The Most Holographic - 3D - Preamps You know Of.

Steve

Re: The Most Holographic - 3D - Preamps You know Of.
« Reply #20 on: 21 Nov 2011, 05:31 am »
Hi R.

I believe the octo is a passive volume control? As such, one is comparing only a volume control to a volume control plus active gainstage in a preamplifier. Apples to oranges comparison.

I think the real question is how does the following gainstage "X" (in the integrated amp) sound with the passive volume control? Only then is one comparing a volume control/gainstage ("X") to a volume control/gainstage in the active preamplifier.

A large concern is how the "X" gainstage quality, in the integrated amp, will vary depending upon the brand, and even model.

Of course there have always been problems with passive and IC, source, and amplifier input capatibilty. Passives are more system dependent.

So I think the question is which is better, a passive with an integrated and IC interaction, or an active preamplifier with a basic amplifier.

Cheers.

ps. "I would consider one of his if I ever get to that second system."

Just wondering why the second system, and not the first? Have you already auditioned one?  :) 

Cheers.
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2011, 04:12 am by Steve »

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #21 on: 21 Nov 2011, 01:18 pm »

ps. "I would consider one of his if I ever get to that second system."

Just wondering why the second system, and not the first? Have you already auditioned one?  :) 

Cheers.

Haven't you heard...Pete's in love with a "DUDE"!!   :wink:

George

Steve

« Reply #22 on: 21 Nov 2011, 01:34 pm »

George

Oh I see. Everything comes in second.  :)

Cheers.
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2011, 04:16 am by Steve »

Big Red Machine

« Reply #23 on: 21 Nov 2011, 01:41 pm »

George

Because the Dude looks like a lady! :slap:

InfernoSTi

« Reply #24 on: 21 Nov 2011, 01:42 pm »
I believe the question was asking if anyone had heard a pre that should be considered, and the Warpspeed OC does fit that.  The WS has great depth and width (along with clarity and musicality).   

The idea that you can only have 3D by adding something to the music that ISN'T there already is a bit disturbing. Makes me think some of these gain stages are fancy forms of distortion that folks consider 3D.  I believe that the 3D affect is inherent in the recording and mastering.  Therefore, less interference (stuff like physical switches in the signal path) will gain you more 3D.

The Warpspeed OC kind of reminds me the old Lotus (car) philosophy: adding lightness (reducing weight) as a design goal.  I believe folks like Nelson Pass and the whole SET crowd believe simplification is the key. To each his own, right?  Simplifying by removing physical switches is generally a good thing in the signal path....

John

Steve

« Reply #25 on: 21 Nov 2011, 01:51 pm »

The idea that you can only have 3D by adding something to the music that ISN'T there already is a bit disturbing. Makes me think some of these gain stages are fancy forms of distortion that folks consider 3D.  I believe that the 3D affect is inherent in the recording and mastering.  Therefore, less interference (stuff in the signal path) will gain you more 3D.

Nice point. I also agree that 3D is inherent in the recording.

The Warpspeed OC.........
I believe folks like Nelson Pass and the whole SET crowd believe simplification is the key. To each his own, right?  Sometimes less is really more.

I don't think it is less though. It is actually more complicated than a simple volume control and involves SS material. And the gainstage is moved to the "integrated amplifier". Additionally the volume control is more sensitive to IC capacitance and impedances. It can work nicely, but one must be a little more careful with its implimentation.

(Integrated amplifier means preamplifier and amplifier combined.)

Cheers.

« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2011, 04:20 am by Steve »

InfernoSTi

« Reply #26 on: 21 Nov 2011, 01:59 pm »
Did someone dismiss it? If so, welcome to the club John. Some have dismissed mine as well.

Where is that stated?

Is it less? It is a volume control just like any other volume control, actually more complicated. So the gainstage is moved to the "integrated amplifier". So how is the system less?

See above. It is more complicated than a typical volume control.

Cheers.

Hi Steve,

I went ahead and edited out some of my comments...they were not aimed at you but at another post that got edited while I was typing.   Perhaps I'll learn something by reading instead of posting. 

