New Speakers...Again...

jaxwired

Kinger

Re: New Speakers...Again...
« Reply #1 on: 6 Nov 2011, 03:56 pm »
Very nice!  What made you decide to part with the Dynadio's and go this route?

jaxwired

« Reply #2 on: 6 Nov 2011, 04:01 pm »
It's a long story and I tried like hell to make the Dyns work because they are truly a world class speaker, but the short story is, they just weren't right for me.  I can already tell the PMCs are a much better match.

Kinger

« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2011, 04:11 pm »
Good deal.  In the end being happy with your gear is what's important.  That room is just awesome.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #4 on: 6 Nov 2011, 04:24 pm »
It's a long story and I tried like hell to make the Dyns work because they are truly a world class speaker, but the short story is, they just weren't right for me.  I can already tell the PMCs are a much better match.

I knew you'd come around eventually... :lol: are those the walnut finish? What do you find is an improvement over the Dynaudios?

D.D.

SoundGame

« Reply #5 on: 6 Nov 2011, 04:41 pm »
Wonderful...congrats!  I'm sure they will make you happy for a long time to come.

jaxwired

« Reply #6 on: 6 Nov 2011, 04:43 pm »
I knew you'd come around eventually... :lol: are those the walnut finish? What do you find is an improvement over the Dynaudios?

D.D.

Yes, walnut finish.

Well, the Dyns are more revealing, but at the expense of balance.  These are also quite revealing, but noticably smoother than the Dyns.  The Dyns had deep powerful bass, but the transmission line bass on these PMCs is so very clean sounding.  And these PMCs have such clarity they really sound more "live" than most other (excellent) speakers I've owned.  I still am amazed by the Dynaudio Special 25s.  They can sound amazing with the right material, but these OB1is sound excellent so far with everything.  I really like that.

I also think they fit the room very nicely.  Good size for my space.

Xinon

« Reply #7 on: 6 Nov 2011, 05:33 pm »
Very nice system and room , congrats .
I like the idea to post it  on youtube , everybody should do that  :thumb:

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #8 on: 6 Nov 2011, 05:36 pm »

They can sound amazing with the right material, but these OB1is sound excellent so far with everything.  I really like that.

That's the thing right there that I love about PMC's- they sound good across the board regardless of the genre of music you're listening to. The thing that I thought was a wee bit lacking was the lessened detail that you mentioned but the new PMC's have got that covered now, too. Those OB1i's are a really nice speaker, Jaxwired. Keep 'em around for a while and you'll be spoiled for anything else...
You don't see the walnut finish that often - always the cherry (again with the cherry...  :roll: :D ) but I've always thought the walnut finish looked sharp. Enjoy!  :thumb:

D.D.

jaxwired

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #10 on: 6 Nov 2011, 08:34 pm »
Congrats on your new speakers. As a big PMC fan (MB2i), I'm sure you're going to take to them quickly and for the long haul.

Dave

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #11 on: 6 Nov 2011, 08:49 pm »
I thought I would tag onto this thread rather than start a new one. I just got my PMC PB1i's that I listened to at RMAF and they sound fantastic which leads to my question..... I currently power them with Nuforce 9V3SE monos and they drive the speakers very well but after listening to them at RMAF with Bryston gear I am getting the urge to upgrade my amp to a Bryston. I have looked on line at the 4Bsst2 and the 14Bsst2. Is the 14B overkill for the PB1i???? I would rather not spend the $10K on the 14B but also don't plan on buying any further amps so I don't want to be upgrading to the 14 in the future. I would appreciate your thoughts and comments

Dave C

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #12 on: 6 Nov 2011, 09:21 pm »
I thought I would tag onto this thread rather than start a new one. I just got my PMC PB1i's that I listened to at RMAF and they sound fantastic which leads to my question..... I currently power them with Nuforce 9V3SE monos and they drive the speakers very well but after listening to them at RMAF with Bryston gear I am getting the urge to upgrade my amp to a Bryston. I have looked on line at the 4Bsst2 and the 14Bsst2. Is the 14B overkill for the PB1i???? I would rather not spend the $10K on the 14B but also don't plan on buying any further amps so I don't want to be upgrading to the 14 in the future. I would appreciate your thoughts and comments

Dave C

Hi Dave

What power range is your current amp?
Also how big is your room and what kind of music and levels do you listen at?

James

PS - thanks for your kind comments regarding the sound I had at the RMAF :thumb:

David C

« Reply #13 on: 6 Nov 2011, 09:42 pm »
James
we really enjoyed your room at RMAF. Thanks for being a great host. My room is not a good one for sound... it is 26ft by 16ft and has a high ceiling but it is what it is. My monos are 175 w at 8 ohms, 325 at 4 ohms and have a Peak Power of  (20 msec hold time)325W at 8 ohms, 650W at 4 ohms and 1300W at 2 ohms.

They are quiet and low floor noise. I run flac files thru an Eastern Electric DAC via a Slim device transporter. I listen to folk and rock and at times like to turn it up

Advice welcome and thanks again for making my wife and I feel "special" at RMAF. By the way I bought the Leonard Cohen "ten songs" cd after listening to it in your room

Dave

PRELUDE

« Reply #14 on: 6 Nov 2011, 10:01 pm »
James
we really enjoyed your room at RMAF. Thanks for being a great host. My room is not a good one for sound... it is 26ft by 16ft and has a high ceiling but it is what it is. My monos are 175 w at 8 ohms, 325 at 4 ohms and have a Peak Power of  (20 msec hold time)325W at 8 ohms, 650W at 4 ohms and 1300W at 2 ohms.

They are quiet and low floor noise. I run flac files thru an Eastern Electric DAC via a Slim device transporter. I listen to folk and rock and at times like to turn it up

Advice welcome and thanks again for making my wife and I feel "special" at RMAF. By the way I bought the Leonard Cohen "ten songs" cd after listening to it in your room

Dave
I think you do have a good room and if you do not want to upgrade later I would go with a pair of 7Bsst2 :thumb:

StigO

« Reply #15 on: 7 Nov 2011, 08:11 pm »

Dave C
Hi Dave,
I currently use 4B-sst2 to drive Pb1i signature, no problem at my listning levels... :)

Stig

David C

« Reply #16 on: 7 Nov 2011, 09:32 pm »
Stig
thanks for the note. I think I will see if the local Atlanta dealer will part with a 4Bsst2 to bring home and listen to. Trust you are enjoying the PB1i sigs

Dave C

StigO

« Reply #17 on: 7 Nov 2011, 09:53 pm »
Oh yes!  :D just got them a week ago, best pair of speakers I had... I haven't heard the PB1i, but I guess it isn't that big of difference.

Stig

rob80b

« Reply #18 on: 12 Dec 2011, 01:58 pm »

Hey Tom

Been out of the loop but just caught this thread, congrats on the PMCs, they were a toss up between my Special 25s.

Robert

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #19 on: 13 Dec 2011, 05:55 pm »
Congrats on the new speakers!