Pink Floyd Immersion Blu-ray audio - DSoTM & WYWH

mathgeek97

Pink Floyd Immersion Blu-ray audio - DSoTM & WYWH
« on: 17 Nov 2011, 04:04 pm »
Does anybody have any experience with DSotM or WYWH on Blu-ray?  In particular, can anybody compare
  • Previous redbook releases
  • 2011 remastered redbook versions
  • Immersion Blu-ray 2.0 Stereo 24bit/96kHz original mixes

I would love to know if the hi-res 2.0 on Blu-ray is worth blowing that kind of money.  Of course, this might be my pricey excuse to finally buy a Blu-ray drive for the PC for ripping purposes.

Thanks!

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Pink Floyd Immersion Blu-ray audio - DSoTM & WYWH
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2011, 04:10 pm »
I can tell you the hirez STEREO is not really worth it, the hirez multichannel is the difference maker (assuming you don;t already own the DSOTM ones) However, for WYWH, for either stereo or mch, the SACD of WYWH is a better deal ($30). 

If the Bluray were sold alone, I'd say go for it.  $120 for a new stereo mix...nope.

kenreau

« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2011, 04:44 pm »
The current issue of TONEAudio has a very extensive review of the recent remaster releases. 

tonepublications.com

Free pdf download.

Kenreau

Mike Nomad

« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2011, 08:25 pm »
I bought both of them. I'm not real happy about the load of FanBoyCr@p added to the sets, thereby making them so expensive. I bought the sets for the Blu-rays, and the extra audio/video material...

The "resolution" of the Blu-ray tracks is 24/96. While I haven't compared  the DSOTM Blu-ray to the SACD, I can't imagine the SACD being topped.

I will be getting the WYWH SACD, in part so I can compare it to the Blu-ray. Again, I don't expect the SACD to be topped.

The extra audio in both sets is great. It's stuff that could have (and should have) been released years ago. At least I get to upgrade some of the stuff I have as bootlegs. The books are also nice. The packaging is terrible, along with the inclusion of drink mats, scarfs, and marbles. They could have left all that nonsense out of the DSOTM set, and instead added the original posters & stickers.