John

jackman

« Reply #27 on: 21 Nov 2011, 02:13 pm »
John -

On paper, things like passive volume controls and crossover less speakers make sense. It's jut that in my experience I've never heard a passive preamp that sounded better than an active design. Same with crossoverless speakers.  Everyone has an opinion and a personal preference but in my experience, sometimes less is in fact less.  Haven't heard the Octo but anyone in Chicago who wants to bring one over for a comparison is welcome.  If it sounds better than my 10A, I'll buy one immediately.  I have no connection with SAS other than ownership of their excellent preamp.

Steve

« Reply #28 on: 21 Nov 2011, 02:15 pm »
Hi Steve,

I went ahead and edited out some of my comments...they were not aimed at you but at another post that got edited while I was typing.   

John

P.S. I do think it is a valid issue of where 3D comes from: is it inherent in the source?  And if so, how do you not lose it through the components.  My point with distortion is that if you are adding (or exaggerating) something that isn't there, then it is a form of distortion.  This is a simplify the signal path comment.

Hi John,

I also did some editing. No sweat and nice points. I also believe 3D is at least from the source. Stereophile CD2 and CD3, both track 10 are cool tracks. At one point the tester is some 50 feet from the mic, so a cool test for one's system.

Nicely put. Anything that adds or subtracts from the input is distortion. 

"How do you not lose it through the components." You are very wise as you see there are other forms of distortion besides HD and IMD. For instance, masking distortion will cause 3D to diminish.

I think we are on the same track John. I appreciate reading your points. Thanks.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2011, 04:22 am by Steve »

InfernoSTi

« Reply #29 on: 21 Nov 2011, 02:17 pm »
John -

On paper, things like passive volume controls and crossover less speakers make sense. It's jut that in my experience I've never heard a passive preamp that sounded better than an active design. Same with crossoverless speakers.  Everyone has an opinion and a personal preference but in my experience, sometimes less is in fact less.  Haven't heard the Octo but anyone in Chicago who wants to bring one over for a comparison is welcome.  If it sounds better than my 10A, I'll buy one immediately.  I have no connection with SAS other than ownership of their excellent preamp.

I would love to hear your 10A.  If I go visit my sister in Chitown, I'll pack my WS and you can take a listen.

John

InfernoSTi

« Reply #30 on: 21 Nov 2011, 02:18 pm »
Hi John,

I also did some editing. No sweat and nice points. I also believe 3D is at least from the source. Stereophile CD2 and CD3, both track 10 are cool tracks. At one point the tester is some 50 feet from the mic, and it sounds that way.

Nicely put. Anything that adds or subtracts from the input is distortion. 

"How do you not lose it through the components." You are very wise as you see there are other forms of distortion besides HD and IMD. For instance, masking distortion will cause 3D to diminish.

I think we are on the same track John. I appreciate reading your points. Thanks.

Cheers.

Thanks Steve.  Sorry to get this thread off topic.  I appreciate your comments very much. 

John

jackman

« Reply #31 on: 21 Nov 2011, 02:54 pm »
I would love to hear your 10A.  If I go visit my sister in Chitown, I'll pack my WS and you can take a listen.

John

Hi John - that would be great. Bring some of your favorite CD's!

Cheers
J

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #32 on: 21 Nov 2011, 07:43 pm »
The idea that you can only have 3D by adding something to the music that ISN'T there already is a bit disturbing. Makes me think some of these gain stages are fancy forms of distortion that folks consider 3D.  I believe that the 3D affect is inherent in the recording and mastering.  Therefore, less interference (stuff like physical switches in the signal path) will gain you more 3D.
John

Absolutely agree with this and it is reflected in what I said earlier about the effect being source-dependent. My own recent experience shows the importance of having a source that does an excellent job of retrieving the data from the source material and then doesn't step all over it before handing it off to the pre. And of course you want a pre which in turn does not crap all over that fine, exquisitely-retrieved data before sending it down the chain. The fact that my pre so clearly differentiated between my existing source and the better one in terms of making that "halographic" effect more prominent tells me two things :
a) that the concept that the 3D effect is indeed derived from the source material ( if indeed it is there to begin with ) is indeed the case and that a quality source and pre will lay that out before you without degrading the data and detracting from the desired effect and
 b) my pre is doing what a good pre is supposed to do: accurately reflecting what is going on in front of it without making a mess of it. That's why the sonic difference between the two sources were so obviously different.

