dB Audio Labs news release - New High Rez Tranquility 32/192 DAC

roscoeiii

Also, I have a Warpspeed attenuator, and apparently the old Tranq didn't work with it. Will this new one?

IIRC, the Tranquility DACs had a fairly high output impedance, making is not as good a match for a passive controller like the Warpspeed (or any other passive amp, save perhaps a B1 or another design which would affect the impedance issues).

jrebman

Roscoe,

I used a passive LDR attenuator into a couple different pairs of 2a3 monoblocks an never had any issues with these setups at all.  Considering that the output stage of the Tranquility was a FET amp, it seems reasonable that the output impedance would be pretty low.

Note, I'm not saying you're wrong, but it may be an issue particular to the warp speed, that's all, and that my passive LDR setup didn't have any problems.

-- Jim

I don't know anything about the warp speed attenuator, but there are different ways to implement LDRs as attenuators and in one configuration they are pretty sensitive to impedance issues.

wilsynet

The stated output impedance of the Tranquility according to the web site is less than 50 ohms.  Which seems pretty low to me.

Are the stated specs in error?

roscoeiii

Phew, good thing I put "IIRC". I'm not sure where I got that impression. I may have been confusing the Tranq's output impedance with another DAC's...

Apologies.

wilsynet

Phew for me too!  I thought the stated specs might be in error and I was wondering if the Warpspeed that I'm expecting in the post today was going to work well with the Tranquility SE.

Although I see that Rclark says it didn't work so well with him ... Well, worth trying.  I was going to be buying a new DAC some point soon anyway.  I quite like the Tranquility SE (which although does not replace vinyl, does make me care about vinyl less than before), but I'm looking for something that'll do 24/192 and haven't settled on anything yet.

Jon L

Hi guys,

Playback capability and various supported platforms:
Tom - The Tranquility's Asynchronous USB interface uses a special driver and is compatible with both OSX up to Lion, Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7.

I for one am very glad to see 192kHz support from dB Audio and especially the battery PS, which usually seems to lift digital circuits to new heights IME. 

BTW, is Windows XP supported?  Lot of us PC audio guys still use XP and believe it to be the better, more customizable platform..

genjamon

I found the Tranquility SE going straight into my Ampino (basically a pot volume control in front of the amp section) had weaker bass.  My Horn Shoppe Truth buffer (a photoresister/LED volume control attached to a buffer) is essential for balanced sound in this arrangement.  So, despite the low 50 ohms output impedence of the Tranquility SE, it seems it can have issues with passive volume controls.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
I for one am very glad to see 192kHz support from dB Audio and especially the battery PS, which usually seems to lift digital circuits to new heights IME. 

BTW, is Windows XP supported?  Lot of us PC audio guys still use XP and believe it to be the better, more customizable platform..
I'm with you on barebones XP.  You can throw away 85% of what comes in XP, turn off updates and have a great music platform for Windows.  The new DAC will be quite happy on XP.  I think that XP/foobar/AQvox is a great sounding combo.  The biggest problem with the PC solution is all of the freakin' wires running around in the enclosure acting like radio station antennas.  I'm rebuilding the original music server that I built a year and a half ago to run pure battery power to get rid of that problem.  With the switcher gone I think it will be a very good sounding unit.  I am considering offering a specialized version of the BatteryBUSS speacifically for this application.

Everyone knows that I went kicking and screaming to the MacMini, but the Mach2 is a killer music platform/server and has yet to be challenged in the sonics department.    That being said and knowing that there are dyed in the wool PC guys that will NEVER change, along with being undaunted in the Windows based solutions, I am still determined to build a great sounding Mini-ITX unit.  Also, being the BatteryBUSS guy, I have found that as long as there is not an RS232 port involved then a 24pin ATX connector can be configured to run off of 12VDC battery power given enough current capability on the +5V buss with good regulation.

Having heard the new DAC from dBAL I think that this will be a terriffic combo.  Then again, with the Mach2 it was pretty close to magical, even in a show setting.  I'll have both and "try" to get the PC to sound as good as the Mac Mini.  I'm the patient type  :lol:

Dave

firedog

Everyone knows that I went kicking and screaming to the MacMini, but the Mach2 is a killer music platform/server and has yet to be challenged in the sonics department.    That being said and knowing that there are dyed in the wool PC guys that will NEVER change, along with being undaunted in the Windows based solutions, I am still determined to build a great sounding Mini-ITX unit.  Also, being the BatteryBUSS guy, I have found that as long as there is not an RS232 port involved then a 24pin ATX connector can be configured to run off of 12VDC battery power given enough current capability on the +5V buss with good regulation.

Having heard the new DAC from dBAL I think that this will be a terriffic combo.  Then again, with the Mach2 it was pretty close to magical, even in a show setting.  I'll have both and "try" to get the PC to sound as good as the Mac Mini.  I'm the patient type  :lol:

Dave

Dave-

Lots of users at ComputerAudiophile report that the CAPS2 server configuration proposed there  (using Windows 7 and a SOtM USB card, see http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Computer-Audiophile-Pocket-Server-CAPS-v20) sounds superior to a Mini, even a tweaked one like the Mach2Mini. Not my claim, just FYI.

