Tim Tebow

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
Re: Tim Tebow
« Reply #60 on: 12 Dec 2011, 12:55 am »
Have to give him credit.

As for the Bears, the worst coached team in football, plus their GM wouldn't know a 1st round pick if he came up and bit him on the buttocks.Good-Bye Angelo and take Lovey with you.

roscoeiii

« Reply #61 on: 12 Dec 2011, 12:59 am »
Yeah, what was going on with the Bears?  The coaches not only should have told Barber to stay in bounds at all cost, but also should have assigned another Bear to tackle him if it looked like he might go out of bounds...

cujobob

« Reply #62 on: 12 Dec 2011, 03:55 pm »
Chicago got Tebowed? He had nothing to do with it....unless you're saying God told him to bribe Barber which would make sense.

jackman

« Reply #63 on: 12 Dec 2011, 04:06 pm »
Chicago got Tebowed? He had nothing to do with it....unless you're saying God told him to bribe Barber which would make sense.

Nothing to do with it?  Did you watch the game?   Late in the 4th quarter and in OT, Tebow was perfect - AS A PASSER!  He made some unbelievably great passes and was perfect when the game was on the line.  As usual, guys like you will never give this kid credit for his contribution.  This team believes in him and when the game is on the line, he delivers.

If the Bronco receivers could have caught a couple balls before the fourth quarter, they would not have needed Tebow's late game heroics.  He's still young and developing but he's getting better every game.  Needs to improve his accuracy but his leadership and mental toughness can not be questioned.  Either way, nothing short of a highly unlikely/impossible Superbowl victory is going to shut up the Tebow haters.

Barber certainly helped the Bears lose the game but Tebow (and some insanely good kicking) won the game for the Broncos.  Kyle Orton would have lost that game. 

The Bears didn't just lose...they were TEBOWED!   :thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #64 on: 12 Dec 2011, 05:09 pm »
The pivotal play was Barber stepping out of bounds.  Then Tebow took it home.  The latter adds to his mystique which is supernatural now.  I like the man a lot.  He IS exciting.  He even makes opposing defenses miss tackles and his numbers in the 4th quarter were way impressive.  Go Bow! 

bkatbamna

« Reply #65 on: 12 Dec 2011, 05:29 pm »
A win is a win is a win.
At this point the sports media has a vested interest in seeing Tebow fail because they predicted that he would.  He has made them look like the fools that they are by succeeding.

cujobob

« Reply #66 on: 12 Dec 2011, 06:59 pm »
Chicago made mistakes that lost the game. Tebow could have been worse and played decently but yes, orton wins that game.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #67 on: 12 Dec 2011, 07:10 pm »
A win is a win is a win.
At this point the sports media has a vested interest in seeing Tebow fail because they predicted that he would.  He has made them look like the fools that they are by succeeding.

Disagree.  They are feasting on his unlikely success and riding that to ratings success.  If you can call blabbermouth talking heads worthy of ratings.

EDIT:  I didn't link the 'talking heads' thing.  I was referring to washed-up coaches, players, and especially one moronic former QB.

jjc1

« Reply #68 on: 12 Dec 2011, 07:24 pm »
Check out ELI! 6 comeback wins in the 4th quarter this year. And no help from his D.

jackman

« Reply #69 on: 12 Dec 2011, 08:23 pm »
Disagree.  They are feasting on his unlikely success and riding that to ratings success.  If you can call blabbermouth talking heads worthy of ratings.

EDIT:  I didn't link the 'talking heads' thing.  I was referring to washed-up coaches, players, and especially one moronic former QB.

The talking heads are finally coming around because of the success Tebow and the Broncos are having.  Before they starting this streak, this guy was brutalized by the sports media.  I heard him called the worst starting QB to ever play and the guys on the air in Chicago were speculating that Denver was only playing him to shut up the fans who were calling for him early in the season - when the team was losing games with Orton at QB.  Looks like the fans may have been on to something.  The Broncos have been pulling games out, partially due to Tebow's late game heroics.  The so called "experts" are having to eat crow - every week so far- because most of them predicted Tebow would fail. 

