The Most Holographic - 3D - Preamps You know Of.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
The Most Holographic - 3D - Preamps You know Of.
« on: 20 Nov 2011, 05:06 pm »

Can you share what preamps you have experienced that are the most 3 dimensional and holographic? I am looking for pres that give individual images that 3d, walk around, effect.

While I have not heard the Decware pres I have heard their lowely SE84c amp and it was a holographic as a Sun 300B I owned.

Von Gaylord's preamps are supposed to be something special as well?

Sorry if this topic has been covered already. I did do some searches and could not find anything.

Thanks for sharing.

Rocket_3D_Ronny

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
Re: The Most Holographic - 3D - Preamps You know Of.
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2011, 06:46 pm »
Can you share what preamps you have experienced that are the most 3 dimensional and holographic? I am looking for pres that give individual images that 3d, walk around, effect.

Rocket_3D_Ronny

This has been pretty damned impressive so far. Unfortunately it has also shown me that my front end is now the weakest part of my system.
I love this hobby... :green:

D.D.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2011, 06:55 pm »
The best I've hard was an Audio Research LS27 but I really covet that Manley!

drummermitchell

« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2011, 07:05 pm »
I did a home audition with a Arc ref 5 last winter,which I liked alot.
Quite a few things stood out very nice over the 3 days I had her.
This year on a hunch I purchased a used Vac Ref Sig MKII,
as far as my memory or emotion is concerned the Vac is quite a step up in terms of holographic or 3D descriptions.
Totally satisfied as I don't hear no downsides(had her for a few months).
Using Bryston 28's for driving force.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2011, 07:10 pm »

Thanks guys. Keep them coming.

From what I understand the Ming Da preamp is supposed to be HollowGraphic as well.

Have to say I love the Manley as well.

Rocket_Ronny

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2011, 07:33 pm »

Ronny:  I should add that while the Neo Classic 300B certainly does what you're looking for, I think the extent to which you enjoy those attributes is at least partially source-dependent. With my current source, you get a good helping of the 3D / holographic effect. I had a different ( and as it turns out, much better ) source in here for a week or so and rather than a helping, I got all-you-can-eat. I put my original source back into the system last night and it was crushing. But as others have said, once you've heard something, you can't un-hear it so I think I'm gonna be making a change...The Manley is definitely a keeper, though.

D.D. 

MttBsh

« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2011, 07:44 pm »
I use an Eastern Electric minimax preamp - with the right tubes, the minimax throws out a very 3D soundstage at a very reasonable price.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2011, 11:04 pm »
Pretty darn happy with my Atma-Sphere MP-1 in black.  (http://www.atma-sphere.com/Products/#MP-1)

To my ears it does exactly what you are looking for and more!  I haven't tried lots of preamps, but in my current system, I have owned or tried the Parasound JC-2, Plinius M-8, Esoteric C-03, Pass XP-20.  They aren't here and the Atma-Sphere MP-1 is.  Of course, synergy with my Atma-Sphere MA-2's can't be overlooked.   :wink:

Couple of downsides to the MP-1...First, it is very pricey.  Second, lots of tubes.

Given how much Jason and Pete love the Dude preamp, I would be really interested in hearing it directly against the MP-1.

George

werd

« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2011, 11:08 pm »
Pretty darn happy with my Atma-Sphere MP-1 in black.  (http://www.atma-sphere.com/Products/#MP-1)

To my ears it does exactly what you are looking for and more!  I haven't tried lots of preamps, but in my current system, I have owned or tried the Parasound JC-2, Plinius M-8, Esoteric C-03, Pass XP-20.  They aren't here and the Atma-Sphere MP-1 is.  Of course, synergy with my Atma-Sphere MA-2's can't be overlooked.   :wink:

Couple of downsides to the MP-1...First, it is very pricey.  Second, lots of tubes.

Given how much Jason and Pete love the Dude preamp, I would be really interested in hearing it directly against the MP-1.

George

One day you will bump your head and then be inclined to send it to me to try.....lol

TONEPUB

« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2011, 11:17 pm »
The Aesthetix Callisto Signature, The CJ ART 3 (the GAT is not quite as 3D, but more dynamic)and the ARC REF 40 would be my top choices, with the CJ ACT 2, ARC REF 5 and Burmester 011 pretty darn good.

The McIntosh C500 with NOS tubes is awfully nice too...  Not as much $$ as either group.

