O-3 and X-Omni:A/V-O Comparison

thepianobar

O-3 and X-Omni:A/V-O Comparison
« on: 28 Nov 2011, 03:27 am »
I've done some searching here and via Google, but haven't found anything and was hoping someone here might be able to point me to a link or share some feedback.

Has anyone done a side-by-side listening comparison of the O-3 vs the A/V-O? I know they have different tweeters and the O-3 has two M-130s to make it a 3-way speaker, but I'm curious if anyone has some real-world listening comparisons or thoughts on these two.

Thanks!

Ben

WC

Re: O-3 and X-Omni:A/V-O Comparison
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2011, 06:26 pm »
Maybe Danny has? :dunno:

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2011, 12:41 am »
Probably emac or cujobob...

emac

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2011, 01:36 am »
While I haven't heard the A/V-O's, I own a pair of Ninja modded X-Omni's and a pair of O-3's, so I can comment on them.  Simply put, while the Omni's are a terrific speaker, and probably the best budget speaker I've heard, they aren't in the same league as the O-3's.  Both can throw a huge soundstage that is layered and deep (as long as you can get them away from the walls).  However, while I really enjoyed the sound of the Omni's, even with Sonicap Platinums as bypasses, the sound was a bit more diffuse than what I would like.  So, as long as you're looking primarily for soundstaging the Omni's are amazing, and that's why they are the ideal surround speaker in my mind.  On the other hand, the O-3's do not run into this problem.  They can be sharp, crisp, and pinpoint when needed.  Perhaps not quite to the same level as the N2X's, but they retain the soundstaging that the Omni's have.  So, to me at least, the O-3's are speakers that balances all of the features I'm looking for in a speaker and is one that I can live w/ for a long time. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2011, 04:49 am »
emac pretty well nailed it.

The O-3 totally excels in all areas but one. The look is to unconventional making them a tough sell.

The A/V-O is in the same league as the A-Omni. Both are extreme over achievers and easily beat out conventional designs using the same drivers.

The O-3 just takes it to another level. 

thepianobar

« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2011, 02:24 am »
Thanks all for the responses. I was just able to pick up some used Strata Mini's so this project looks like it will be put on hold for a while, but I've been eyeing an O3 or A/V-O build for a while. I appreciate the comparisons. Sounds like O3 fronts with A/V-O surrounds would be pretty amazing, but think I'd like to start with O3's in a 2-channel setup for music. Another project to add to the list for another day.

Thanks!

freerider

« Reply #6 on: 6 Dec 2011, 05:27 pm »
Out of curiosity, why is the O-3 listed as an N-series kit?

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 6 Dec 2011, 06:02 pm »
Out of curiosity, why is the O-3 listed as an N-series kit?

I had to stick it somewhere and it does use the Neo tweeter.

cedman1

« Reply #8 on: 6 Dec 2011, 06:55 pm »
... I was just able to pick up some used Strata Mini's ...

So just out of curiosity, what do you think of the Mini's up picked up?

Ced

freerider

« Reply #9 on: 6 Dec 2011, 07:26 pm »
I had to stick it somewhere and it does use the Neo tweeter.

I see, the N Series stands for Neo.  Thanks.