Do all absorbers need to be placed same height Advice needed

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Sorry for being a bit slow in responding.  Things have been a bit nutty and ATT is driving me nuts on network reliability.

Yes, in terms of decay time control, the Tri Traps can certainly lay on their sides.

Bryan

bpape

• Industry Participant
The cove tends to focus things and reinforce bottom end like a horn.  Plus, anything coming in there as a reflection from another portion of the room is going to again, be focused and some of it actually shifted to the other sides of the room.

Bryan

bluemike

ok
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2012, 01:17 am by bluemike »

bpape

• Industry Participant
Sure. You have my GIK email address. 

Bryan

bluemike

Thanks again Bryan
« Last Edit: 8 Sep 2012, 11:52 pm by bluemike »

bluemike

Do all absorbers need to be placed same height
« Reply #25 on: 8 Sep 2012, 10:31 pm »
 :scratch:
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2012, 01:16 am by bluemike »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Do all absorbers need to be placed same height Advice needed
« Reply #26 on: 9 Sep 2012, 01:40 am »
The Master Handbook of Acoustics indicates that absorption can be twice as effective if spread out on separate walls (and not to mount each panel tight together as edges have noticable effect if left exposed).  Floyd Toole (noted acoustics expert) recommends locating most of it on front and rear walls and first reflection points bare to improve "envelopement", then adding diffusion to the rest of the side walls.

The Handbook recommends circular diffusion (radius to be at least 1/7th the length of wavelengths you're trying to diffuse (wavelengths are 1130/frequency in length measured in feet).  So in other words don't bother trying to diffuse bass (which you can't do anyway).