Again, I'm not saying this guy is the next Dan Marino or Payton Manning.  He's got some huge skill gaps in his game, but he continues to improve and win games in the process.  You also can't deny that he's made some amazing plays to win games for his team.  Actually, you can deny it but you would be wrong.  People who don't like Tebow will try to credit everyone else for Denver's success (bad plays by opposing teams, good plays by his defense, bad coaching decisions by opposing teams, sheer luck, etc.) but Tebow deserves credit for his contribution. 

It's funny because I strongly suspect the people who are refusing to give Tebow any credit for his contribution to this team's winning streak are the same ones who would be first in line to give him full blame if the team was 1-7.  The same talking heads in the sports media world who are eating their words every week during this streak would be the first to explain "why" Tebow will never be successful as a QB in the NFL and how he is losing games for his team.  I love it! 

I could care less about anything Tebow does after the games, who he votes for or which religion he practices.  It's fun watching this young guy develop as a QB and win games in dramatic fashion.  No other QB in the league has as many late game victories as Tebow.  To compare Eli Manning's record to Tebow's during this streek is absurd.  Manning is on a better team and is not a first year starter who most people gave zero chance of succeeding.  All of the experts expected Manning to succeed. 

Cheers,

J

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #70 on: 12 Dec 2011, 08:44 pm »
There are no haters and I haven't ever heard anyone hoping he would fail. I have heard quite a lot of justifiable skepticism about his prospects and I know from having watched every minute of every Bronco game that many factors, unattributable to Tebow, have played a part in the weird and happy results the Broncos are currently enjoying. That being said, certain plays and certain turns of events can be credited, all or in part, to his unique style.

The comments and observations in this thread are either well over the top gushing such as that provided by Jackman, or reserved, hesitant and/or conscious misgivings about leaping onto the bandwagon too soon.

Presently I think the most we can say in the face of this success is that a confluence of talent, preparedness and dumb luck has made a lot of Bronco fans like me smile. At the beginning of the season, after having watched them implode last year, I looked at the Broncos schedule and surmised that they would be lucky to win 5 games this year. They have been lucky and, so far, they've won 8.

Let's keep in mind, however, that Green Bay and Detroit each put up 40 or so points on the Bronco defense. They have not fared too well against prolific scorers no matter who was QB at the time. This weekend against New England will be the most telling contest yet.

Does anybody think that Chicago with Forte and Cutler would have lead by only 10 points in the 4th quarter? That same Caleb Hanie team lost to the Chiefs last weekend.

Speaking of the Chiefs, did you notice that they fired Todd Haley this morning?

jackman

« Reply #71 on: 12 Dec 2011, 08:59 pm »
I believe combined record as a starter in college and the pro's is something like 48-7 or something along those lines. Looks like this guy has been lucky for a long time!

I stated that he has major gaps in his QB skillet.  He can't throw accurately and has trouble reading defenses.  Somehow he has found a way to win. Must be luck!

I think they will lose to the Pats. The Patriots are a better team and would probably beat this Bronco team with Aaron Rogers at QB.  All of the Tebow haters should have a good chance to be "right" about this guy next week.

Who knows what the future holds for Tebow. All I know is that I'm enjoying this run.  It's fun watching so many experts proven wrong.

fredgarvin

« Reply #72 on: 12 Dec 2011, 09:35 pm »
Yes, it's practically unprecedented  what Tebow has been doing in the fourth quarter and in OT. He and Eli are really showing what winners they are. How many INT's has Tebow thrown? That's right.

"They have been lucky and, so far, they've won 8."  Luck has had little to do with it.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #73 on: 12 Dec 2011, 09:36 pm »
There are no haters and I haven't ever heard anyone hoping he would fail. I have heard quite a lot of justifiable skepticism about his prospects and I know from having watched every minute of every Bronco game that many factors, unattributable to Tebow, have played a part in the weird and happy results the Broncos are currently enjoying. That being said, certain plays and certain turns of events can be credited, all or in part, to his unique style.

The comments and observations in this thread are either well over the top gushing such as that provided by Jackman, or reserved, hesitant and/or conscious misgivings about leaping onto the bandwagon too soon.

Presently I think the most we can say in the face of this success is that a confluence of talent, preparedness and dumb luck has made a lot of Bronco fans like me smile. At the beginning of the season, after having watched them implode last year, I looked at the Broncos schedule and surmised that they would be lucky to win 5 games this year. They have been lucky and, so far, they've won 8.

