6BSST Overheating

SHV

6BSST Overheating
« on: 10 Nov 2011, 12:48 am »
The "B" channel of my 6BSST began overheating tonight, resulting in thermal shutdown.  Swapped outputs on the remote chance that there was a speaker problem; still over heats the B channel.  The 6B appears to have modular construction; can the "B" channel be removed and sent for service???  Shipping the whole unit is going to be a pain and likely expensive.

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: 6BSST Overheating
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2011, 12:51 am »
The "B" channel of my 6BSST began overheating tonight, resulting in thermal shutdown.  Swapped outputs on the remote chance that there was a speaker problem; still over heats the B channel.  The 6B appears to have modular construction; can the "B" channel be removed and sent for service???  Shipping the whole unit is going to be a pain and likely expensive.

Steve

Hi Steve

Yes you can just pull that channel

James

Mag

« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2011, 12:54 am »
Keep On Rocking! :thumb:

You need a fan to keep things  8). Always run my floor fan with the stereo on.

Anyway, had that happen with my 2B LP. Just unplug it from the wall, let it cool down and plug 'er back in and you are good to go.

SHV

« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2011, 01:06 am »
Hi Steve

Yes you can just pull that channel

James

Any tricks???  Looks as if the module is held by 6 fasteners on the bottom, anything else?  Who do I need to contact in order to arrange return for service??

Steve

SHV

« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2011, 01:10 am »
"You need a fan to keep things...."
All four of my Bryston amps sit on the floor, fully exposed.  The 6B is about 7 years old and has never run hot.  The 7BSSTs are stacked and no matter how hard they are driven, never run hot.

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2011, 01:17 am »
Any tricks???  Looks as if the module is held by 6 fasteners on the bottom, anything else?  Who do I need to contact in order to arrange return for service??

Steve

Hi Steve

Yes contact Mike at Bryston and he can give you details.  I assume it does not heat up at idle?

James

SHV

« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2011, 01:38 am »
Hi Steve

Yes contact Mike at Bryston and he can give you details.  I assume it does not heat up at idle?

James

Removed bottom screws and the module slipped out quite easily.  Will contact Mike re:service.  Thanks for the help.

Steve

Mag

« Reply #7 on: 23 Nov 2011, 07:44 pm »
Managed to get my 3B SST/2 to go into thermo shutdown in right channel, last night. First time it has happened with this amp, forgot to turn on floor fan for cooling.

What I was doing different was playing ACDC on computer with media player volume set high. Only had the processor volume at 12 o'clock which for me is low volume, but the db was still very loud. Anyway with the media player volume set high, I get improved micro-detail.

I have a HD audio card in my computer laptop so I think it sounds better than using my standalone Sony player. Though it might just be my imagination.
Waited a few minutes for the amp to cool down, light went from yellow to green, and I was back in action. 8)