Icepower 125ASX2 C&C!

JDUBS

Re: Icepower 125ASX2 C&C!
« Reply #20 on: 10 Nov 2011, 02:53 am »

Additionally, the ad linked by the OP is for a kit version that is slightly cheaper, I assume the guy will ship an assembled amp for the price stated here?

The ad says $260 for an assembled amp.

-Jim

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #21 on: 10 Nov 2011, 03:15 am »
So, these can be run as mono blocks?  Do you have to use an actual balanced connection, or will an unbalanced to balanced connection work?
Pretty sure you need to feed a balanced signal to the amps to run as mono blocs.

HT cOz

« Reply #22 on: 10 Nov 2011, 03:45 am »
There are ways and I think Gent has something in the works.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #23 on: 10 Nov 2011, 04:12 am »
The ad says $260 for an assembled amp.

-Jim

Thanks, missed it the first time.  So what about the SQ being better than older ICE modules?  Truth or hype?

kimchee411

« Reply #24 on: 10 Nov 2011, 05:48 pm »
Thanks, missed it the first time.  So what about the SQ being better than older ICE modules?  Truth or hype?

Truth.  I've had a Bel Canto S300 with a previous generation module and a Bel Canto C5i with this same 125ASX2 and the C5i, despite being a very full featured 60 WPC integrated vs the 150 WPC S300 power amp, was smoother and more refined with much more bass authority.  The bass in particular was very impressive!

I just ordered one of Ghent's completed amps and am very eager to hear how it compares to the BC units.

On another note, from what I gather these ICEPower modules are licensed by B&O to the companies like Bel Canto and Wyred 4 Sound and are not supposed to be available for consumer purchase.  I'm not even going to begin to conjecture about where Ghent's are coming from, but if you're thinking about buying it you may want to act fast as supplies may be limited.

kimchee411

« Reply #25 on: 10 Nov 2011, 10:08 pm »
Pretty sure you need to feed a balanced signal to the amps to run as mono blocs.

This is also true.  I have confirmed with the seller.

"Now we are planning to develop BTL PCB to support mono block via RCA, maybe next month, please wait a moment."

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #26 on: 12 Nov 2011, 02:53 pm »
This is also true.  I have confirmed with the seller.

"Now we are planning to develop BTL PCB to support mono block via RCA, maybe next month, please wait a moment."
If a stereo amp has an option for running as a mono bloc then it is converting the signal to a balanced signal. A very simple circuit to provide an inverted signal along with the original signal is all it takes. An interesting development that Ghent is going to provide this option.

ajzepp

« Reply #27 on: 16 Nov 2011, 08:41 pm »
Anyone know if these are stable into 4ohms? 2?

kimchee411

« Reply #28 on: 17 Nov 2011, 12:00 am »
Anyone know if these are stable into 4ohms? 2?

Bel Canto claims their 125ASX2 based amps are stable down to 3 ohms as they put out 30A peak current, which matches the B&O spec sheet (the current output).

ajzepp

« Reply #29 on: 17 Nov 2011, 03:06 am »
Bel Canto claims their 125ASX2 based amps are stable down to 3 ohms as they put out 30A peak current, which matches the B&O spec sheet (the current output).
Thanks!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #30 on: 19 Dec 2011, 11:50 pm »
any one know how these compare to a Class D audio amp?

roscoeiii

« Reply #31 on: 20 Dec 2011, 12:14 am »
I'd like to know the input impedance on these amps. Wyred4Sound's implementation included circuitry to increase the input impedance which seems to have at the very least made these better suited to a wider range of preamps.

Also, the ncore DIY module has been released but is now out of stock until January.

kimchee411

« Reply #32 on: 20 Dec 2011, 12:25 am »
I'd like to know the input impedance on these amps. Wyred4Sound's implementation included circuitry to increase the input impedance which seems to have at the very least made these better suited to a wider range of preamps.

Also, the ncore DIY module has been released but is now out of stock until January.

Input impedance is 10 Kohms.

http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com/files/solutions/125asx2.

Since receiving and using this stock implementation I can say that it indeed sounds very good.  Not quite as smooth, focused, or tight as the Bel Canto C5i, but very clean, detailed, smooth still, and powerful.  Warmer than the BC and possibly easier on the ears.  Tremendous value for the money!

Seller has raised the price, BTW.

roscoeiii

« Reply #33 on: 20 Dec 2011, 12:29 am »
Thanks. So it is pretty much a stock implementation? Good to know. Beside Audiogon, any other source of info on this seller's amps? Most recent ad mentions options with 2 modules, but no price given...

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #34 on: 20 Dec 2011, 04:06 pm »
This is very intriguing...

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #35 on: 23 Dec 2011, 02:14 am »
Since the original add is now expired, I thought I'd add a link to the seller's adds...

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/search2.pl?seller&Ghentxu

Phil

« Reply #36 on: 1 Jan 2012, 04:21 pm »
Happy New Year.

I'm still  :scratch: over how good this little amp sounds.  Perhaps it is synergy with my speakers and tubed dac/pre, or maybe B&O's third generation is really a better mouse trap.  Seems to be so.  I find it hard to say that this is an excellent amp, without qualification, given the price and the inexpensive (non-audiophile-grade) connectors, but it is. 

The unexpected thing is the tonality, which is very, very good.  It seems this amp does what it is meant to do - amplify what it is fed, period. 

One suggestion:  try it with balanced power.    :thumb:

Very appropriate for the cheap and cheerful circle.   Thanks for the heads up on this amp.  Ghent has been very responsive.  Nice guy.

Phil

HT cOz

« Reply #37 on: 1 Jan 2012, 09:36 pm »
Hey Phil how are you running it with balanced power?

Phil

« Reply #38 on: 1 Jan 2012, 10:47 pm »
Hey Phil how are you running it with balanced power?

I meant that the amp is plugged into my equi=tech.  Not being a DIYer (wish I were), I haven't tried a more integrated solution, but would assume a dedicated balanced power supply for the amp (perhaps in same case) would be ideal.

Phil

persisting1

« Reply #39 on: 2 Jan 2012, 12:35 am »
How hot do these amps run (temperature wise)?