100 Greatest Guitarists of all the time

95Dyna

Re: 100 Greatest Guitarists of all the time
« Reply #40 on: 28 Nov 2011, 04:00 pm »
Based on Roling Stone magazine but I think they missed a lot of them like JJ Cale,Joe Satriani,Gary Moore,Nils Lofgren and many more.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-guitarists-20111123/link-wray-19691231

Add Joe Pass, Warren Haynes and Al DiMeola.  To tell me Mick Ronson is a better guitarist than Al Di renders this list suspect. 

Jumpin

« Reply #41 on: 28 Nov 2011, 05:03 pm »
I was dissapointed that Jerry Garcia was so low.  I think #46?

jjc1

« Reply #42 on: 28 Nov 2011, 05:35 pm »
Add Joe Pass, Warren Haynes and Al DiMeola.  To tell me Mick Ronson is a better guitarist than Al Di renders this list suspect. 
This list is from Rolling Stone Magazine. They have NO IDEA who Joe Pass is or any other jazz guitarist.

DeadFish

« Reply #43 on: 28 Nov 2011, 05:50 pm »
I was dissapointed that Jerry Garcia was so low.  I think #46?

Agreed, 'Jumpin'.  Then again, Jerry *was* an acquired taste that not all of us were chemically prepared to understand. Ain't it important that some of us 'got it' enough to know how well he was attached to his 'ax'.  I'll never regret a note I heard!

Keep listnin'! 
DeadFish

95Dyna

« Reply #44 on: 28 Nov 2011, 06:50 pm »
This list is from Rolling Stone Magazine. They have NO IDEA who Joe Pass is or any other jazz guitarist.

Perhaps then "Rolling Stone" should reconsider the "100 Greatest Guitarists Of All Time" title for the list.  May I suggest, "The 100 Greatest Guitarists Of All Time Except For Jazz".  Do you think "Downbeat" would ever be so presumptuous as to publish such a list with this title and exclude Hendrix, Clapton et al?

Crimson

« Reply #45 on: 28 Nov 2011, 08:01 pm »
The best of anything in the entertainment industry is purely subjective. Why is everyone griping? It was put together by a bunch of famous/pro guitarists/musicians, and other folks in the music biz. Does no one understand the concept of entertainment (as in, this article was written purely for entertainment purposes)? Kind of like putting a list together of the best 100 colors. Get over yourselves.  :P

95Dyna

« Reply #46 on: 29 Nov 2011, 04:36 am »
The best of anything in the entertainment industry is purely subjective. Why is everyone griping? It was put together by a bunch of famous/pro guitarists/musicians, and other folks in the music biz. Does no one understand the concept of entertainment (as in, this article was written purely for entertainment purposes)? Kind of like putting a list together of the best 100 colors. Get over yourselves.  :P

OK, I'll 'fess up.  I'm not at all fond of Rolling Stone thinking it as much a left leaning political rag as it is a musical journal.  I'm guilty of letting my own worldview color my view of the Top 100 Guitarist List.  You're right, Crimson and thanks for the advice.  I'm now over myself  :D.

drphoto

« Reply #47 on: 29 Nov 2011, 06:26 am »
I agree w/ Crimson. Any "best" list is gonna piss off someone, especially one w/ a ranking. How about a "100 Really Great Guitarist......but we probably forgot your favorite " list. Would that do?

I mean c'mon....the whole idea is stupid to try to compare and rank players from different styles and generation.

That being said, I enjoyed reading the comments by players in RS on other players.

Æ

« Reply #48 on: 29 Nov 2011, 06:36 am »
I agree w/ Crimson. Any "best" list is gonna piss off someone, especially one w/ a ranking. How about a "100 Really Great Guitarist......but we probably forgot your favorite " list. Would that do?

I mean c'mon....the whole idea is stupid to try to compare and rank players from different styles and generation.

That being said, I enjoyed reading the comments by players in RS on other players.

