The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread

bernardo

Re: The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread
« Reply #640 on: 24 Jun 2019, 11:55 pm »
A question for Super-7 owners. I asked Danny for the recommended setting for the A370PEQ Delay/Phase Control for the Super-7s. He does not have it documented but does state it should be the same for all Super-7s. Mine is set at 0, which is where it was when I received them from the first owner.

Anyone have a different setting or have experimented with this feature? If so please describe how you determined the best setting.

Asking because a friend says it can make an improvement when set correctly.

Thanks for any input.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #641 on: 25 Jun 2019, 12:41 am »
A question for Super-7 owners. I asked Danny for the recommended setting for the A370PEQ Delay/Phase Control for the Super-7s. He does not have it documented but does state it should be the same for all Super-7s. Mine is set at 0, which is where it was when I received them from the first owner.

Anyone have a different setting or have experimented with this feature? If so please describe how you determined the best setting.

Asking because a friend says it can make an improvement when set correctly.

Thanks for any input.

I've set mine to zero also, and that's after experimenting with it at both the 90 degree and the 180 degree settings.  Zero is where it sounded and measured best in my setup.

EDIT:  I double checked later and this post is wrong - my phase setting was at 90 degrees, not zero.  Sorry!
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2019, 02:51 pm by Tyson »

Captainhemo

« Reply #642 on: 25 Jun 2019, 12:55 am »
I have mine  at 13 clicks back from  180.   At zero, I get  a  lot of cancelation near the  the cross over  range  and   they sound thin.

I've got to do some  sweeps one of these  days but    have run through this   a  few  times with different  sets of ears and keep coming back  to  that.

jay

mikeeastman

« Reply #643 on: 25 Jun 2019, 01:14 am »
I also have mine set at zero.

Tyson

« Reply #644 on: 25 Jun 2019, 02:19 am »
I have mine  at 13 clicks back from  180.   At zero, I get  a  lot of cancelation near the  the cross over  range  and   they sound thin.

I've got to do some  sweeps one of these  days but    have run through this   a  few  times with different  sets of ears and keep coming back  to  that.

jay

I'm going to give that a try!

Captainhemo

« Reply #645 on: 25 Jun 2019, 03:05 am »
I'm going to give that a try!

Wouldn't have thought  this  would make a  difference but remember,  with the new  kits  both  SW12's  face forward.  There  are  a few  other  subtle changes   too  inclding a  differnt  wave guide  ( this wouldn't effect  the phase  stting  for the  bottom end)  and slightly deeper set Neo10  (this may  have a very slight  effect  but  I wouldn't think  much).
Be interested to know  what  some of the   folks running  the  new  S7 monitors have  the phase set  at.

jay

jay

Tyson

« Reply #646 on: 26 Jun 2019, 02:50 pm »
Wouldn't have thought  this  would make a  difference but remember,  with the new  kits  both  SW12's  face forward.  There  are  a few  other  subtle changes   too  inclding a  differnt  wave guide  ( this wouldn't effect  the phase  stting  for the  bottom end)  and slightly deeper set Neo10  (this may  have a very slight  effect  but  I wouldn't think  much).
Be interested to know  what  some of the   folks running  the  new  S7 monitors have  the phase set  at.

jay

Checked my settings last night & I was wrong earlier in this thread.  My phase setting is not set at zero it was set to 90 degrees.  Sorry about that!

"13 clicks from 180 degrees" is actually pretty close to where I had it set at 90 degrees.  It sounds really similar just based on program material.  I'll run some sweeps later today & see how it measures vs 90 degrees. 

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #647 on: 26 Jun 2019, 05:38 pm »
I’m pretty sure mine are set to 180°.

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
« Reply #648 on: 26 Jun 2019, 05:46 pm »
Ron here from NRD. Correct me if I am wrong, but in order to measure the phase of the sub, does it need to be measured with other sub playing at the same time? Im going by distant memory here but I could swear I tried measuring the phase with just one sub and it didnt do jack?

Tyson

« Reply #649 on: 26 Jun 2019, 05:58 pm »
Ron here from NRD. Correct me if I am wrong, but in order to measure the phase of the sub, does it need to be measured with other sub playing at the same time? Im going by distant memory here but I could swear I tried measuring the phase with just one sub and it didnt do jack?

Phase should be set to whatever gets you the smoothest transition between the Neo10s and the subs.  You gotta do it one speaker at a time.  Actually, once you have it dialed in for 1 speaker, the same setting should apply to the other. 

Captainhemo

« Reply #650 on: 26 Jun 2019, 06:56 pm »
yup and if it's not right, you'll lose  spl   in the crossing region due to cancellation between the  Neo 10 ( or whatever  driver  you're crorssing to) and the  sub section.
If  one is playing music on the Super 7's , say some acoustic guitar, and   someone rotates the  phase   setting, it's really easy to hear the body/life disappear

Ideally,  you'll measure the speaker on it's own to determine the -6 db point.  Then, measure the sub on its own, match the   overall response  spl  to the speaker with  the volume control (sub amp)  and  then using the c/o setting, match the -6 db point of the speaker.   Next, measure the speaker  & sub  together and note the result at the  cross over point, it should be raised  to   match the overall response.    If it does not,  adjust   phase   to reduce the cancellation.

fine tune from there

jay

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
« Reply #651 on: 26 Jun 2019, 08:05 pm »
Well, my mind just got blown. This entire time I thought the phase relationship was from sub to sub, and now realized its from mains to sub... LOL

I have been doing it wrong the entire time!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #652 on: 26 Jun 2019, 10:28 pm »
Well, my mind just got blown. This entire time I thought the phase relationship was from sub to sub, and now realized its from mains to sub... LOL

I have been doing it wrong the entire time!

Once I learned this this past year, it took my system to another level. It was evident at LSAF where many people said the system was the best they have heard it.

Early B.

« Reply #653 on: 26 Jun 2019, 11:07 pm »
This kind of information should be available in a video sticky.

bernardo

« Reply #654 on: 27 Jun 2019, 04:06 am »
Super-7 friends - I have an A370PEQ Delay/Phase Control setting for you to try - 3 clicks to the left of the 90 degree position.

Let me know if that works for you.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #655 on: 27 Jun 2019, 01:53 pm »
I use REW to dial in the phase setting. The setting is different in different rooms and usually for each speaker. There is no one correct position for the phase control.

Mike

SoCalWJS

« Reply #656 on: 27 Jun 2019, 03:03 pm »
I use REW to dial in the phase setting. The setting is different in different rooms and usually for each speaker. There is no one correct position for the phase control.

Mike
That's what I thought as well. Distance to boundary walls for the drivers, distance to the primary listening position, as well as the crossover to other drivers are all factors, and that differs to each system (room treatments also factor in which include things besides dedicated acoustic products [GIK, ASC, etc] such as building materials and other factors).

Tell me more about how you use REW to adjust phase..... :green:

Captainhemo

« Reply #657 on: 27 Jun 2019, 03:09 pm »

In a nutshell, see   post above  , #650

jay

titaniumheads

« Reply #658 on: 27 Jun 2019, 03:13 pm »
Anyone have any pics or instructions they can give on wiring the Speekon connectors to both the amps and the subs?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #659 on: 27 Jun 2019, 04:13 pm »
That's what I thought as well. Distance to boundary walls for the drivers, distance to the primary listening position, as well as the crossover to other drivers are all factors, and that differs to each system (room treatments also factor in which include things besides dedicated acoustic products [GIK, ASC, etc] such as building materials and other factors).

Check out this thread. The phase control issue starts at reply #25

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=159295.20

Mike