But the Callisto and the ART are 3D monsters in my book.  I loved the Callisto, but I use my preamp 18 hours a day, and it had TOO many tubes for that application.

I'm perfectly happy with the REF 5 and Burmester I have now.  (and, REF 5 SE is on the way!)

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 20 Nov 2011, 11:31 pm »
Couple of downsides to the MP-1...First, it is very pricey. 
As noted the reason why I didn't go for it.

George
That would be fun.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #11 on: 21 Nov 2011, 12:02 am »
Tubes, tubes, tubes.  Has a SS pre even been mentioned?  I've owned or own Dyna (Van Alstine), Precision Fidelity, Counterpoint, and ARC pre's.  Haven't had a SS in the system since the late seventies.  A Hafler.

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #12 on: 21 Nov 2011, 12:47 am »
NAT Audio Symmetrical....fantabulous!

nnck

• Music Collector, Audiophile, in that order :)
« Reply #13 on: 21 Nov 2011, 02:21 am »

Would anyone describe any of the Modwright preamps in this way?

TONEPUB

« Reply #14 on: 21 Nov 2011, 02:34 am »
Tubes, tubes, tubes.  Has a SS pre even been mentioned?  I've owned or own Dyna (Van Alstine), Precision Fidelity, Counterpoint, and ARC pre's.  Haven't had a SS in the system since the late seventies.  A Hafler.

All of the Burmester Preamps are very 3d sounding.  The last Vitus pre I had in was excellent, but they discontinued the model for an "improved" version, so we didn't do the review.  All of the Luxman SS stuff I've heard has been very 3d and very natural sounding tone-wise.

jackman

« Reply #15 on: 21 Nov 2011, 03:48 am »
Hey Guys,

I have been spending lots of time with my new SAS Labs 10A preamp and I can't say I've ever heard a more transparent 3D preamp.  It has three "contour" settings and although each setting provides a different sonic "flavor" each setting is extremely 3D.  Soundstage is holographic, deep and wide and notes have body and weight.  Excellent preamp, although the 10A's plain black case and utilitarian looks are not going to win any beauty contests or give ego driven audiophiles bragging rights like flashier designs.

Also, I've lived with the 7A, with Jena Labs cabeling in my system for a few weeks. The 7A is also very transparent and three dimensional.  The two preamps are actually very similar (I'll post a detailed review of both next week) sonically, although the 10A is a bit more dynamic and individual notes seem to have more body and more air between instruments.

I could easily live with either in my system.   Still getting used to the two volume controls of the 10A but it's not going anywhere (neither are Steve's IC's!). I'm enjoying my system/music collection more than ever.

Cheers

J

Big Red Machine

« Reply #16 on: 21 Nov 2011, 03:54 am »
Steve's preamps have to be the bargain of the century at those prices.  I would consider one of his if I ever get to that second system.

jackman

« Reply #17 on: 21 Nov 2011, 04:03 am »
BRM, I knew very little about Steve or SAS before the 7A kit thread. Bought the 7A on a whim and "stole" the 10A in the AC classifieds. It sounds so good, I can't imagine how good the 12A must sound. Someday...

Cheers!

J

Rclark

« Reply #18 on: 21 Nov 2011, 04:09 am »
I have to say it because it has been favorably compared to the sas, the Warpspeed Octo. A gent actually replaced his with it. I haven't had any experience with these high end preamps, but others have, and many have even replaced their pre entirely with just that ldr.

I love mine, with the Maggie's, extremely dimensional and real sound.

jackman

« Reply #19 on: 21 Nov 2011, 04:57 am »
I have to say it because it has been favorably compared to the sas, the Warpspeed Octo. A gent actually replaced his with it. I haven't had any experience with these high end preamps, but others have, and many have even replaced their pre entirely with just that ldr.

I love mine, with the Maggie's, extremely dimensional and real sound.

I can only comment on what I've heard and I've not had the pleasure of hearing the Octo.  I enjoy trying new components and hope to audition it in my system someday. I've never heard a passive I thought sounded good but you never know.

Cheers

J

PS - sorry, I just read the Octo thread and realized this is not a passive device, it appears to be battery powered.  I hope to hear it someday, but I'm usually slow to take the plunge based on internet buzz.  Ive seen too many flavors of the week...remember those cheap Panasonic digital amp  receivers that were going to put all of the high end amplifier companies out of business a few years ago? 
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2011, 01:21 pm by jackman »