is built next year. I need to make a base to rest upon now.

I had the wife give a listen last night and she first did a double take because of the clairty and articulation and when i told her it was the only thing playing she said "thats all we need". It certainly is a one man show, ive been running music thru it all day with no desire to add mains.  :thumb:

Dude that's awesome! Especially with such great WAF approval on a huge center thats cool. I really want to build a theater when we buy our next house. Just gotta get out from underneath our rental property first. Danny's stuff is at the TOP of my list for when I build it and I love the look of a HUGE center. The X-Voce was big and a great center, I can only image how great this thing is!! I image this is just a wee bit better than the REF100 ;)

Scott

gijogeo

« Reply #26 on: 23 Dec 2011, 01:56 pm »
That's a great LS-C build there Nick. Got hooked on to the idea of assembling one for myself ever since I saw the first pictures put up by Ruben. But was on the fence for sometime now. Having seen your build I'm like really inspired and not looking back. Convinced myself that it's a bare necessity that I couldn't do without and ordered the kit from Danny. :thumb:

Nick77

« Reply #27 on: 23 Dec 2011, 02:33 pm »
That's a great LS-C build there Nick. Got hooked on to the idea of assembling one for myself ever since I saw the first pictures put up by Ruben. But was on the fence for sometime now. Having seen your build I'm like really inspired and not looking back. Convinced myself that it's a bare necessity that I couldn't do without and ordered the kit from Danny. :thumb:

Thats awesome, congrats!  Ive been listening to some music but just rented a couple of movies, biggest impression so far is off axis response and the bass output. I have the Warrior and Cars2 on tap, i will report back on results and some build tips.

Chops

« Reply #28 on: 25 Dec 2011, 07:19 pm »
I'm wondering why Danny hasn't designed a center channel to match the OB/7, meaning keeping the MTM section of the LS-C open baffle such as that of the OB/7 or the X-Voce to the X-Statik for that matter.

There's no doubt that the LS-C is a great looking and sounding center channel as is and that it provides better detail than an X-Voce with the better crossover components and Neo tweeters, but there's no way it can be an exact timber match to the OB/7 in the midrange. Using the same drivers in two totally different enclosure types (either closed or ported vs open baffle) is going to make the entire midrange sound different. I can't help but imagine there being some kind of timber shift or something going on when combining the LS-C with the OB/7's, making one stand out over the other.

For instance, I was just listening to Rosemary Clooney singing "Sway" a few minutes ago and it sounded as if she was about 3 feet above my X-Voce and pretty much life-size as if she were right here in the room, blending perfectly with the X-Statik's. All three speakers running in unison just puts one seamless, wide image across the entire front wall of the room.

Just my two pennies.  :wink:

Nick77

« Reply #29 on: 25 Dec 2011, 08:54 pm »
Well as far as the woofer dynamics in different arrangements Danny would have to address. Honestly when playing the center by itself it sounds a lot like the ob/7 but with deeper bass output. I thought while playing music across the front with ob/7 it was pretty seamless, but am not a fan of muli-channel music anyway. As far a center channel, i cant imagine anything working better but i guess it isnt called LS-C for nothing.  :scratch:

Chops

« Reply #30 on: 25 Dec 2011, 09:07 pm »
Actually, I'm glad to hear that the LS-C does in fact work seamlessly with the OB/7's. Trust me when I say I wasn't trying to rain on your parade or anything. I was merely thinking out loud more than anything else.

Danny Richie

« Reply #31 on: 27 Dec 2011, 12:10 am »
Several people have already built a single OB-7 plus, without the lower side firing sub, and turned on its side. Works great!

Nick77

« Reply #32 on: 10 Jan 2012, 10:48 pm »
Several people have already built a single OB-7 plus, without the lower side firing sub, and turned on its side. Works great!

I have been meaning to respond and update. I was aware of the open baffle center channel build when i decided to build the LS-C. I dont regret building the LS for one second. I feel the ported cabinet is an excellent choice for the ob/7, they are very similar in sound and i REALLY like the bass that comes from this speaker. My first thought was WOW i should poke holes in the ob/7 cabinets. :)

The off axis response is outstanding and the dialog issues i have suffered from for so long are gone. I set the volume and forget it, i can hear everything now and i mean everything. A tea cup being placed on saucer or every background noise never detectable till now. O and did i mention the bass, love it! Now i just need to upgrade my electronics to even come close to its capabilities.

The only remote criticism is the size, it is big and wont be resting in its permimate home till the new house is built. Until then it will be moved back and forth for movie viewing. Im sure it is the perfect proportion for those ominious LS-9's.

Thanks again Danny!  :thumb: