Listening Experiences

wsturner

Listening Experiences
« on: 28 Oct 2011, 11:26 pm »
For a while, I had been listening to Spotify streaming audio - and the quality is good. But I had time, this morning, to do some critical listening. So I switched to a HiRez source. Wow!

I was listening to a song by Coldplay called "Amsterdam". At the beginning of the song, you could sense that the singer was approaching the microphone, then hear him take a breath before starting to sing. In other parts of the song, you can hear the singers tongue "click" against the roof of his mouth.

The level of detail these amps provide is really amazing!

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Scott

Squeezebox Touch-->Cambridge Audio DacMagic-->(Battery powered, tube buffered, ClarityCap (bypassed) caps, Auric Hookup wire) Sensation M451 amp-->ProAc Response 1SC speakers

OzarkTom

Re: Listening Experiences
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2011, 06:28 pm »
Hi Scott, are you using the free Spotify or the $9.99 a month Spotify? My Sensation is also giving me chils after the latest cap mod, now I have to go back through and listen to everything I own to hear what I have missed.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2011, 07:40 pm »
This morning I had the spouse listen to some Ani Difranco I just downloaded (CD resolution) .  She said "It sounds live" and "you want to improve on this?" :lol:  (  battery kit on the way...).

J.River Media Player>  HRT Streamer 2> diy tube pre amp> Virtue2 amp> GR Research N3 sealed + OB sub. 

Rclark

« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 2011, 08:34 pm »
Im with you guys, modded caps, batteries. Sounds so good I feel I won the amp lottery. Hopefully we get news about the battery buss soon. Don't tell Django how good it is, his wife is already made at me :)

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2011, 12:57 pm »
Hi Scott, are you using the free Spotify or the $9.99 a month Spotify? My Sensation is also giving me chils after the latest cap mod, now I have to go back through and listen to everything I own to hear what I have missed.

Darn you Tom!
 I'm really wanting to try and fit the Dueland 3.3uf caps now! At $150 per cap I'm not sure if it's a sensible upgrade.
Its to bad I couldn't keep your amp here for 500 hours to compare lol.

Send it back...  :lol:

wsturner

« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2011, 05:02 pm »
OzarkTom,

Yes...I am paying $10/month for a Spotify premium account. I consider it money well spent.

I bought the kids a Squeezebox Radio - mainly to keep them away from my system :) It has native Spotify support - as does the Squeezebox Touch.

Scott

Trismos

« Reply #6 on: 7 Nov 2011, 01:24 am »
Spotify hmmm? I went to their site and it's not available here yet (Canada). I take it that it's an audiophile worthy offering?

Edit: MP-3 at 320kbps? Colour me skeptical....

Regards
Dave

Trismos

« Reply #7 on: 7 Nov 2011, 01:33 am »
Darn you Tom!
 I'm really wanting to try and fit the Dueland 3.3uf caps now! At $150 per cap I'm not sure if it's a sensible upgrade.
Its to bad I couldn't keep your amp here for 500 hours to compare lol.

Send it back...  :lol:

You've a bad cap habit going there Jason. I'll be worried that when my amp get's back I'll be finding myself in a similar situation - Especially when you start mentioning things like Dueland et al.... :roll:

wsturner

« Reply #8 on: 7 Nov 2011, 07:25 pm »
MP-3 at 320kbps? Colour me skeptical....

I have found Spotify to be a really cool way to access a LOT of music. The 320 kb streaming quality is good - but not near as good as listening to a HiRez, or CD, source.

Scott