Margarito vs Cotto- Dec 3rd

Rclark

Re: Margarito vs Cotto- Dec 3rd
« Reply #20 on: 3 Dec 2011, 04:26 am »
Cotto

Rclark

« Reply #21 on: 4 Dec 2011, 07:45 am »
HAHAH Cotto destroyed him. Excellent. I can't wait to watch it someday on youtube. I won money from some pretty disgruntled Mexicans over this one.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #22 on: 4 Dec 2011, 01:46 pm »
Django-  You were half right.  I payed ten bucks to see this at a bar.  Cotto embarrassed and beat his man right into retirement, I should think.  His fight plan was perfect as was his footwork.  I gave one round to Margarito.  The fourth of fifth, I think.  Margarito didn't lack for determination, or heart or will, just everything else.  Usually, these closed circuit affairs are shown in gentlemen's clubs around here, but this one was in a largely Hispanic bar.  The crowd made this huge fun!  And the waitresses gave Hooters a whuppin, too.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #23 on: 4 Dec 2011, 03:30 pm »
Well half right is pretty good for me :lol:...  Still the result was unsatisfying (in regards to the hand wrap thing).  Once Margarito's eye was closed all comparisons to the last fight were off.  The first half of the fight was a carbon copy of the first fight.   Once the eye closed Margarito wasn't able to land on Cotto anymore so his game plan of wearing down Cotto was gone.

Still, I think Cotto executed his plan better in this fight and he seemed to have more stamina.  I was kind of hoping Cotto would get the KO.  That would have been redemption.  With the fight stopped by the doc Margarito was able to remain defiant.

It's strange that Pacman pummeled Margarito into virtual submission but Cotto's punches couldn't stop Margarito from coming forward.  Funny also that Cotto beat Mosley and Mosley brutally knocked out Margarito.  That's boxing.

(Anyone needing a way to view the fights on the day after should PM me)...

jimdgoulding

« Reply #24 on: 4 Dec 2011, 04:27 pm »
Can't say that I see what Margarito could be defiant about.  And some folks might say that the hand wrap thing WAS settled.  Your point about Cotto's power or lack of is well taken, tho.  Looked to me, however, like Cotto and/or his corner was intent upon beating Margarito with ring generalship.  I wouldn't want my fighter standing in front of Margarito, either.  Do the damage and let Margarito swing at air.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #25 on: 4 Dec 2011, 04:36 pm »
Well he can say that it was stopped by the doctor, he wanted to continue.  And the first fight looked fairly similar, Margarito ate a lot of leather in the first half of the fight. He came on strong in the final rounds.  I can't remember anyone winning a fight with just one eye so that changed the whole nature of the fight.  You can't see punches coming and he was having trouble assessing where Cotto was.  Anyways it is what it is and Cotto must be quite satisfied.

For a master class in boxing or the bull against the matador checkout Moreno vs Darchinyan...

Rclark

« Reply #26 on: 4 Dec 2011, 06:32 pm »
Cotto won every round, just fyi. The round six where the commentators gave it to Margarito, that was made fun of on the boxing websites I used to track the fight. But there wasn't even a chance for Margarito, he lost every single round.

Rclark

« Reply #27 on: 4 Dec 2011, 06:36 pm »
Round 1: Cotto walks away during the staredown, making his disrespect explicit. Here we go. Cotto bouncing around, looking to stick and move and lands a nice right. Margarito isn't active, but give him time. Cotto continues moving around and lands a nice left hook. Cotto with a right and a left. Margarito responds with a left of his own. Cotto with a nice left hook. Antonio pumping the jab now with a minute left. Big right hand, left hook combination. Margarito walks through it. Combination by Cotto, and he stays off the ropes which is what got him in trouble in the first fight. Margarito pumps the jab and then lands a right hand. Cotto 10-9.

Round 2: Cotto's looking sharp, but you wonder how long it'll take for Margarito to wake up. They begin exchanging jabs in the 2nd. Cotto with a sharp left to the body. Right hand lands by Cotto. Margarito still pumps his jab, but not many power shots yet. Cotto with a hard right hand upstairs. Now with a combination upstairs, and the crowd responds to every punch. Margarito swings his left wildly and misses. Cotto with another combination, and keeps moving. Cotto pumps his jab and stiffens Margarito up. Cotto misses with a combo and Margarito attempts a big right. Cotto 10-9.

Round 3: Margarito, perhaps sensing he's losing, charges in and looks to be the aggressor. Cotto with a searing combination, and Margarito smiles. Cotto gets in a left hook and Margarito charges forward, again, not landing much, and not throwing with much conviction. Antonio appears to land a nice uppercut. Now he lunges in and Cotto lands a brutal combination! Brutal exchange with a minute left! Cotto's combat switch just turned on and both are slugging! Cotto against the ropes and clinches his way back into the center of the ring. Margarito is cut but still coming forward. Cotto 10-9. Brilliant round.

Round 4: Cotto pumps the jab right away. Margarito continues to smile throughout. Big right by Cotto. And then a left hook. Nice jab, and Margarito can't get inside. Brutal right by Cotto, and again, Margarito walks through it. Margarito now stalking Cotto. Nice left by Cotto. Now Margarito on the inside with uppercuts. Brief exchange in the center of the ring with a minute left. Cotto chases Margarito with a left. They clinch, and Margarito gets some left hands off. Margarito smiles some more like some sort of crazed masochist. Cotto 10-9 with the shutout so far.

Round 5: Cotto beings with a nice right hand to open the round. He pumps his jab and lands some more inside. Margarito continues pressing forward. He still can't get his shots off with Cotto staying in the center. Maragrito now comes forward spiritedly and lands a few. Big left by Cotto and Margarito walks through it, smiling, and talking to Cotto in the middle of the ring. Nice right by Antonio and Cotto gets off the ropes. Cotto 10-9. Better round for Margarito, and this is where it should get interesting.

