Oppo digital volume control

roymail

• Roy in TX
Oppo digital volume control
« on: 3 Nov 2011, 09:43 pm »
Some of the Oppo players, and perhaps other brands, use internal digital volume controls.

For a simple CDP, amplifier and speakers system, do you feel the quality obtained from this type of setup is superior to using a linestage preamp to control the volume?

I only use a CDP, so the ability to switch devices is unnecessary and extras may degrade the sound.

What do you think?  Thanks!  :D

jackman

Re: Oppo digital volume control
« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2011, 09:58 pm »
Have you tried t with a preamp?  A good preamp can really improve your sound. Even though it's another piece of gear, ive never heard a system that sounded better without a preamp.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 3 Nov 2011, 11:45 pm »
roymail,

I asked this directly to Oppo.
They recommend for the highest quality that the digital volume be set to 100% anything less than this will result is loss of bits.

I use a preamp for the volume.

Alex

randytsuch

« Reply #3 on: 4 Nov 2011, 12:18 am »
If the Oppo has a Sabre ES9018 DAC, that DAC supports digital volume control without any loss of resolution.  I know the new Oppos use the Sabre dac, don't know how they implemented volume control (although it would be kind of silly not to take advantage of this).

Randy

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2011, 01:00 am »
roymail,
I asked this directly to Oppo.
They recommend for the highest quality that the digital volume be set to 100% anything less than this will result is loss of bits.
Alex

Then what is the purpose of having a user variable volume control?  The factory could just set it internally.  Did they offer any further explanation?

If the Oppo has a Sabre ES9018 DAC, that DAC supports digital volume control without any loss of resolution.  I know the new Oppos use the Sabre dac, don't know how they implemented volume control (although it would be kind of silly not to take advantage of this).
Randy

I do know of one person who goes straight into his amp and uses the Oppo's digital VC.  He has tried some preamps but claims the Oppo's VC gives more transparency and resolution.  Full disclosure, the Oppo is nicely modded.