Are Vinyl Folks Just HiRez Wannabies?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Are Vinyl Folks Just HiRez Wannabies?
« Reply #20 on: 8 Dec 2011, 10:36 pm »
I wish more manufacturers would just sell their music direct, with multiple options for resolution - ie:

Maxwell's Silver Hammer 128kbps AAC - $1.00
Maxwell's Silver Hammer 16/44 FLAC - $1.25
Maxwell's Silver Hammer HiRez 24/192 - $1.50

From an administrative/cost standpoint, it's not any more costly to offer 3 levels of resolution for download.  The master tapes are there already, and they are (often) already hirez, so it's just a matter of making them available as an additional download option.  If the music industry didn't have it's head up it's @ss, we'd already have this as a widespread option.

kingdeezie

« Reply #21 on: 8 Dec 2011, 10:43 pm »
I wish more manufacturers would just sell their music direct, with multiple options for resolution - ie:

Maxwell's Silver Hammer 128kbps AAC - $1.00
Maxwell's Silver Hammer 16/44 FLAC - $1.25
Maxwell's Silver Hammer HiRez 24/192 - $1.50

From an administrative/cost standpoint, it's not any more costly to offer 3 levels of resolution for download.  The master tapes are there already, and they are (often) already hirez, so it's just a matter of making them available as an additional download option.  If the music industry didn't have it's head up it's @ss, we'd already have this as a widespread option.

Completely agree with what you have here.

I am foaming at the proverbial mouth to jump on a system like this. I am tired of going to Best Buy looking for CDs that they don't have.

I also got tired of vinyl. I had a Michell Gyrodec SE, Tecnoarm, Dynavector 20X, which while not anywhere near SOTA vinyl playback, it was decent enough. I just couldn't get rid of, no matter how much cleaning, vacuuming, steaming, etc, etc, etc, the pop and clicks and static.

Of course, some albums that I had that sounded great I miss listening to, but I would love Hi-Rez instant availability.

I would also like not having to pay 20 dollars from HDtracks for it either.

Freo-1

« Reply #22 on: 8 Dec 2011, 10:49 pm »
Nope, so many people choosing sides one way or the other when we all really just enjoy music? Absurdity. And everyone has some half baked logic as to why they've chosen the winning side. Seems pretty stupid to me.

I'd say this intentional splintering shows that most people are missing the point.  :o

It's you that is missing the point.  You are no position to act as judge and jury regarding people’s perspective on this.  PERIOD!

You are certainly entitled to state you disagree with choosing one format over the other, but making childish assertions just because not everyone agrees with your myopic view is not the way to advance your position.  It takes away whatever credibility you have.

From an engineering standpoint, hi-res digital is a no brainer as to measured performance.  For folks who mostly listen to classical, hi-res offers a multitude of advantages the vinyl just cannot match.

Yet, for others, vinyl brings them closer to the event being played back.  Regardless of personal opinions, if vinyl works better for their enjoyment, who am I (or you) to argue?

On that, we should be able to agree.

Pez

« Reply #23 on: 8 Dec 2011, 10:53 pm »
Haha on that we not only agree, you're echoing what I said. Listen to what you like there is not 'superior' format. That's what pisses me off. As far as being judge and jury you're right, I'm way more than judge and jury. I'm also executioner.  :icon_twisted:

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #24 on: 8 Dec 2011, 11:07 pm »
Folks play nice please.  Let's disagree without calling out peoples mothers, etc.  We need to make AC the place we can discuss these things; not simply mimic Audio Asylum.  :)

I realize the thread started as an ironic joke on the conversely written Vinyl thread..but there are some good ideas here now.  Let's keep it clean, civilized and in the Holiday spirit.   Thanks

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #25 on: 8 Dec 2011, 11:11 pm »
l0l  :lol:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #26 on: 8 Dec 2011, 11:12 pm »
My mother's Hi Rez, I'm vinyl.
Go figure.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #27 on: 8 Dec 2011, 11:14 pm »
My mother's Hi Rez, I'm vinyl.
Go figure.

Steve, then you are downsampled!  Birth is a lossy process!

TONEPUB

« Reply #28 on: 8 Dec 2011, 11:15 pm »
You guys still arguing about this?  Yikes.

All sounds great here.  I'll happily listen to anything you bring over.
Even dragged out the 8 track the other day and wasn't too bad!

Though I have to say the SRA rack contributes tremendously to it's sound quality!

:)

Freo-1

« Reply #29 on: 8 Dec 2011, 11:22 pm »
Haha on that we not only agree, you're echoing what I said. Listen to what you like there is not 'superior' format. That's what pisses me off. As far as being judge and jury you're right, I'm way more than judge and jury. I'm also executioner.  :icon_twisted:

OK!  :wink:

I get it.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #30 on: 8 Dec 2011, 11:24 pm »
I don't know why the major labels don't LOVE vinyl - it has the best, built in copy protection, ever!

Pez

TONEPUB

« Reply #32 on: 9 Dec 2011, 12:54 am »
I don't know why the major labels don't LOVE vinyl - it has the best, built in copy protection, ever!

Actually, back in the day when they were going to digital, analog was deemed "copyable" because people
had access to decent cassette and RTR decks.  Digital was the answer because the first 1X burners were
$4000 and blank CDR's were $15 each, hence no one would spend $4000 on a burner for $15 discs when
you could just buy the CD for $15.

Interesting how it's all changed!

SET Man

« Reply #33 on: 9 Dec 2011, 02:04 am »
You guys still arguing about this?  Yikes.

All sounds great here.  I'll happily listen to anything you bring over.
Even dragged out the 8 track the other day and wasn't too bad!

Though I have to say the SRA rack contributes tremendously to it's sound quality!

:)

Hey!

8 tracks! Cool retro dude  8) I don't think I've seen anyone post pic of their system with 8 tracks player in it  :D

BTW... I also have a Nakamichi deck. The original 1000 that I picked up a few years back to play some of my cassettes from my childhood that I'm fortunate enough to still have them.... they once belong to my late uncle. I play them sometime and it is sure bring back lots of memories. I still need to convert them but never got around to do so... Just in case the Nak 1000 eat my tape  :icon_lol:

Take care,
Buddy  :thumb:

JohnR

« Reply #34 on: 9 Dec 2011, 03:26 am »
miniDSP is hirez capable - just get some hirez files!

Oh yeah, good point. I've downloaded some of the free samples... I'll keep looking.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #35 on: 9 Dec 2011, 03:32 am »
Oh Ty . . you can-not be serious. 

(which is no tragedy)

TONEPUB

« Reply #36 on: 9 Dec 2011, 03:37 am »
My experience has been that every time the analog half of my system gets better I have to raise the bar on digital.  Then every time the digital gets better I push the analog further.  Been kind of fun.