GK-1/Dact

Larry

GK-1/Dact
« Reply #20 on: 13 May 2004, 01:15 pm »
Quote from: stvnharr
Larry,
Are you still using Goldpoint shunt that you wrote about a year ago?  
What is the value?
I would think that 25k attenuator would match the 22k of the pot in GK-1, but don't really know, that's why I ask.
Goldpoint certainly seems better value than Dact.

Yes, I am still using it.

I am using 50K attenuator with Dale resistors. It's not an optimised choice but I just happened to have that value around and it works fine without any issues.  The differnece between it and the pot replaced was obvious. There has to be, considering the extra money invested.

Seano

GK-1/Dact
« Reply #21 on: 13 May 2004, 10:05 pm »
Quote from: kyrill
It is all about listening . Is the price worth the update? :beer:

No. :lol:

Probably for the same price you will have a silver one.

No to this too. Silver is extra. Another 20%.[/quote]

kyrill

GK-1/Dact
« Reply #22 on: 13 May 2004, 10:21 pm »
Noi? Vous said noi?
Comment can you tell?
Ecoutez moi, mon son
listen first..

SamL

GK-1/Dact
« Reply #23 on: 13 May 2004, 11:25 pm »
For those who interested,
I have include a simple diagram about changing the DACT into fake shunt mode.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=108

Thanks to Malcolm and Charlie for making it clear to me.

Have fun,
Sam

stvnharr

GK-1/Dact
« Reply #24 on: 17 May 2004, 03:07 am »
Real shunt attenuator or series attenuator wired as a shunt -
Is there really a difference?   Both still give the variable input impedance, but since Hugh okays wiring the GK1 in shunt mode, must be okay for it.
Any differing opinions?

stvnharr

GK-1/Dact
« Reply #25 on: 21 Jun 2004, 03:17 am »
I have now constructed a passive preamp that has neither a Dact, and is obviously not a GK-1.   However, this project got underway with both a Dact and GK-1 in mind.   The purpose was/is to make a passive pre with the idea of eventually incorporating it into my GK-1, which is far far away at the moment.
After a lot of postings here, and a lot of study in various places on the net, I made a passive with a Goldpoint Shunt 20K, with a Vishay S102 as the I/O resistor and Dale RN60 shunt resistors, and an Elma selector switch.   I've now modified the wiring to make the main input direct into the attenuator and just use the selector switch for secondary inputs.
I decided on the shunt as I liked the purity of just 2 resistors in the signal path, and it was a lot simpler than a full ladder.  
Goldpoint seemed to be the only one with real shunt pc boards.   Michael Percy has a good selection of kits, especially if one goes the ladder route, or wishes a 48 position attenuator.   Dact is series only.
I chose a 20K attenuator as that was the closest to the 22K of the GK-1.

The Sound:   I think the insertion of this passive into the system and the retiring of the BAT preamp qualifies as near a "fundamental difference" to the music, rather than a small tweak to the sound.
A big "veil" that I never knew existed was lifted making the sound much cleaner and clearer.   Details came out that were previously hidden.
This was as big a difference as when I got my AKSA 55 mono twins going nearly a year ago.

At the moment, the sound of everything is so good, I really wonder if I will want to try to combine this with my GK-1 when the time comes.   Also, not sure how the shunt attenuator with the slightly variable impedance, will integrate into the GK-1.

According to the placette audio website, to get the fullest out of an attenuator, even the shunt resistors need to be of the same high quality as the series resistor.   But the high cost of S102's would make that quite expensive, essentially cost prohibitive without winning the lottery.   However, eventually may look into using some Vishay VSH resistors, much lower cost, in some of the most used positions.

Thanks to everyone here who contributed information - Larry, Mal and others.

Malcolm Fear

GK-1/Dact
« Reply #26 on: 21 Jun 2004, 06:17 am »
Glad it all works well.
I must add it to my list (the Goldpoint).

My latest obsession is to get rid of as many RCA sockets as I can. I can hear them. My wife can hear them without me telling her I have changed something. Mind you, I currently only use $3.00 jobbies from Jaycar (Radio Shack). Flying leads directly soldered to the selector switch is the way I am going.

kyrill

GK-1/Dact
« Reply #27 on: 21 Jun 2004, 11:00 am »
Yes Malcolm
that is the way to go, I fully agree on this.
All those plugs were never designed to get the most music out of the system, but to make the system or interconnects mobile.

I have now two gk-1 kits and 2 AKSA 55 kits in the house and hesitate to begin What a monster solder project.
I have the excuse now to buy a special tool to make "connects" cold hard wired to the end of wires., no idea how it is named

andyr

GK-1/Dact
« Reply #28 on: 21 Jun 2004, 11:07 am »
Quote from: kyrill
Yes Malcolm
that is the way to go, I fully agree on this.
All those plugs were never designed to get the most music out of the system, but to make the system or interconnects mobile.

I have now two gk-1 kits and 2 AKSA 55 kits in the house and hesitate to begin What a monster solder project.
I have the excuse now to buy a special tool to make "connects" cold hard wired to the end of wires., no idea how it is named
Hi, Kyrill,

"Crimper", I think ... but I've no idea where U might buy one from!

Good luck with your soldering.  Make sure you are near an open window or have fan going to blow away the noxious fumes!!

Just remember ... the end-game is worth the pain!

Regards,

Andy

Malcolm Fear

GK-1/Dact
« Reply #29 on: 21 Jun 2004, 11:16 am »
Open Windows??
I love the smell of rosin in the morning!

AKSA

GK-1/Dact
« Reply #30 on: 21 Jun 2004, 11:32 am »
Speaking of Open Windows.......

Today is a bad day for computing.  Today Microsoft won a patent on the double click.  This means all programs, PC and Apple and Unix, which use the double click operationally will now be required to pay a small fee to Microsoft.

I despair of the patent system.  Soon someone will patent the accelerator pedal, or the rear view mirror, or the steering wheel, and some intellectually bankrupt company will pick up a 'fee for use' in perpetuity......

Cheers,

Hugh

andyr

GK-1/Dact
« Reply #31 on: 21 Jun 2004, 11:47 am »
Quote from: AKSA
Speaking of Open Windows.......

Today is a bad day for computing.  Today Microsoft won a patent on the double click.  This means all programs, PC and Apple and Unix, which use the double click operationally will now be required to pay a small fee to Microsoft.

I despair of the patent system.  Soon someone will patent the accelerator pedal, or the rear view mirror, or the steering wheel, and some intellectually bankrupt company will pick up a 'fee for use' in perpetuity......

Cheers,

Hugh
Hugh, this is unf'ing-believable!!  But then again, some US company was recently able to register/patent the good ol' Aussie name of "Ugg Boot" so now Aussie manufacturers have to desist from using this term.

I wonder how laywers can live with themselves ... at least prostitutes are up-front about what they do!!  (Not that I say there's anything wrong with pros ... simply that they accept they take money to fuck you!!)

Regards,

Andy