RIP Harry Morgan

dB Cooper

RIP Harry Morgan
« on: 8 Dec 2011, 01:00 am »
Passed at 96 today. Good run. Really made Colonel Potter come to life.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: RIP Harry Morgan
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2011, 02:53 am »
Sad to hear; he was a great actor.  :(

While he did make Colonel Potter seem like a real person one would like to meet, I will always remember his best television character as Officer Bill Gannon. 

Rest in peace.

DeadFish

« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2011, 03:33 am »
Damn! 96 IS a good run!  BOTH Potter's he did were special, but he sure had a rash of roles.  Does anybody remember the name of the WACKY Potter that got carried away in only one episode? Sucker cracked me up!
Sorry to see him pass, but glad he passed this way so we could enjoy him.

DF

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 8 Dec 2011, 10:01 am »
What a fine actor!  He powered my childhood!  He will surely be missed.  RIP, Col. Potter- and Mr. Morgan.

dflee

« Reply #5 on: 8 Dec 2011, 01:38 pm »
He brought a real person aspect to all of his roles.
We were lucky to have witnessed his talent.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2011, 04:07 pm »
Yep, he was a good one.

I remember that General (IIRC) he first played in MASH. That must have served as an audition for replacing Henry Blake.

In his early B&W movie days, he also was credited as Henry Morgan.

Gene

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #7 on: 8 Dec 2011, 04:47 pm »
Those of who served in the military would love to serve under a Col. Potter.

jazzcourier

« Reply #8 on: 8 Dec 2011, 06:00 pm »
So brilliant was Harry in the 1943 "Ox Bow Incident" that at a screening Orson Welles told him to dust off the mantle for an Oscar. Also great in a far lesser role in "High Noon".

DeadFish

« Reply #9 on: 8 Dec 2011, 07:44 pm »
Yep, he was a good one.

I remember that General (IIRC) he first played in MASH. That must have served as an audition for replacing Henry Blake.

In his early B&W movie days, he also was credited as Henry Morgan.

Gene

Hey Gene!
Thanks for remembering Morgan's first role on MASH. (I was beginning to think it was too much uh...something-in-the-koolaid)
You know there really WAS a Henry Morgan as well.   Wore a bow tie and I think he was on "I've Got A Secret" (with Gary Moore) back in 'the day.'. Quite the character as well.

bunnyma357

« Reply #10 on: 8 Dec 2011, 07:55 pm »
Damn! 96 IS a good run!  BOTH Potter's he did were special, but he sure had a rash of roles.  Does anybody remember the name of the WACKY Potter that got carried away in only one episode? Sucker cracked me up!
Sorry to see him pass, but glad he passed this way so we could enjoy him.

DF

From Wikipedia:

Harry Morgan played both the 4077th's second beloved C.O. (Col. Sherman T. Potter) and the mentally unstable Major Gen. Bartford Hamilton Steele in the show's third season, in the episode "The General Flipped at Dawn". This latter character was a reprise of his role as Major Pott in the 1966 Movie, "What Did You Do in the War, Daddy?"

Jim C

DeadFish

« Reply #11 on: 8 Dec 2011, 08:41 pm »
Duh!
Thanks for looking it up and fleshing it out for us! 
( I hope to remember it this time...)

drjjpdc

« Reply #12 on: 14 Dec 2011, 04:24 am »
Well I will remember him for his splendid sense of comic timing with James Gardener in the Support Your Local Sheriff/Gunfighter movies. It is obvious when watching them that the actors had a good time as well. Being in the last John Wayne movie, The Shootist, was a career highlight, I'm sure.