Any DeadHeads other than me?

DeadFish

Any DeadHeads other than me?
« on: 6 Dec 2011, 05:20 pm »
The Mickey Hart Band is playing at 'The Old Rock House' (nice venue) Dec. 13.  Mickey's latest work converting light waves from space via radio telescope into ....music.
Kinda spacey, but I could use some 'space'.
I got my tickets!  Woohoo!

Here's a taste:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDXU_wiXDcg

Yer either ON the bus or OFF the bus!

DeadFish

gooberdude

Re: Any DeadHeads other than me?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2011, 12:46 am »
I'm a fan for sure. 

heading to String Cheese tomm night.  Not the same obviously!

the ORH is just awesome.  It is very close to being the perfect bar/music establishment IMO.  Cant believe Mickey will be there.

bummrush

« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2011, 02:58 am »
Just going through Europe 72 box set ,, outstanding

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2011, 03:03 am »
Listened to Further Live 03/03/2010 in Pittsburgh the other night. Don't really claim to be a Deadhead but my sister has been attending concerts since the mid 70s. She's probably seen them 300 times in all their different iterations.

DeadFish

« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2011, 04:02 am »
Hey, Fellow Riders!

Thanks for chirping up!  I was really 'cranked' after getting tickets and didn't know if anyone else even knew it was going on.  Saw Bill Kreutzman's band, 'Seven Walkers' at ORH and it really *is* a great venue, not too big so it gets impersonal.  Couldn't get around to scoring Furthur tickets soon enough, but I've liked most of Hart's solo stuff through the years and appreciate his approach to his music.  I think a lot of his post-Dead work, but have to admit it took a few years before I could sit back during a 'Space' segment with Kreutzman and just grin.  :thumb: 
(It took me even longer to 'get' Pat Metheny!)  :D
Enjoy the String Cheese tomorrow nite, gooberdude!  A good choice for my next selection!
Bummrush, you bum me out.  :green:  Would like to hear it all someday.  Picked up the $10 Europe '72 Vol II was a good score but all I could afford and liked it.  I can only imagine the Tour.... :drool:
And timind, since you listened at all, you got 'potential'!  :D  You just gotta hear the right concert!
We are sure lucky for having so many we *can* access.
Okay, I'll go shut up now. 
Thanks again for responding!

DeadFish

targa02

« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2011, 04:37 am »
I am not a DeadHead - yet!  I would sincerely appreciate suggestions from DeadHeads as to which CD or hi rez download (sorry, no turntable) for me to start with. 

Thanks in advance for your input.

G

DeadFish

« Reply #6 on: 7 Dec 2011, 04:56 am »
Hey G,
I wish I had a 'hit with a bullet' to offer you, but I'd lean to live stuff particularly.  One of my favorites is the first 'Live Dead' Album, of which 3/4 of 2 records were one jam, but it is hopelessly a relic of the psychedlic 60s, if you can like that.  Here is a taste of the first 20 minutes from that one, see if it appeals...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhVDcXZwcH4
The next 'Live Dead' was more individual, extended songs with a bit of an acoustic flair.  Different, but still good.  Europe '72 was from a great run of shows in 1972 that bummrush has a *complete set* of.  That might be the most accessible of the 3 first ones, I could suggest. 
But I will say in front of God and all of y'all, I bought every Dead LP that came out, and I didn't like any of them until I listened a while.  Maybe it takes repeated doses to 'get off' on it.  But be warned.
How about anybody else have suggestions? 

tvyankee

« Reply #7 on: 7 Dec 2011, 11:43 am »
Hey Guy's,

If you want a good place to start for suggestions look here.

http://www.deadlistening.com/

Mike Nomad

« Reply #8 on: 7 Dec 2011, 04:53 pm »
Hey Now DeadFish,

You're into The Dead? :wink: Do you know about...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiorella_Terenzi

@ targa02: There is _a lot_ to choose from. Aside from the usual starting place (American Beauty & Workingman's Dead), I would recommend Wake of the Flood on the studio side. For live, get Reckoning (all acoustic) and Dead Set (all electric). Next, Dick's Picks #33.

And of course, there is plenty to stream (for free, as in beer) at:

http://www.archive.org/details/GratefulDead

DeadFish

« Reply #9 on: 7 Dec 2011, 05:03 pm »
Thanks for the 'tune up', Mike!

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #10 on: 8 Dec 2011, 03:11 am »
No I don't consider myself a true Deadhead but I've seen them a few times over the years. Hell, I even made a special jaunt over to Haight-Asbury for a look at the Dead's house when we were visiting SF a few years ago. Took a pic of myself on the steps to impress my sister.  8)
I turned my sister on to this http://www.gdradio.net/features.htm so she can listen at work. It's worth a listen.

targa02

« Reply #11 on: 8 Dec 2011, 02:31 pm »
Thanks Everyone for the great suggestions!  I spent last evening with my neighbor, a self-proclaimed DeadHead and we listened to multiple tracks of: Live/Dead, Workingman's Dead and Jerry Garcia's After Midnight Keen College.  What a great way to spend a Wednesday evening!  Although I liked many of the tracks off Live/Dead, I am a bigger fan of better recorded and less frantic Workingman's Dead.  I also really liked Jerry Garcia's acoustic band. 

Thanks again to everyone!  I may not be DeadHead (yet), but I am certainly enjoying these new treasures.

All the best, Gary

bummrush

« Reply #12 on: 8 Dec 2011, 03:06 pm »
Don't worry same here I didn't get into them til well after 2005 or so.Even though I knew of them for 35 years.

jmlm

« Reply #13 on: 8 Dec 2011, 10:03 pm »
That '72 European Tour album was one of the first records I ever bought! 

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #14 on: 8 Dec 2011, 10:37 pm »
I suspect that Martyo may also have considered himself a DeadHead.

gooberdude

« Reply #15 on: 8 Dec 2011, 11:01 pm »
If you like Garcia, check out Grateful Dawg.  jerry's work with David Grisman is remarkable.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #16 on: 8 Dec 2011, 11:14 pm »
Don't forget this.

And this.

:thumb:

targa02

« Reply #17 on: 9 Dec 2011, 04:46 am »
If you like Garcia, check out Grateful Dawg.  jerry's work with David Grisman is remarkable.

Is this a good one to start with?  Thanks in advance!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/hdtrack_img/715949104626_185.jpg

Nanook

« Reply #18 on: 9 Dec 2011, 07:21 am »
I'm enjoying Workingman's Dead HDCD at present. I've been listening to GD for many years. Their body of work is huge.

DeadFish

« Reply #19 on: 9 Dec 2011, 07:57 am »
Don't forget this.

:thumb:

Hey Mitsuman, they played in some club down in EAST St. Louis (whose name slips me at the moment) promoting this album.  A splendid time had by all.  JGB and the Police (on their first or 2nd tour) stopped by that place too.  Attractive at the time to us east-siders, if you wanted to risk getting robbed.  :wink:

BTW, that Grateful Dawg IS worth listening to.  :)