Digital Amp Progress

StevenACNJ

Digital Amp Progress
« Reply #20 on: 7 May 2004, 07:35 pm »
Kevin,

Please explain what the optional clock module will do and what impact it will have on sound quality?

also, will the clock module run directly off of a 15V ac supply or is it 15v dc?

Thanks

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
Digital Amp Progress
« Reply #21 on: 7 May 2004, 09:17 pm »
A6M-ZERO:    I didn't do much but thank you.... I'm mainly responsible for the chassis & sourcing all the parts for a complete kit but the design of the actual amplifier is done by Lars Clausen.    He has been hard at work on the design for a couple years now and the ZP2.2SE is the cumulation of his continuous work.     I'll take some pride in the chassis & layout though.   This is just the beginning because if you look at all those holes in the chassis we have plans to fill them. ;-)   You could easily double up on the number of modules and bridge them for crazy amounts of power if needed.   Or.... rather than bi-wire why not go for a real improvement and bi-amp?   Just add modules and upsize the transformer and you have a very scalable platform.   We will offer designs for multiple rear panels so you can just order more modules and continue to add amplifier channels as needed.   The replacement rear panel only cost about $30 and the only other cost will be adding more modules and power supply.  

StevenACNJ:    

There was an example of a clock sync module in the LC Audio tech notes.   In standard form the modules run at a switching frequency that is around 490khz.   It varies though based upon component variation on each board and different modules will run a slightly different frequencies.   The sync module will basically create a clock signal which forces all the modules to run at the exact same frequency.   I'm not a digital designer by any stretch but from my understanding when the modules run slightly out of snyc it creates more EMI so syncronizing the units should lower EMI emisions.   Also... in some circumstances you can get an interaction between the modules running at slightly different frequencies.   I've heard this refered to as the delta frequency difference and the result is an audible noise at about 2khz.   This hasn't been a problem with running stereo modules but can become a problem with multiple units like you would use in multichannel amp.   Syncing the modules completely eliminates the possiblity.

Running at a higher frequency is a trade-off.   If you run them at too low of a switching frequency the inductor/capacitor filter on the output will let switching noises into the audbile range.   Running the modules at a higher frequency can increase emissions, lower efficiency slightly but gives the LC filter network more time to attenatute the switching frequency.   I have yet to try the higher switching frequencies so I don't have a subjective opinion but some people report a subjective improvement in the high frequencies.   This may suggest that the LC filter is still letting some high frequency switching noise into the audible range at lower frequencies.   Raising the switching frequency just gives the filter more time to attenuate it before the noise byproducts reach an frequency that we can hear but it will increase RFI emissions, especially in longer speaker cable runs so it isn't a magic bullet.     All of this is also dependent upon speaker load which effects the slope of the output filter.   As you can see it is a complex subject and there is no simple answer.   I can verify the modules sound incredible at the natural switching frequency with a standard 8 Ohm reactive load.   Having speakers that present a different load may change a subjective preference so the ability to tune the switching frequency could be a nice feature..... we shall see.

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
Digital Amp Progress
« Reply #22 on: 7 May 2004, 09:19 pm »
StevenACNJ:   Forgot to answer your last question.   It will run off a 15VDC source.   We have a power supply built into the Predator supply that accepts 15VAC from a transformer and will power the sync module.