If you came up with a battery solution for that configuration, I'm sure there would be some takers.
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2011, 02:42 am by firedog »

firedog

sorry double post

bhobba

I found the Tranquility SE going straight into my Ampino (basically a pot volume control in front of the amp section) had weaker bass.  My Horn Shoppe Truth buffer (a photoresister/LED volume control attached to a buffer) is essential for balanced sound in this arrangement.  So, despite the low 50 ohms output impedence of the Tranquility SE, it seems it can have issues with passive volume controls.

Yea that's exactly it.  The issue with the Tranquility and passives or direct connection is not the output impedance but rather bass roll off due to the output capacitors used.  I have a Truth as well and can confirm it is an excellent combination to extract the best performance from this DAC - and others as well if you are into checking out DAC's like I am.  Most DAC's perform better with the Truth eg the Tranquility and Metrum - but a few like my PDX perform a bit better direct connected - although it is to some extent a personal preference thing.

That said my understanding is the new DAC this thread is about uses output transformers so may not have this issue.

Thanks
Bill

Warpspeed CE

I have not seen a hi-res close up picture of the Tranquility DAC insides but I had guessed the output caps to be lower than 1uF...and they are at 0.1uF, as confirmed by another member thru email. The 0.1uF values when connected to attenuators/preamps with less than 50k of input impedance will create a bass frequencies filter that will not be enjoyable to most -especially those with subs. I think their choice came down to size and price, Mundorf being very pricey/bigger size at higher capacitances.

To rectify this issue, a decent 10uF film cap can be soldered in parallel to the existing output caps. Not sure if the SE or this hi-res version has designed out these output caps...

db audio labs

• Industry Participant
Hi Guys,

I started this particular thread to announce the new upcoming High Rez DAC. For simplicity and accuracy, I'd like to ask if we could keep discussions separate from using the NOS DAC as an example for connectivity, etc. Both DACs are electrically and completely different, in all respects.

For clarification, the upcoming High Rez 32/192 Tranquility design has a completely different output stage as compared to the prior NOS Tranquility design. In fact, EVERY SINGLE PART of the new High Rez DAC design, from its input all the way to its output, has nothing in common circuitry-wise as the NOS design. The only possible similarity between these two different DAC designs are the sonic signature. Hence, discussions of electrical connectivity and interactions, using the original NOS Tranquility as an example, just don't apply.

For those here who wish to continue discussing the original NOS Tranquility DAC, I can easily start another thread if need be. Just send me a PM with your inquiries or ask me here to start a thread for the original Tranquility NOS DAC design, electrical interactivity, etc. If asked, I will more than happy to oblige with a new separate thread focusing everyone's technical discussions about the NOS DAC design.  :thumb:

Cheers,

Eric Hider - dB Audio Labs

« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2011, 12:33 am by db audio labs »

decur

Looking forward to seeing and hearing this new dac!
Hope it comes out soon

jrebman

Eric,

Any news or updates?

Thanks,

Jim

kip_

I'm with you on barebones XP.  You can throw away 85% of what comes in XP, turn off updates and have a great music platform for Windows.  The new DAC will be quite happy on XP.  I think that XP/foobar/AQvox is a great sounding combo.  The biggest problem with the PC solution is all of the freakin' wires running around in the enclosure acting like radio station antennas.  I'm rebuilding the original music server that I built a year and a half ago to run pure battery power to get rid of that problem.  With the switcher gone I think it will be a very good sounding unit.  I am considering offering a specialized version of the BatteryBUSS speacifically for this application.

Dave

Turning off Windows update is an extremely bad idea. An unpatched windows XP system on the internet WILL be taken over by a rootkit or virus in less than 45 minutes flat. You're talking an unpatched 9 year old system.

db audio labs

• Industry Participant
Hi Guys,

I am currently at the Consumer Electronics Show. We've found some more improvements since our High Rez DAC showing at RMAF. Subsequently I've delayed our production launch until I can incorporate these latest discoveries into this DAC. Hence, the new High Rez DAC will be even better than the unit heard at RMAF which just received another best sound mention in Absolute Sound's RMAF overview this month!  :D :D :D

In terms of timing to market, I am now aiming for early spring or even sooner, whichever comes first. Thanks to all for your patience. 

Eric Hider - dB Audio Labs

arthurs

Eric - where are you at CES?

tasar

Eric, as it does not occur the original or SE Tranquility are discussed much elsewhere, a new thread should prove fruitful. Merits of so called "hi rez" have been questioned quantitatively by dB Audio, and all of us following the NOS path. Until there is substantial and viable hi-rez content, many will arguably stay the road. Fittingly, dB Audio should oblige this narrative here or elsewhere, embracing ALL those providing product advancement.

baumer

Has anyone heard of any news updates for this new DAC? I thought it might be shipping by now.