Let's keep in mind, however, that Green Bay and Detroit each put up 40 or so points on the Bronco defense. They have not fared too well against prolific scorers no matter who was QB at the time. This weekend against New England will be the most telling contest yet.

Does anybody think that Chicago with Forte and Cutler would have lead by only 10 points in the 4th quarter? That same Caleb Hanie team lost to the Chiefs last weekend.

Speaking of the Chiefs, did you notice that they fired Todd Haley this morning?
I heard about Todd Haley, yes.  I can't believe Denver can beat New England.  They can score on them, but I think New England can score higher.  We shall see.  Hats off to Eli, too.  Fantastic play from the lad.  The next Dallas game should settle the NFC East.  It would be nice if NY had a running game by then.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #74 on: 12 Dec 2011, 11:10 pm »
What about the playoffs? Pats are 1 win from clinching due to head to head advantage over Jets. Ravens and Steelers will probably provide the fifth seed and the second or third. Houston is the other second or third candidate. That leaves 4th seed which looks like the Broncos and 6th seed which looks like the Jets.
Right now, the Ravens and Pats get the byes, I think, and Broncos play Steelers while Jets play Texans.
Does that square with your reading?

NFC looks more complicated, perhaps only because I pay less attention to that side of things.
GB appears to need 1 win to clinch home field. NO is a good bet for the other bye.
What else can we say?

jackman

« Reply #75 on: 12 Dec 2011, 11:23 pm »
Yep, looks like a good playoff scenario assumption.  I would gladly take the Texans over the Steelers but neither game will be a piknik.  The AFC is interesting because several teams have a shot. This has been a crazy year and I expect a couple surprises. 

I don't think the Broncos have a chance to get out of the first round but they've proven me wrong before.  I'd like to see a new team like the Texans do well but their quarterback situation will probably not let that happen. 

Packers/Patriots would be exciting and draw huge ratings.   Hmmmmm

cujobob

« Reply #76 on: 14 Dec 2011, 07:23 pm »
A day later, Fox talked about how defenses often go into "prevent" mode late in games — "you know, they're daring us to pass."

That's what conventional wisdom suggests teams do against a quarterback who consistently ranks near the bottom of the league by most passing measures. And that's what makes "Tebow Time" more confounding.

In the 81/2 games he's played as a starter, Tebow has taken the Broncos on scoring drives on just 12 of 76 offensive possessions through the first three quarters.

On the opening drives of fourth quarters, the number is just 1 of 9.

But for the remainder of the fourth quarter and into overtime, he's choreographed the Broncos to touchdowns or field goals an incredible 16 of 28 times.

During that span, the defense has managed 10 takeaways, but half, notably, came in the final period or in overtime.

From: http://www.detnews.com/article/20111214/SPORTS0101/112140319

jackman

« Reply #77 on: 14 Dec 2011, 08:21 pm »
Cujo, those are some crazy stats but I'm not surprised. There is something strange about the Bronco's success late in games and in OT. Keep in mind, they aren't the only team facing prevent defense at the end of games.  All teams in similar situations face prevent defense. Somehow these guys are finding a way to get it done with amazing consistancy.  I think teams are pressing late in games when they play the Broncos because they don't want the ball in the hands of the Denver offense with a chance to win the game.  Tebow has made clutch throws, brilliant runs, and they have a kicker who can hit from 60! 

cujobob

« Reply #78 on: 14 Dec 2011, 09:45 pm »
I'm not sure. Like Tampa bays much hyped qb looked awful until playing the prevent at the end of the game vs the lions and i couldn't help thinking.... More of this earlier could have given them a fighting chance.

I'm not too sure what to make of Freeman either, but hell I'm still skeptical of Stafford. His stats this year are great and most of his turnovers came with a broken index finger. Quarterback is a tough position to judge.

Remember  that kyle Orton was 6—0 once. I actually think he's serviceable at the position.

Good game this weekend, his performance win or lose will tell us plenty.

jackman

« Reply #79 on: 14 Dec 2011, 10:03 pm »
I wouldn't doubt Stafford, that guy is the real deal.  He had bad luck with injuries when he first came into the league but he has the tools to be an elite quarterback in this league. Doesn't hurt to have megaton to  throw to.

Orton is okay. A decent backup and good soldier but nothing special. He won't lose games for you but he won't win them for you either.   Still better than a young Caleb Haney.  He will lose games for you.