But that's just my opinion and I could be wrong... :wink:

D.D.

jackman

« Reply #33 on: 21 Nov 2011, 07:50 pm »
Absolutely agree with this and it is reflected in what I said earlier about the effect being source-dependent. My own recent experience shows the importance of having a source that does an excellent job of retrieving the data from the source material and then doesn't step all over it before handing it off to the pre. And of course you want a pre which in turn does not crap all over that fine, exquisitely-retrieved data before sending it down the chain. The fact that my pre so clearly differentiated between my existing source and the better one in terms of making that "halographic" effect more prominent tells me two things :
a) that the concept that the 3D effect is indeed derived from the source material ( if indeed it is there to begin with ) is indeed the case and that a quality source and pre will lay that out before you without degrading the data and detracting from the desired effect and
 b) my pre is doing what a good pre is supposed to do: accurately reflecting what is going on in front of it without making a mess of it. That's why the sonic difference between the two sources were so obviously different.

But that's just my opinion and I could be wrong... :wink:

D.D.

DD,

If that Manley is your preamp, you are doing pretty darn good in the 3D department.  Manley makes some excellent sounding and very cool looking gear.  It is a well designed, US made, active, tube preamp.  I like all of these things! 

Cheers,

J

Rclark

« Reply #34 on: 21 Nov 2011, 07:51 pm »
I don't think you can strictly think of the Warpspeed as just another vanilla "passive" and be done with it. It's something new. I do know that in general active preamps add a liveliness that a passive cannot, but the WS does indeed have that sparkle and much more to boot. It's an amazing piece and I highly recommend you all get on the tour and try it.

Both my dac and my amp have "active" preamplification, yet they get torn to shreds by this thing, so it should be considered, despite the fact that it doesn't fit the standard definition of a preamp.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #35 on: 21 Nov 2011, 08:37 pm »
DD,

If that Manley is your preamp, you are doing pretty darn good in the 3D department. 
Cheers,
J

It is and I am... :D One more thing for your list - It's a kick-ass head amp, too! All hail EveAnna Manley - the Queen of Tubes !

D.D.

Rclark

« Reply #36 on: 21 Nov 2011, 09:41 pm »
Steve, I do intend to try a tube preamp, someday when my system is finished. which will be soon, actually. I've got you and Dodd at the top of my list and pretty much no others. We've spoken at length before if you recall, and I have immense respect.

jackman

« Reply #37 on: 21 Nov 2011, 09:47 pm »
This is an interesting thread!  I really enjoy trying new gear and meeting people who love audio.  Looking forward to hearing some of the preamps mentioned in this thread.  Maybe I shoud do a Chi-town get-together over Christmas holiday.  I'm taking some time off and look forward to meeting some of my AC friends and hearing some new music and gear.  :thumb:

My next purchase might be an amplifier.  My current amp is sounding pretty darn good but I think it's the weak link in the chain.  Hopefully some people have amps they can bring along to the get-together!

Cheers!

J

Steve

« Reply #39 on: 21 Nov 2011, 10:22 pm »
Steve, I do intend to try a tube preamp, someday when my system is finished. which will be soon, actually. I've got you and Dodd at the top of my list and pretty much no others. We've spoken at length before if you recall, and I have immense respect.

Thanks Mr. Clark, and I respect you. I have heard really nice things about the passive coupler preamplifier. I think Martin De Wulf mentioned in his latest issue that differences between preamplifiers is becoming less and less. That is good to see. That should mean more and more preamplifiers should allow for more 3D info to pass through without being spoiled.

Cheers.