No worries for me, Hendrix is number one and probably always will be. Even if he weren't, he'd still be at the top of my list. Last I counted, I have 30 Hendrix CDs.

drphoto

« Reply #49 on: 29 Nov 2011, 06:56 am »
yeah, Hendrix was just out of this world. I'd personally put him at the top of list because I think he reinvented guitar playing. but maybe Chuck Berry did too......it all depends on how you look at it. That's the problem w/ ranking.  :)

dflee

« Reply #50 on: 29 Nov 2011, 02:01 pm »
Hendrix was interviewed after Woodstock and asked "How does it feel to be the best guitarist in the world" and he replied "I don't know, ask Rory Gallagher".

Later
Don

sfraser

« Reply #51 on: 29 Nov 2011, 09:37 pm »
yeah, Hendrix was just out of this world. I'd personally put him at the top of list because I think he reinvented guitar playing. but maybe Chuck Berry did too......it all depends on how you look at it. That's the problem w/ ranking.  :)

That's why I thought they did a "not bad" job. At 1st i questioned a few entry's and where they were placed, but after looking at it again i could see the logic. They are coming from all angles, I mean how else do you compare Keith Richards and Hendrix, Santana, etc?

Æ

« Reply #52 on: 29 Nov 2011, 09:58 pm »
Hendrix was interviewed after Woodstock and asked "How does it feel to be the best guitarist in the world" and he replied "I don't know, ask Rory Gallagher".

Later
Don

Anyone up for who is the "best saxophonist?"  :green:

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #53 on: 29 Nov 2011, 10:34 pm »
Kenny G?

just kidding.

In my book, the best saxophonist is:

Paul Desmond

He's wasn't a spectacular player as far as technique goes, but he always knew where he was and where he was headed, musically speaking.

I also really like Sonny Rollins and Cannonball Adderley.

HsvHeelfan

jackman

« Reply #54 on: 29 Nov 2011, 11:22 pm »

I'm not saying Mick Ronson is better than Al DiMeola but I bet more people are familar with his music.  He did some pretty cool stuff with Bowie and, I believe, he was very highly ranked in the 70's (somewhere between Clapton and Page).  I don't agree with the rankings but Ronson was a cool guitarist back in the Glam days!  His playing and style complimented Bowie during one of his most interesting musical periods.  There is nothing technical about his playing on this one but this song still gives me chills!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g6--QoPsDM&feature=related

Lastly, there have been lots of great guitarists over the years and probably quite a few great ones who never became famous.  I'm a fan of many of the guitarists in this thread and on the RS list but can't envision a time, in my lifetime, in which anyone but Hendrix deserves the crown.  IMO, he is the king and most influential guitarist of all time, and should not be on the list because the gap between Hendrix and all other 99 players is too wide. 

Cheers,

Jack

PS - I've seen Al DiMiola live a couple times and his playing, every time, was mind boggling.  I am a hugh fan and was at the Paco DeLucia. John McLaughlin concert when I was in college.  Amazing players!

stlrman

« Reply #55 on: 30 Nov 2011, 12:26 am »
Any Michael Hedges fans ?
I had the pleasure to him him live twice. At times it sounded like two guitarist and a bass player. He was one with the instrument!
A real master.

Æ

« Reply #56 on: 30 Nov 2011, 12:35 am »
I've seen Al DiMiola live a couple times and his playing, every time, was mind boggling.  I am a hugh fan and was at the Paco DeLucia. John McLaughlin concert when I was in college.  Amazing players!

I'd vote for John McLaughlin too.

PRELUDE

« Reply #57 on: 30 Nov 2011, 12:55 am »
Any Michael Hedges fans ?
I had the pleasure to him him live twice. At times it sounded like two guitarist and a bass player. He was one with the instrument!
A real master.
I have 6 albums of him and think he is one outstanding player just too bad he died young. :thumb:

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #58 on: 30 Nov 2011, 03:59 am »

Jackman :  Great Spiders vid - most fun I've had all day. Thanks - I needed that!  :thumb:

D.D.

tim92gts

« Reply #59 on: 4 Jan 2012, 09:35 am »
tim92gts.......let me know how you like it
Quick follow up.
Trance Fusion by F Zappa.
Love it!
Thanks for the advice.
Can't wait to get the Christmas tree out of the listening room and hear it on the main system is the hot seat.
Tim