Round 6: Both open the round in the clinch with not much doing. Cotto pumps the jab and is sticking and moving. Margarito chases Cotto down and the two clinch. Both guys finally get inside and exchange a few. Margarito is still chasing Cotto down, but can't do it. Good left to the body by Margarito. Cotto with a hard left and Margarito stumbles off balance with his hand pressed down by Cotto's elbow. Cotto back on his bicycle. Cotto 10-9. "I'm gonna give it to Margarito because it was the closest round for Margarito" Terrible logic on the part of the commentators.

Round 7:Cotto with a nice left and maintains his presence in the center. Margarito tries to get inside Cotto with a right. Now Margarito stalks him again. Nice left by Cotto, and it's the same story at this point: Margarito stalks, Cotto moves. Not much action despite a lot of moving around. Cotto lands a shot after the bell. Margarito smiles. Cotto 10-9. And Margarito's bad eye is swelling up bad.

Round 8: Cotto with a nice left, right, left combination. Cotto pumps the jab to that bad eye, and you have to wonder at one point this will be a factor for the doctors. Time has been called: tape on Cotto's gloves need to be cut loose. The round continues with a little under two minutes left. Cotto gets back on his bicycle. Nice exchange, and Margarito is doing his best to chase Cotto down. Cotto with a combination that is mostly blocked. Both clinch and Margarito gets in chopping shots to the body. Uppercut by Margarito lands inside. And a nice right land. Searing exchange at the end with Cotto ending it (not the fight) with a left hook. Cotto 10-9.

Round 9: The fight is in danger of being stopped but they let it go. Brilliant left uppercut by Cotto. Left to the body by Margarito. Both are against the ropes. Cotto with a combination upstairs. They awkwardly clinch. Margarito lands some thudding shots and Cotto comes back with a combination of his own. Brilliant exchange against the ropes. Margarito with a series of uppercuts, and then a Thai clinch. Cotto 10-9.

Round 10: The bell has sounded, but the doctors are still talking to Margarito. They leave and there's still commotion in Antonio's corner. Smoger wasn't informed, and Cotto wins by TKO, round 10

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #28 on: 4 Dec 2011, 06:56 pm »
"Margarito won the fourth round on (official judges) Weisfeld's card, the seventh on that of Poturaj, and the ninth on that of Lederman".

There is no doubt Cotto won the fight and probably would have won had the fight continued, given the situation with Margarito's eye.  Still, in the first fight Cotto carried all of the first six rounds and then wilted under Margarito's pressure.  I just think the ending would have been more conclusive had the fight not been stopped because of a swollen eye...YMMV

Rclark

« Reply #29 on: 4 Dec 2011, 07:07 pm »

How conclusive do you need? Cotto didn't politely ask Margarito's eye to swell up, and I'm sure Margarito wasn't sticking his face out to meet the glove.

Cotto won. End of story.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #30 on: 4 Dec 2011, 07:52 pm »
Well said, cept for that last part.  I, too, would have liked to have seen the fight w/o the cut.  Bet you would, too, but it is what it is.  Whadda you gonna do.  It was kinda expected weren't it?

Rclark

« Reply #31 on: 4 Dec 2011, 07:54 pm »
It's a fight, guys get cut, this isn't macrame  :thumb:

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #32 on: 4 Dec 2011, 09:28 pm »

Cotto won. End of story.

Perhaps once you have actually seen the fight you will have some opinions that you would like to share  :wink:...

Rclark

« Reply #33 on: 4 Dec 2011, 09:53 pm »
I already got what I wanted. Seeing it will only make it sweeter. I'd like to see the cut first opening.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #34 on: 4 Dec 2011, 10:55 pm »
"Margarito won the fourth round on (official judges) Weisfeld's card, the seventh on that of Poturaj, and the ninth on that of Lederman".

There is no doubt Cotto won the fight and probably would have won had the fight continued, given the situation with Margarito's eye.  Still, in the first fight Cotto carried all of the first six rounds and then wilted under Margarito's pressure.  I just think the ending would have been more conclusive had the fight not been stopped because of a swollen eye...YMMV
I think it was Margarito's punches that wilted Cotto in the first fight and the controversy that followed.  But, you're right in that he is one of those fighters that will not be discouraged.  I hope he retires and lives a long life.

Rclark

« Reply #35 on: 4 Dec 2011, 11:02 pm »
I hope he gets flattened by a bus, but that's just me.

dB Cooper

« Reply #36 on: 5 Dec 2011, 12:42 am »
Here is an image of Margacheato after the first Cotto fight. Cotto was showing it around before last night's fight. Somebody showed a larger version to me earlier today but I haven't been able to find that one. I will link it if I do. In the large one, you can more easily see what appears to be a crack in Margacheato's hand wraps. Folks, GAUZE AND TAPE DO NOT CRACK. Hopefully this weasel has seen his last big payday. Even if this is not what it appears to be, I think he still deserved another beating for trying to cheat against Mosley. Since being caught in that one, the knock out monster has been busted up himself in three fights. He is a disgrace to the noble tradition of Mexican champions. F**k him.

dB Cooper

« Reply #37 on: 5 Dec 2011, 01:07 am »
And here's a video purporting to show Manny Pacquiao illegally wrapping his hands. I've always been a big fan but if he's a cheater, f**k him too.
Couldn't figure out how to embed it here, sorry.
Be prepared to ride the volume control, the person who put this together did a horrible job with the sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rwrEmHbC7rs

jimdgoulding

« Reply #38 on: 5 Dec 2011, 02:08 am »
Oh, wow.  That IS mindblowing, dB.  Cool music, too.