...and then everything changed!

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
Re: ...and then everything changed!
« Reply #20 on: 6 Nov 2011, 08:26 pm »
When going to the 23dB setting, the thing that comes to mind immediately is that the soundstage compresses both side to side and front to back. Low end seems to tighten up and you lose some of the "air" compared to the 29dB setting as well. Still continuing to form impressions.

D.D.

D.D. Interestingly, when I use the 23dB setting I get just the opposite effect - better blacker soundstage. It is noticeably better in terms of depth. Overall, the sound seems more controlled and balanced. Of course, I can't explain why we each get a different result, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has something to do with other differences in our respective systems.

Dave

PRELUDE

« Reply #21 on: 6 Nov 2011, 09:49 pm »
Did any one of you try this A/B without pre amp?Of course you would need a digital volume control on CD player or DAC.I could do it but right now I do not have any passive speakers around here.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #22 on: 7 Nov 2011, 03:22 am »
D.D. Interestingly, when I use the 23dB setting I get just the opposite effect - better blacker soundstage. It is noticeably better in terms of depth. Overall, the sound seems more controlled and balanced. Of course, I can't explain why we each get a different result, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has something to do with other differences in our respective systems.

Dave

After comparing and listening for a while now, I'm inclined to agree with you in terms of control - it's definitely a more focused sound with more bottom-end punch. Here the 29 dB setting yields a huge sound but it sounds less defined in comparison. You're using a Bryston preamp, correct?

D.D.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #23 on: 7 Nov 2011, 03:25 am »

Buddy, I'd love to try but my kit has been mothballed for the moment.  We had a third child 2 months ago and I got evicted from my upstairs mancave.  I need to setup a new room in the basement but in the meantime am working on a temp setup in my mainfloor office - not done yet. :cry:

I've only got my HT right now for music - no Bryston amps in that one....yet.

A belated congratulation on the new addition and my condolences on the loss of your listening room. Sounds like there is much to look forward to in your life right now, G.  :thumb:

D.D.